POSTED: Bounty and Reward Opportunity!

Dr_Chill

Fighter
The actions of the kobold population against the local populace has been increasing. These actions have caused the loss of life, property, trade goods, and has hampered overall travel around Hope's Reach (old Fort Miller area).

Therefore, a reward is being offered for those willing to do their part in preserving the safety of our families and trade to the region. The bounty on kobolds will be the return of a kobold's right ear for the bounty as follows:

Amount required - Reward per ear
0 to 4 right ears - 3cp per ear
5 to 10 right ears - 4cp per ear
11 to 15 right ears - 5cp per ear
Over 15 right ears - 5cp per ear
Over 50 right ears - 5cp per ear and a free brew

As you can see, the more ears you turn in at once, the more of a reward you will be eligible for!

This bounty will only be available for a limited time, so hurry and take advantage of this lucrative opportunity now!

For those looking to claim their reward, or for questions, come and see McGregor at the Falcon's Roost.

Posted by:
McGregor
Proprietor of the Falcon's Roost
Guardian of Hope's Reach

Interesting concept you've got there, putting out bounties for parts of thinking creatures. Buying Sarr pelts as well?

-Shin

By the laws of Gaden, these are the sentient races: Human, Barbarian, Gypsies, High Orcs, High Ogres, Biata, Stone Elves, Sarr, Wylderkyn, Hoblings, Dryads, Dark Elves, and Mystic Wood Elves. Murder is described as the unprovoked taking of sentient life to the causing of a resurrection, the lesser charge of attempted Murder is included and used when the intended victim is restored to health via a life spell and punishable by a single death and a period of enforced service. The death of a kobold is treated legally along the lines of thinning the population of deer, a necessity in populated areas. I believe that owning a Sarr Pelt would legally fall at most under Assault, Kidnapping, Murder, Theft and Smuggling; thus the total "going rate" would be 2 deaths, forced service (three counts towards), seizure of the pelt, reparations to victim (or victim's family) of twice the value, plus 25 gold to the crown. The fact that the pelt existed would require the Sarr to be permenantly dead, thus the 2 deaths could be increased to an obliterate.

The kobold population in the area of Hope's Reach, I believe, is not inflated and in fact barely exists. I could be incorrect in this as my maps of local populations are several years old. I would recommend against curbing it any farther as they are a natural part of the wildlife and should be "thinned" only when they become a major nuisance in an area. Often, they may be cheaply dealt with by a small stipend each month to keep them away.

Lady Sibhoan Grey

I dunno, I think this might be a cause I could stand be'ind.

-Alyce

Fynwei said:
By the laws of Gaden, these are the sentient races: Human, Barbarian, Gypsies, High Orcs, High Ogres, Biata, Stone Elves, Sarr, Wylderkyn, Hoblings, Dryads, Dark Elves, and Mystic Wood Elves.
Excuse me, Lady Grey, but I assume you accidentally omitted the ordinary Elven race from your list, and if not, I have matters to tend to with the lawmakers of Gaden.

Gandian Ravenscroft
Merchant of Gaden

My deepest and most sincere apologies, Gandian Ravenscroft. My sleep has been both troubled and oft-disturbed of late. I did indeed forget the entire Elven population as well as the Dwarves. This was not meant as a slight toward either race, but merely a grave error upon my recitation of the laws. My humblest apologies.

Lady Sibhoan Grey
Leader of the Grey Blades
Civil Servant of King Nerak
Former Head Guardswoman of the Western Outposts
Former Lady-in-Waiting to Duchess Solemne Turina of Kethunaira.

Lady Grey, you should notice that Shin said thinking creatures. Nowhere did she mention sentient creatures the crown can be troubled with protecting. Perhaps if kobolds paid taxes we would consider this affair differently.

Zell

Ladies and Gentlemen of Hopes Reach,
I'm not entirely sure what prompted this target to be placed on the head of kobolds. At this point it really doesn't matter. I come before all inhabitants of with a simple plea. The military has abandoned us here at hopes reach. Even as we adventurers stay to defend the area from the corrupt. The local seneschal (military official) regards some of us as lowly "mist walkers". He even adds quite a disdainful tone when referring to us. I understand as the law defines them, that kobolds are not sentient creatures and are afforded no protection under the laws of Gaden. However they too have had to defend themselves from corrupt and as I speak to you now a large group I have communicated with move down from Roskaria. They come to live in harmony with us in the area. We could use every sword we can muster up to fight with us in these days. I say give the kobolds a chance. If they can pay taxes in this land and get along with those of us that reside here well enough what is the harm? Can I defend them from you if you still choose to cut their ears from their heads...? No. But I beg of you... give them a chance. At least attempt to talk to them. Let's change the perspective on kobolds. Turn them to allies rather than viewing them as animals and with this bounty, enemies. They study magics, dream, play, laugh and cry as we all do. I've definitely met worse sentient beings than some kobolds i have encountered. Sure there are bad apples in every race, but to pass judgment on the entire race based on the actions of a few is wrong. Let us lead the cause to do right....

-Lok of Harbors Far, Captain

David_Aselrik said:
Lady Grey, you should notice that Shin said thinking creatures. Nowhere did she mention sentient creatures the crown can be troubled with protecting. Perhaps if kobolds paid taxes we would consider this affair differently.

Zell

Not to be rude, but that is a 'he', Zell. I know some have trouble telling the gender of wildkin, especially from a painting, so I am certainly not offended.

-Shin

To the citizens of Hope's Reach:

Let it be known that the Guardian Counsel of Hope's Reach has not authorized nor does it at this time support the invitation of Kobolds from other lands to move into the Hope's Reach area. While we all fight against the corrupt together as brothers, The Counsel does not support the destabilization of the region by supporting a mass influx of kobolds to the region.

To further discourage this potential invasion, the bounty on kobolds has been increased.

Furthermore, as we all need allies against the corrupt, The Counsel is willing to listen and entertain ideas from any and all who fight against the corrupt. Those who do, may send a petition in writing to a Counsel Member or meet with us in person on the 15th of this month.

Again, The Guardian Counsel of Hope's Reach does not wish to jeopardize nor dishonor the hard-fought security we have bought with sweat, blood, tears, and spirit. We serve to provide, preserve, and protect the region of Hope's Reach as we all fight against our common enemy the Corrupt.

Should the mist walkers from the lands of "Harbor's Far" wish to invite kobolds to live with them, then they should return to their lands through the mist from whence they came, where they are free to do with their lands as they see fit.

Due to the high visibility and low security of communications within the dream lands, this is all The Counsel will be stating on this matter in this medium.

Regards,

McGregor
Guardian of Hope's Reach

P.S. On a personal note, while I have many mist walker friends and can appreciate many different viewpoints; I take offense that a bunch of mist walkers, that have very little knowledge of my home, have decided to instigate trouble where I live. When I visit other lands, I respect the laws of their land and do not seek to cause or increase conflict with those that call those lands their home by outright slander, veiled threats, nor any other actions. This is all I will say on this matter in this medium. -McGregor

sir... i know you did not misunderstand a plea for peace for slander or insults. that is all. if you must kill your defenseless creatures, there isn't a person who is going to stop you. its as simple as that.

and i'm glad you know so much about harbors far to be so judgemental on these people who value life. you know nothing of our culture, so please do not pass judgement. i just hope for your companions' sake that you are far more compromising with them.

though your blatant contradictions in your own language are why it must be that you have thought this a threat of a war of some kind, because you do not welcome any claw that is wiling to fight on your behalf. i cannot emphasize this enough, there are creatures willing to fight with you against the corrupt, how can you deny that?

i implore you once more to reconsider. there are no threats, there is no invasion, just an attempt at peace. if you still won't budge, that is your decision, and i do not hold a grudge. i am still ready to fight to keep the lands i am in safe. as i am sure all of us will. you won't have any trouble from us

-Captain James the Inconceivable of Harbors far

i guess you weren't there when the man you allowed to be mistaken for you attacked a kobold and he imprisoned that guy in a block of ice. that ice wasn't melting.

instead of throwing that guy off a cliff, they returned him to his compatriots, you, and released him from the ice. even after you started attacking them, they did not respond in kind. you can't claim that they are a menace. you claim they are violent menace, but you got him back thanks to the fact that those kobolds value our lives.

yar... it ain't right when you blame a poor creature for the violence you commit

-Captain James the Inconceivable of Harbors Far

Postby Dr_Chill » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:58 am
Fellow Citizens of Hope's Reach (the area formerly known as Fort Miller),

As you by now have noticed, that despite the army pulling out of the area, that we have decided to stand with you to not only fight the corrupt, but to defend your homes and this land. Under the guidance of the 5 Guardians, we, like you, call this place home.

Thus far we have been able to hold off the onslaught of the corrupt, and we will continue to do so. However, there are fewer of us now than there were when the army was here, which makes it difficult to defend everyone and everywhere at once. We are not asking everyone to become soldiers and fight, but what we would like to do it to give you some skills to defend not only your homes but your families as well.

In three weeks time, we will be having a training session that is free to all citizens of Hope's Reach. At this time we will be providing one spear and one dagger per household (available while supplies last) with training on how to use these tools defensively, free of charge. Again, we do not expect you to become soldiers, but rather we seek to give you the tools and skills you may need to defend your families.

The training will begin shortly after breakfast on the 31st of this month. So come to the Falcon's Roost, check in to receive your spear and dagger, have some breakfast, and then be prepared to learn.

Kind Regards,

McGregor
Guardian of Hope's Reach

*Deep Breath, much akin to a heart ached sigh* McGregor,
I first attempted to find your invitation for the men/women of Harbors Far to come and converse over an ale or beer. I was unable to. It seems to have been a discarded dream bubble. I was however able to find this. First I wish to applaud all of your efforts thus far in regards to your efforts here in Hopes Reach. You have done an incredible job of defending the lands thus far. You are a great warrior and respected by many in the regeion, including the "mist-walkers" of Harbors Far.
The first part I chose to highlight spoke of 5 Guardians. If you speak for all Guardians as a chairman then I apologize for overstepping your post. However I wish to hear the opinions of any other filled seats. I have trouble believing someone who wrote the next part I chose to highlight not wishing for more allies, and even being so brazen as to push a high bounty onto the Kobolds insuring conflict. If the numbers are truly lower now than why not take an effort to bolster them?
Imagine yourself a Kobold. Hunted and if a good natured one only trying to fit in with other seemingly civilized creatures. Although now you find a bounty on your head. You are hunted for sport. If you had any hostility toward a particular race it is only heightened by this. You find yourself between a rock(corrupt) and a hard place (sentient beings wanting to cleave your ears from your head for sport).
The next portion i chose to focus on was where you mentioned the families of the region and defending them. Kobolds will defend their families as well. You just need to decide weather it is from the corrupt or from the adventurers of hopes reach.
This is all I will say on this matter in this medium. -McGregor
To end conversation in this medium is simply an attempt to dodge intelligent and open debate.Regardless of culture or origin every culture needs open conversation. I plead with you to continue this conversation. We "mist-walkers" only wish to stand beside you, Great Warrior called McGregor. Why not bring a couple of good natured kobolds along for the ride?

-Lok of Harbors Far, Captain

Dr_Chill said:
To the citizens of Hope's Reach:

Let it be known that the Guardian Counsel of Hope's Reach has not authorized nor does it at this time support the invitation of Kobolds from other lands to move into the Hope's Reach area. While we all fight against the corrupt together as brothers, The Counsel does not support the destabilization of the region by supporting a mass influx of kobolds to the region.

To further discourage this potential invasion, the bounty on kobolds has been increased.

Furthermore, as we all need allies against the corrupt, The Counsel is willing to listen and entertain ideas from any and all who fight against the corrupt. Those who do, may send a petition in writing to a Counsel Member or meet with us in person on the 15th of this month.

Again, The Guardian Counsel of Hope's Reach does not wish to jeopardize nor dishonor the hard-fought security we have bought with sweat, blood, tears, and spirit. We serve to provide, preserve, and protect the region of Hope's Reach as we all fight against our common enemy the Corrupt.

Should the mist walkers from the lands of "Harbor's Far" wish to invite kobolds to live with them, then they should return to their lands through the mist from whence they came, where they are free to do with their lands as they see fit.

Due to the high visibility and low security of communications within the dream lands, this is all The Counsel will be stating on this matter in this medium.

Regards,

McGregor
Guardian of Hope's Reach

McGregor,

Considering the severity of the Corrupt plight I understand and respect the call for help. My Kin have been openly engaging the Corrupt on their territory, apparently Corrupt cant swim so we swim to them. I have no official status amongst my kin , If you wish to speak to me about an alliance between the forces of Gaden and my kin then speak to me at the next market day. It will not be an official meeting however I can entertain the idea and pass it along to my Kin.

I await your reply.

D'rezz Zandrick - House Rioyaru

McGregor, last time we spoke, you said you wished all kobolds dead for they killed your friends. Well humans have killed my friends. In fact just this past fortnight, bandits made an attempt on the life of one of my friends, Chakunew. I was able to put aside my hatred and forgive "humans" for their crimes and I ask you to do the same for Kobolds. Otherwise, you are unfairly condemning a whole race to death. The counsel should not proceed with this genocide because of your intolerance for a people. You've already slain many kobolds in your cold vengeance. Isn't that enough? Furthermore, you are jeopardizing everyone's lives by declaring war on Kobolds when we need every sword, tooth and claw we can muster against the corrupt. Instead of safely overpowering the corrupt, you would have us fight a two front war! Aren't you already responsible for enough lost life? I'm sorry for your losses, but if you continue down this path, you will become a monster far greater than any other threat that plagues these lands.

Dr_Chill said:
I take offense that a bunch of mist walkers, that have very little knowledge of my home, have decided to instigate trouble where I live. When I visit other lands, I respect the laws of their land and do not seek to cause or increase conflict with those that call those lands their home by outright slander, veiled threats, nor any other actions.
I fully agree with you on this matter, McGregor.

I cannot help but notice that it is the people of Harbors Far starting debate and toil again, yet I believe that not one of you has set foot in Hope's Reach. I find advice on the topic of Hope's Reach's safety and efforts against the Corrupt given from someone who has not experienced the true struggle that is the Corrupt little worth listening to at all. You speak of "making peace" and even "imagine yourself as a Kobold", even though you have little idea what we are dealing with. Let those of us who know our land and our troubles deal with our troubles for now, and once you experience them firsthand and smarten up a bit, then I might be willing to listen to your input a little more.

The fact of the matter is this: Conditions in Hope's Reach are not great. In these times of strife, it is everyone's best interest to listen to and obey the Guardians of Hope's Reach, not squabble over their every word and make yourself heard above them. If you cannot contend with this, then I suggest you leave Gaden, or at least the Hope's Reach area.

~ Gandian Ravenscroft
Merchant of Gaden

there you go again blaming a whole people for one persons actions. I played an idiot, and you rightly took offense at what I said. I will never fault you for my being taken for an idiot, because I was being one. But you need not project my attitude on the whole people. Just the same as I will not faul the guardian of hopes reach for his decision because I am obviously not understanding something.

we have fought before. We know what it is like to face certain death and lose everything for each of us has lost our homes friends and family. The only thing we have is the few who are somehow stumbling through the mists. The corrupt don't frighten me. They don't frighten us. They haven't stolen your people from you yet. I hope that day never comes and I will fight to make sure that doesn't happen. You don't know us in harbors far, you don't know me as anything other than a flippant idiot which I assure you is not who I am. I have no excuse for how I acted, but that is not a defence for marginalizing a whole country

dragonfire8974 said:
They haven't stolen your people from you yet.
Once again, you fail to know what you are speaking about before you say it. Does losing my beloved brother to the Corrupt some forty-five years ago count for nothing? I may even have lost my parents, maybe even my old troupe, to them. But according to you, I haven't had my people stolen from me yet. Apparently family and friends don't matter to you in the way they do to other people, or if they do, make sure you know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
dragonfire8974 said:
You don't know us in harbors far
And you don't know us here in Gaden.

~ Gandian Ravenscroft
Merchant of Gaden

Back