POssible addendum re: latex weapons

as with the current weapons in our game, the weapon's marshal has to be willing to declare the weapon safe for its intended use, striking and blocking with the sides of the weapon's striking surface; thus, due to current latex designs in the industry, no one is permitted to stab or attempt to stab anyone with the tip of a latex weapon. Additionally, for the same reasons regarding design, no player is permitted to use the skill ''waylay'' with a latex weapon. If a player wishes to be able to stab or waylay anyone with any weapon used in an Alliance game, said player must use a boffer weapon which has the standard two inch open cell foam tips on each end; thus, said player, in order to stab or waylay, must use a weapon that has been approved under our current ''non-latex'' or ''standard'' weapon guidelines.

The owners board is discussing allowing latex weapons with the above addendum. Thoughts?

I would love to use a latex weapon and wouldnt mind having those restrictions placed on me if i could use one.

Yup. It's long overdue.

That said, they would need to either (a) drop the 5/8" on all surfaces of the weapon restriction, or (b) make it so virtually no latex weapon on the market would work. If they drop the restriction for latex, there is absolutely no reason *NOT* to drop it for boffers as well - leading to much more innovative boffers.

Some latex weapons can be made for stabbing or waylaying within the current rules of Alliance (all of my maces are made this way).

If I could make some suggestions for wording.

the 5/8" requirement - word the weapon restriction along the lines of "Any non-grip area of a weapon without a defined striking edge (aka a 'flat blade') must have a minimum of 5/8" covering it. The sides of the flat blade must have a minimum of 1/4" foam between side and the core."

For thrusting/waylay tips - "Any latex weapon without open cell foam tips of at least 2" diameter across and 2" deep cannot be used to thrust with. Any latex weapon without open cell foam of at least 2" in diameter across and 2" deep on the pommel cannot be used to waylay." If you'd like to change these dimesions, feel free as I think, at least the across dimension is useless.

For cold minded issues - "If an event takes place in weather less than 35 degrees fahrenheit, the event coordinators may require that all latex weaponry be removed from the playing field due to rigidity issues."

Personally, I have never encountered a time too cold to use latex but it seems to be the #1 sticking point with HQ so the above works. Of course, include in it that weapons meeting the above guidelines can still be failed by the weapons marshal.

Nigel said:
Some latex weapons can be made for stabbing or waylaying within the current rules of Alliance (all of my maces are made this way).

If I could make some suggestions for wording.

the 5/8" requirement - word the weapon restriction along the lines of "Any non-grip area of a weapon without a defined striking edge (aka a 'flat blade') must have a minimum of 5/8" covering it. The sides of the flat blade must have a minimum of 1/4" foam between side and the core."

For thrusting/waylay tips - "Any latex weapon without open cell foam tips of at least 2" diameter across and 2" deep cannot be used to thrust with. Any latex weapon without open cell foam of at least 2" in diameter across and 2" deep on the pommel cannot be used to waylay." If you'd like to change these dimesions, feel free as I think, at least the across dimension is useless.

For cold minded issues - "If an event takes place in weather less than 35 degrees fahrenheit, the event coordinators may require that all latex weaponry be removed from the playing field due to rigidity issues."

Personally, I have never encountered a time too cold to use latex but it seems to be the #1 sticking point with HQ so the above works. Of course, include in it that weapons meeting the above guidelines can still be failed by the weapons marshal.

Indeed. I would dare say the normal Alliance boffers are way lamer to get hit with in the cold. Yes I said "lamer"... During practices there were a few bruises from overzealous hits + the cold on the current boffers.

It's not about what is lamer, it is about having the east coast owners overcome their fear of a latex weapon point going into an eye socket and out the back of the head. Personally, I have received far worse injuries from PVC/Pipe foam boffers than any UK style ones (having played in a game that used them liberally for 7 years) but it's what will get passed that counts.

It has passed. We are working on the final wording so the 5/8 inch requirement is for the striking surface only.

Dave said:
It has passed. We are working on the final wording so the 5/8 inch requirement is for the striking surface only.

Out of curiousity, are they also including weapons that can only be used for thrusting, such as a spear, in consideration for their wording? Or large headed weapons such as pole-arms, axes, maces, etc. that, according to the rules, need to be made with open-cell foam?

I noticed that the addendum passed said "thus, due to current latex designs in the industry, no one is permitted to stab or attempt to stab anyone with the tip of a latex weapon" which begs the question: What about a "latex" weapon that has thrusting tips? Can those weapons be approved under the "current" non-latex weapon rules? The following sentance is unclear, specifically in conjunction with the underlined parts: "If a player wishes to be able to stab or waylay anyone with any weapon used in an Alliance game, said player must use a boffer sap or a boffer weapon which has the standard two inch open cell foam tips on each end; thus, said player, in order to stab or waylay, must use a weapon that has been approved under our current non-latex, standard weapon guidelines."

I suspect that if a weapon conforms to the old rules, latex or not, then it can be used freely.

With the approval of the weapons marshal on site, yes, you could used a waylay tip on a latex weapon.

As to the larger weapons, they have not been specifically barred. My thought is that it is up to the weapons marshal to determine safety of the weapons and allow/disallow the weapons as the case may be.

Congratulations?

Thanks. I've been pushing latex weaponry for some time now and glad to see things are coming along and Alliance is joining the 21st century of LARPing.

Back