Potion Coating Clarification

AlikVanmil

Hello, just wanting some clarification on the "Potion Coating" Ritual effect.

Potion Coating - The Potion Coating Ritual allows an Earth Potion to be applied to a weapon in the same manner as a contact poison. These are delivered with the Spell qualifier. This Ritual may be combined with other Rituals as appropriate.

Is this a static effect? (You can use it as many times as you want during the day) Or a times per day/times ever effect?

EDIT: as well what would the call be when you swing with the potion on it?

Last edited:
I was also curious about this one. Can the effect be held back or does it have to be the next swing after application?

It would be the next swing. I have to check if the "Posion trigger" works on potions as well though. Not 100% sure.

Poison Trigger, Potion Coating, and Poison Cache can all be combined for a weapon which can take multiple coatings and/or potions and choose when to swing with any of them. Make good friends with your local Potion Makers and Alchemists to keep you supplied.

Note that Necromantic Potions still count as Potions and can be loaded in as well, if you're willing to use them...

Poison Trigger, Potion Coating, and Poison Cache can all be combined for a weaponP which can take multiple coatings and/or potions and choose when to swing with any of them. Make good friends with your local Potion Makers and Alchemists to keep you supplied.

Note that Necromantic Potions still count as Potions and can be loaded in as well, if you're willing to use them...

...I would pay quite a bit of coin to get my hands on those rituals. I want/need the ultimate poison blade.

The only thing that still isn't clear is whether or not the potion coating ritual is cast on the potion or the weapon receiving the potion. If it is cast on potions, can it be cast on multiple at once? I can't wait to have the pick-me-up stick.

Thanks for the clarification mythic!

Is this a static effect? (You can use it as many times as you want during the day) Or a times per day/times ever effect?

EDIT: as well what would the call be when you swing with the potion on it?

The call should be "Spell <potion>" (eg, "Spell Disease"). It is not stated in the playtest rules whether the effect is static/unlimited or times per day per ritual casting, but I'm sure someone can step in and answer that. :)

Poison Trigger, Potion Coating, and Poison Cache can all be combined for a weapon which can take multiple coatings and/or potions and choose when to swing with any of them. Make good friends with your local Potion Makers and Alchemists to keep you supplied.

Will these be limited to end of event like spell store and defensives? I would assume so, but you never know.

Edit: also would you be able to spell these then into a spell store? That seems like a flaw in the system and shouldn't be able to be done...

It says it acts the same as a contact poison. So I would say that no, you could not spell store it because to absorb a spell it must be touch casted while a weapon coating must be swung to be used.

On whether it's a per day or static effect, I would say that if Poison Trigger or Poison Cache is static, so too should be Potion Coating, too keep it in line with the "Potion acts as a Poison" intent of the ritual.

Okay. That was my hope but perhaps there should be clarification. It isn't swung as "poison Cure wounds", it is swung as "spell cure wounds". This will leave it open for people to believe they can in fact spell strike into a spell store.

You can't Spellstrike into a Spell Store under the current rules, nor can you under the new rules - you have to touch-cast into a Spell Store. The Potion Coating doesn't change that in the slightest.

What skill is used to apply the potion? Do you need one rank of alchemy to apply or 1 rank of Create Potion? That would suck having to buy alchemy to use a potion.

What skill is used to apply the potion? Do you need one rank of alchemy to apply or 1 rank of Create Potion? That would suck having to buy alchemy to use a potion.

I imagine alchemy, since to apply anything to a weapon you need at least one rank in it, and a potion is acting like a poison in this instance.

So now I have to spend 12 build to use a magic item. Like I said that sucks. Screw the earth casters even more. This looked like an earth version of the celestials being able to charge spell stores with scrolls. But if it is going to require the heavy build investment of alchemy then it went from kind of a cool ritual to "Gee, that really blows."

Last edited:
So now I have to spend 12 build to use a magic item. Like I said that sucks. Screw the earth casters even more.

I think one of the main parts of 2.0 is to encourage working with other people. So you don't need to spend the 12 build, but you can ask one of your friendly neighborhood alchemists to apply it for you.

But, that is just my assumption/how I interpreted the rules.

Back