Posted: A PUBLIC DENOUNCEMENT

Aden Corso

POSTED
in the TAVERN and TOWN HALL

A PUBLIC PROCLAMATION
by
ADEN CORSO, GENTLEMAN of COURT

GIVEN THE EVENTS that occured during the disastrous parlay with the FIEND BARON HEROD, I must publicly denounce the actions of BARONESS KATHERINE VON HEISEL in her delivering of the young Baroness Gwenivere Thane into the hands of our enemy. It is widely known that I have enjoyed the favour of Baroness von Heisel in the past, and gone to great lengths to make my support of her ladyship known. However, I cannot condone the recklessness and foolishness of her actions in giving Baron Herod back his most desired treat, packed up like A CAGED SONGBIRD to a starving and feral cat. In this gentleman’s opinion, she has weakened the position of our own Prince Malidor and Lord Brightstone, and has BITTERLY IMPERILED the young Baroness, exposing her to that utter toad of a man’s worst predilections.

THE LACK OF JUDGEMENT exhibited by her ladyship in this case, and her neglect in alerting Lord Brightstone to the fact of their impending arrival so that appropriate precautions could be made, speaks of a wild and disquieting disregard for proper protocol as much as for common sense. The Outpost does not need allies such as this! With her SENSELESS ACTIONS, the Baroness Thane has been taken from us, and a valuable ally lost. I urge my fellow citizens to REJECT AND DECRY any more of her so-called ‘aid’ that may come in the future. Let the Baroness von Heisel return to her fine estate in Koval and leave the handling of the war to those of us who call this place Home. If she had a shred of decency, she would feel UNBEARABLE SHAME for tossing her ward to the wolves. LET US BE RID of her malign influence, and carry on as best we can.

Signed for all to witness,
ADEN CORSO

Last edited:
"Aden, what are you doing?" Sorocco demands. "The Baroness is not at fault for this. She is the only reason we have any idea where Guinevere is. I understand being distraught about Guinevere, but she decided to face Herod herself. Casting blame on our allies is not going to get her back.
"Besides, if you are looking to cast blame, why not cast it at Lord Brightstone? He's the one who agreed to the parlay in the first place."

'When I trekked across the continent to take Baroness Thane somewhere safe, it was supposed to be for the duration of the fight. I crossed the Empire itself, and Baroness von Heisel agreed to take her in and keep her safe and hidden. That she then, out of the blue, brought her back into an active warzone was an absolute betrayal of my -- and Gwenivere's -- trust.' Aden lowers his voice. 'And Sorocco, take care to whom you mention that we have a way to find her. Herod has eyes and ears everywhere.' He pauses, then continues. 'And do not blame Lord Brightstone for what has occurred. What makes you think that cowardly pig Herod would have attempted to violate parlay if he could not take back his 'wife'? He probably knew of her arrival before we did. No, I tell you that Lord Brightstone is not to blame. I tell you if it were not for his efforts, this war would already be lost.'

*Bubbles seems confused*

"Wait... Which one is Baroness Von Heisel? That isn't the one where that a$$hole Styles McGuiness took her son, is it? 'Cause she was awesome. I don't want anyone talking $hit about about her..."

*Bubbles seems confused*

"Wait... Which one is Baroness Von Heisel? That isn't the one where that a$$hole Styles McGuiness took her son, is it? 'Cause she was awesome. I don't want anyone talking $hit about about her..."
"That is the one, Bubbles. And I agree, she does not deserve this slander."

'It is not slander to call a betrayal a betrayal, nor to say she has made the situation much worse than it was, nor to say that she should feel shame for her actions. This blind affection without thought of the horrible consequences we now face -- of which she is the architect -- baffles me. Truly, I ask, what has she done for you? What has she done, other than leave the entire Outpost weakened and exposed?'

'It is not slander to call a betrayal a betrayal, nor to say she has made the situation much worse than it was, nor to say that she should feel shame for her actions. This blind affection without thought of the horrible consequences we now face -- of which she is the architect -- baffles me. Truly, I ask, what has she done for you? What has she done, other than leave the entire Outpost weakened and exposed?'
"She's done nothing worse than I have. You say she brought Guinevere into danger, but Guinevere insisted on meeting the Baron herself, even when someone attempted to stop her. You cannot fault Baroness Heisel for letting a woman make her own decisions. You seem to forget that the Baroness was killed in that parlay, and only avoided resurrecting because Puck was there. She put herself in as much danger as Guinevere did. If you are going to blame the Baroness for doing something that turned badly, then you should blame me just as much, for my cursing of the Baron that invoked his wrath. And if you choose to do so, then excuse me while I join Baroness Von Heisel in her exile. I have more important things to do than sling mud at our allies."

Aden Corso shakes his head as he rubs his brow. 'You have an interesting method of choosing whether or not to assign blame. Your curse didn't start this war, Baron Herod's greed and ambition did. Baroness Thane did not come here to join a parlay, Baron Herod sent word to have it after his spies had reported she had been brought here by Baroness von Heisel -- in a violation of an agreement previously made and without any consultation beforehand. That Guinevere is gone -- not to mention Squire Hildr -- is without question the fault of the Baroness of Koval. Had she not been present at the parlay, there stood a chance that we could have pressed our advantage and negotiated terms and a peace wildly in our favour. That is lost to us know, just as the young baroness and her guardian are lost to us. You will see that I am right before long.'

*Bubbles shrugs*

"I messed up when I thought my money pouch was lost and someone put it in Sigfried's bag. I don't wanna blame until we talk to Baroness Heisel more. We don't know for sure if it was a betrayal or a mistake."

*Pauses to look at Sorocco and Corso*

"Can we focus on hating the Baron instead of hating her too? I don't have enough hate to go around for everyone. I just want a big water bucket for Styles and..." *ponders* "...maybe we should smoosh wedding cake in the Baron's face? Or we could lock him in a bathroom."

Last edited:
To Aden Corso, Impassioned Man and Noble Heart, A Response.

I owe you no explanation for my actions. You cannot know the depth of my heart nor the depth of my logic. However, after much thought, and a few bottles of my best wine, I decided a public response is warranted.

I call you out for your kindness. I challenge you to never leave that goodness that denounced me. I defy all that would tell you to silence such sentiment. And I thank you for the bravery that it may have taken to say such publicly. Many feel the same as you but did not dare spend words to make it known. Many do not feel as you do, and also stayed silent. There is bravery in speaking out. I salute that bravery.

Let me then speak out as needs must be.

I defy you Gaius Herrod. I challenge your right to hold that Barony you claim in the name of Gwenivere Thane. You have abused your title with and in behalf of the people you should protect. I am posting this in every Barony. In every hamlet, town and city I have access to.

This is an Empire -- not a Despot’s and a Villain's Playground. All lives, destined and otherwise, are noble. However, those of us born -- without a choice -- to higher positions, whether by fate or parentage are CALLED TO LEAD. CALLED TO SACRIFICE. I am one who will not shirk this duty nor hide behind the safety of my walls.

Baroness Thane is young. She did not ask to be the consort of a brute and a murderer. She did not ask to be a pawn. Make no mistake. SHE IS NOT A PAWN. Neither am I.

We agreed to Parlay. We agreed to a peaceful and honorable discussion and we were met with deceit and dishonor and murder.

Baronies -- this is who Gaius Herod has become. He believe he can use his power and terror to control you. He connections to commerce to coerce you. Forget what his actions were as a youth. He has shown us the tree he has become by the rotten fruit he casts down. Unite against this man, who is not noble by any definition, unless you are of his kind. And if you are, we will all -- noble, peasant, destined, or not, UNITE AGAINST YOU.

I have seen other lands, other baronies. I know that Might is in the RIGHT of what we do. I am not afraid to wield that sword. Right over terror. Right to freedom. Right to love and to speak out for that love. And yes, the Right to Sacrifice for the greater good.

That is the sword I will wield against Gaius Herrod.

In the memory of and for all those whom I have loved and lost, I cannot do less.

upload_2018-9-24_12-34-13.png
Katherine Von Heisel,
Beloved Wife of Our Murdered Emperor
Baroness of Veldon
Ally and friend to all of Malador’s Outpost

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-24_12-34-1.png
    upload_2018-9-24_12-34-1.png
    32.4 KB · Views: 3
Back