Power Leveling

DiscOH

Artisan
What's the best way to gain those sweet sweet build points?

I've heard of locations giving year season passes for blankets, what are some of the tricks to tier up?

Well my first suggestion is not to focus on power leveling. Sure, having a sweet Terminate with a couple of Dodges, or being able to refit armor in just 30 seconds is cool but you should focus on enjoying the game for what it is instead of trying to get to a higher level with everyone else. If it seems that you're being ineffectual at events, talk to your plot staff about writing some lower level mods for the lower level people. When I first joined, it took me nearly 7 months of constant whining that everything I hit for 2 Normal in the game said "No Effect" and to please put in stuff that only the lowbies could get to. And this was during a time where you had to turn in actual coin to make your full blanket. These days, I've been to chapters where they've had very clever and important IG ways to have lowbies feel just as important in the game as the most powerful characters.

But if you're focused on pumping up your character as quickly as possible, there are a few ways - especially if you have the coin to spare:

First, check with your local game with what they may need purchased. Buying/supplying needed materials for your local chapter not only will get you large amounts of gobbies to spend but also will help to improve your local game to everyone's benefit.

Next is registering with other chapters and you can do the "Pay no play" to level your character and again donating items to that chapter as well will get you more gobbies to spend on top of the blanket of experience that your character received. It's important to remember (and someone will correct me if I'm wrong) that you can only "Pay no Play" your character on separate weekends. You cannot earn experience for two games that transpire on the same weekend. I am not sure about goblin point blankets though. I also don't know if you can apply blankets to all of your characters for the same month.

Concentrating on playing the game, having fun, and making a memorable character will most likely lead to a better and more enjoyable experience for you than worrying about power scaling and leveling.

That said, spend money, get blankets, as markusdark notes. In January or so, several chapters have historically done yearly passes to blanket their games at a discount to fund major purchases for the year.

Interestingly, I don't think monthly goblin blankets are in print in the Rulebook anymore. Buying the experience for events is on P149, at 30GS per day, but I can't find the monthly. For those chapters I've played, the standard has always been a single day's experience per month, only able to be applied to a character homed in that chapter, for 30GS.

One thing to consider, which is not often stated to new players, is that the majority of character power once past the early points where one is getting several build per weekend paradoxically stops being build, but but rather becomes magic items. Keep this in mind when deciding how to spend your OOG resources. At low levels you can gain build quickly enough to pick up more useful skills that way faster, but in a couple years of dedicated pursuit of power you'll be at the point where it is much easier to pick up abilities you cannot get with build via the MI system. Apply this to in-game resources as well, and be cautious about giving up ritual components or ritual scrolls for coin without ensuring that you're getting a decent deal in the local economy, because those represent the main method of power generation for more experienced characters for whom coin is only really useful as a way to buy more components, scrolls, and magic items from each other.

Something as simple as a +1 damage aura is a huge force multiplier on the right character, as that single item is the equivalent of 15 to 40 build depending on the wielder's class. Most other items aren't as obvious, but it's a lot cheaper to get 120 build worth of 'free' weapon proficiency out of a Scholar with a +3 weapon than it is for a Fighter to pick up a 120 build spell column in items.

The three west coast chapters generally don't overlap, so Oregon and Seattle are probably good buyback/season pass choices. Denver tries not to overlap with us either, but there's only so many weeks.

Hey there,

Words of advice from someone who did just this:

1) I absolutely support the idea of donating to other chapters and boosting your character level. This helps fund other chapters to make their games better, and since build points are diminishing returns, it's really not all that big of a deal, balance wise.

2) Take into consideration that your accumulated treasure will be less than someone who got their slower, so you'll have a bit of a magic-item deficiency.

Back