Proposed Mages Competition

Pantzike

Scout
Nathan Westwind has presented the framework for a new and exciting form of Wand Combat for Wizard Duels.

I am attempting to gauge interest for a Spellcasters Duel, either in a Bracket or more traditional "grand melee".

The rules would be a modified "Caldarian Style", specifically:

-Entrants must be capable of casting earth or celestial spells.
-Ritual Effects, Battle Magic Scrolls, Weapons, Armor, Alchemy, and Alchemical effects are prohibited.
-Circle of power, and self cast prisons are prohibited during the competition.

-All High Magic is to be allowed. This allows for Celestial Armor, where Arcane Armor is otherwise disallowed.

- Entrants may not have any spell protectives active on them before the start of any event. Protectives may be kept from one match to the next.

Incapacitated entrants are considered eliminated, and will be removed from the field immediately. They may not be brought back into the competition by fixing their incapacitation.

Incapacitation will be considered any and all of the following - unconsciousness, bound, webbed, confined, imprisoned, dead, paralyzed, sleeping, Silenced (unless capable of using a weapon in a competition where allowed) High magic is allowed to be used to remove an incapacitated condition from oneself, but must be done immediately upon receiving the effect. "Possuming" of any kind is disallowed.

Strict Caldarian rules allow for the use of wands. However, given that there is a separate Wand oriented competition, I will be disallowing the use of wands in this contest. If there is sufficient outcry, wands can be reinstated.

Also, Tar'Navaria seems to be able to grant magical abilities or gifts from the vary land itself. Use of any of these powers would be disallowed in this competition.

This will be one of the following:

-Ladder style single elimination tournament with random starting positions for each round, Random bye on first round only if necessary. (my preference)

-More traditional "Grand Mages Melee" with all entrants on a field with defined parameters.

I am unsure of local laws and customs for your Festival. If this competition violates no local laws I wish to find out who I need to speak to, in order to get permission to run this. My goal is to impact the scheduled events a little as possible by running this myself, foregoing my own entry.

If permission is granted, I will likely charge an entry fee with the prize money being split as follows: 1st place gets half of pool. 2nd place gets one quarter of the pool, with the remaining quarter being given to a charity of Baron Ivan Drake's choosing.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions.

Thank you,

Qiu Jun-Wu

Qiu Jun-Wu,

Perhaps you should conact the planning committee.

Red
Blythdale High Guard

(Oog-Donno if Donna or Collin saw this. Shoot them the idea.)

Qiu Jun-Wu,

I believe a wizard's competition is already planned and I believe Nathan Westwind would have more details, if you are interested.

--- Baron Ivan Drake of Blythedale

Baron Ivan Drake,

The only Wizard's competition so far announced is for Celestial Wizards only with an emphasis on Wand use. While I look forward to watching this new form of skill contest, it does not focus on other forms of spell use, and entirely excludes Earth Mages.

Whereas Nathan Westwind' competition places a focus on Wand usage, my proposed competition will focus on Spell and High Magic usage.

I am most concerned with inadvertnatny violating any laws or customs that I am unaware of.

Thank you for your response and I look forward to seeing you again this weekend.

Qiu Jun-Wu

Nathan Westwind,

Thank you for enlightening me to the nature of the competitions, and tournament. I will keep that in mind for future visits to the area.

I'm still very interested to see if it can be provisionally worked into the schedule as an exhibition of sorts, as I do not wish to take away from the luster of any of the existing tournament opportunities.

If this is possible, I wanted to get the rules in the back of peoples minds, quite literally, before they arrive at the tournament. If it is not possible, I look forward to enjoying what the tournament does have to offer.

Thank you all for your help,

Qiu Jun-Wu

Pantzike said:
Baron Ivan Drake,

The only Wizard's competition so far announced is for Celestial Wizards only with an emphasis on Wand use. While I look forward to watching this new form of skill contest, it does not focus on other forms of spell use, and entirely excludes Earth Mages.

Whereas Nathan Westwind' competition places a focus on Wand usage, my proposed competition will focus on Spell and High Magic usage.

I am most concerned with inadvertnatny violating any laws or customs that I am unaware of.

Thank you for your response and I look forward to seeing you again this weekend.

Qiu Jun-Wu

Qui Jun-Wu,

Please excuse my ignorance. I know little of spellcasting and wands and therefore did not carefully listen to your dreamwords. I apologize.

As Nathan has said, it may be difficult to "officially" add an event to the already crowded schedule.

Good luck!

--- Baron Ivan Drake

Your Excellency,

I am sad that you have been convinced to sully your honorable festival of blades with a competition that glorifies Fairy magic and utter disrespect for the elements that wand "duelling" shows. I do feel that this Qiu Jun-Wu's mages battle is a better test of magical skill. Perhaps your excellency would let Qiu Jun-Wu hold an unofficial contest, with his champion facing your duelling champion in what would be surely a highly wagered-upon battle.

-Dorgun the person who is Dorgun and is addicted to gambling.

Back