Proscribe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draven

Count
Master Bastard convinces Johnny to let him into the town's permanent Earth Circle of Power. He then incapacitates Johnny with a Death spell or three.

Master Bastard knows that nobody should be arriving for at least a half hour, so he drops the limb of an permed ogre in the circle and casts a Proscribe.

Am I correct in my understanding that the circle is now destroyed?

If the circle has resists, will that help? I realize this isn't Destroy Magic, but it's still a destroying effect.

Just seems like a remarkably easy way to just wipe a circle if you really have a mind to.

For reference, the Proscribe Ritual scroll text:

The ritual caster must spend 30 minutes in the casting of this ritual. The Proscribe lasts for 1 year. This is a General Aspect ritual and will always be the same as the aspect of the ritual caster.

This ritual will create a circle of protection against certain creature types based on their spirit. The resulting Proscribe Circle is twice the diameter of the Circle of Power used to cast this ritual, expanding from the center of this original Circle of Power and destroying it in the process. In addition to the components for the ritual, parts or a permanently dead body of the targeted creature type must be in the Circle of Power for the entire ritual. No body or body part containing a spirit will be able to be Proscribed and the body or body part must have been separated from its spirit for no more than twenty-four hours.

Base Difficulty, Difficulty 15, Catalyst + 11 Reagents, 1 Proscribed Creature
+5 To Difficulty, Difficulty 20, Catalyst + 16 Reagents, 2 Proscribed Creatures
+10 To Difficulty, Difficulty 25, Catalyst + 21 Reagents, 3 Proscribed Creatures
+15 To Difficulty, Difficulty 30, Catalyst + 26 Reagents, 4 Proscribed Creatures
+20 To Difficulty, Difficulty 35, Catalyst + 31 Reagents, 5 Proscribed Creatures

An obelisk will form at the center of the Proscribe Circle. The Obelisk is unmovable and radiates the Proscribe effect. The obelisk is the target if this ritual is to be destroyed. The Proscribed creature type may not physically enter the Proscribe Circle but may enter through other means (spirit walk, rifting, etc). If a member of the Proscribed race is within the Proscribe Circle there is no other effect, but if it leaves the Proscribe Circle it may not reenter.

There is no upper limit to the size of a Proscribe.

OOG:
The ritual caster is responsible for supplying a phys-rep for the obelisk. The Proscribe Circle must be clearly marked and the effect posted, this is a visible effect though the targeted creature type is not revealed by seeing the circle.

Based on the scroll text, I would say it destroys the circle, regardless of whether or not it has resists.

I'd also point out that this ritual requires a catalyst (so at most you'd see this twice a year) in addition to the requirement that the body part be no more more than 24 hours old.

Upvote 0
Draven said:
Am I correct in my understanding that the circle is now destroyed?
Correct.
If the circle has resists, will that help? I realize this isn't Destroy Magic, but it's still a destroying effect.
No, because it is a distinct effect. much like Cloak Summoned Force won't let you resist an Explosive trap (despite having a "Destroying" result).

Just seems like a remarkably easy way to just wipe a circle if you really have a mind to.
Enh, I don't see that easier or harder than throwing down a circle around the circle and Destroying it, or Spirit Walking in and doing the same.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back