Prospective Players

Hi, two prospective players that would like to check in on the process to get involved in the last game of the season. We are taking the time to read the rulebook and it looks like there's going to be at least one merchant among us eventually. Looking at playing NPCs at least for the first day of an event.

What are the fire rules on site? Is portable cooking fire allowed specifically.
Is there a central resource for the Chicago site rules? Not certain if the website is updated, as it did not have this year's schedule on it.

Other than that, what preparation would you recommend we prepare/bring? What is the site for November like?

Hello and welcome,
If you are NPCing normal the $10 covers the food for Satureday meals and snack for friday and Satureday.

Jon. D

Had seen the prices. Wondering if we shouldn't just dive head first with characters, since this is the last game of the season anyway since first game fee is waived (not including the meal cost).

Still need answers, or a point in the direction so I can seek them out:

What are the fire rules on site? Is portable cooking fire allowed specifically.

Is there a central resource for the Chicago site rules? Not certain if the website is updated, as it did not have this year's schedule on it.

Other than that, what preparation would you recommend we prepare/bring? What is the site for November like? The site fee is known, but the implication is staying overnight, is this a camp site? I saw on the website mention of cabins? Is this still accurate? Should we be prepared to travel home/find a hotel?

I'll wait for actual staff people to answer some of your questions, but we just had an event this weekend so they'll probably need a little time to wrap up logistical stuff and recover.

Breakfast, lunch, and dinner on Saturday are all provided with the meal fee. There is at least one fire pit on site (probably more, but one I can think of right away) and as far as I know, campfires are allowed as long as they're well-tended. I don't see why there would be any issue with the cooking fire, but I don't really have the authority to speak on that.

Camp Pokanoka is a camp site with a handful of buildings that we have access to. The event runs from Friday night through Sunday morning, so unless you can't make the whole event (which is fine, if that's the case) almost everybody sleeps on-site. There is enough sleeping space for everyone, so you won't need to find a hotel or anything, but it can get slightly cramped. The main tavern building has camp mattresses (the type you see at most boy scout/girl scout camps, if you're familiar with those) on the floor. There are also small primitive cabins with bunk beds, but they're not really insulated at all so you'll want to plan ahead on warmth if you intend to stay out there - it's not gonna be much warmer than tent camping in the same conditions.

Whether you want to PC or NPC your first game is a personal decision. A lot of people advocate for NPCing the first game, as it gives you a chance to learn the combat system and other rules, but if it's your first time larping there really isn't a replacement for PCing right away and just stumbling head-first into the unknown. There are benefits to either direction. For me, it'd largely come down to whether or not you have costuming, weapons, props, etc ready for a character.

If you want to NPC, you should bring basic bedding (blanket & pillows), dark base layer clothes for a couple days (costuming and weapons will be provided), plenty of extra socks and maybe a back-up pair of boots (for sweaty feet and/or cold, wet weather conditions), maybe some snacks, and general cold weather clothes like gloves and a hat. Dress in layers. Most things are provided for NPCs.

If you want to PC, you'll want to bring all of the same things, but instead of just plain dark base clothes, you'll need character costuming (doesn't have to be amazing your first time out), any makeup or prosthetics you need if you want to play a non-Human race (though you can usually borrow from another PC if you don't have everything right away), whatever weapons and armor you want (again, you can probably borrow some your first time out), and either lots of pockets or a couple nice belt pouches to carry things with you. I'm not going to say you should dress in jeans and a winter coat, but safety and warmth should take priority over costuming at a winter event. Just avoid obvious anachronisms like blue jeans, white tennis shoes, or brand logos on your stuff. Feel free to wear warm layers under your costuming if the top layer isn't particularly warm on its own.

I will have my makeup kit at the next game (including a couple pairs of elf ears and a pair of horns if you let me know in advance) and I don't mind lending stuff out. If nobody else has weapons they can lend you, I might have what you're looking for, but I'll let the more local players volunteer those first.

Ok now that i am at a computer can expand more.

PC or NPC is really up to you. Some people like to NPC to get a feel for the game a little first. but you do get a free rewrite after your first event but I believe your starting equipment would not change. for very specific question emailing waysidelogistics@gmail.com for Character build question and site specific request. waysideibgas@gmail.com is for Plot and Character Background stuff. also request to the face book group but searching Alliance LARP Chicago or use this link https://www.facebook.com/groups/308199321138/

We bounce back and for between two site. The both have some fire rings. Rob D. (the own) will have to responded about if portable cooking fire allowed. However if is is a dietary reason for the request my group works the kitchen and try to do our best to accommodate food need. We normal have a few vegetarians and Gluten free people each event.

In General we have at least the main tavern space where meal, Logistic and PC can sleep. Depending on the site usage we normally have some primitive available too for PC to sleep. ( Some have electric but most do not and no heaters) and we will have one other building for Monster camp. Tenting is generally available also.

Other than that, what preparation would you recommend we prepare/bring? snacks and drinks an not a bad idea but the kitchen does have some stuff like fruit, granola bars and lemonade/Gatorade.
What is the site for November like? normally no snow but it is possible so dress warm and in layers. Rain is likely so having a change of cloth is a good idea.
The site fee is known, but the implication is staying overnight, is this a camp site? Alliance LARP Chicago take care of the site fees and parking is included.
I saw on the website mention of cabins? Is this still accurate? this primitive shelter but the tavern will be a real building.
Should we be prepared to travel home/find a hotel? no, more people stay on site as we go some time late into the night.

Hi there,

So I will try to answer these questions as best I can. But pretty much see above as my response is rather simaler and they both have been playing way longer then me.

There May be Primitive cabins available on site. ... With a little bit of covering of screens and appropreate sleeping gear they can be quite comfortable to sleep in. ... But there is also the Larger heated space building that we use as both the tavern and a comunial sleeping area. ... But we are usually told before an event which buildings and cabins we will have access to use.
As for fire rules That I wouldn't know. someone else could answer that but typically I have seen that we have a set location where there is a fire pit for that to be available and the fire must be watched at all times by at least one person, while it is still lit. Things to bring can vary a bit depending on if you wish to PC(play your characters) Or NPC(Help out by playing the monsters). Defiently bring apropriate clothing(This inculdes boots, prefearbly black or something that is more fitting for a fantsy setting) for the weekend, ie costuming and all nessary underthings to last you including weather apropiate gear, Acceptiable weapon and armour reps that fit the requirements for alliance if you have it for PCing. ... NPCing bring dark clothes, typically black, and all needed underthings and no need to bring any other things as you will get reps and costuming for the creatures you play each time you go out to npc a mod or character. .. The schedule is posted here on the alliance forum. The current Season schedule is always the top post in the chicago out of game list. Site fee is Part of the attendance fee included to the PC cost when you pay for the event(WHich as your first one is just food costs for saturday). It does greatly help with the imersion into the game to stay on sight, as well as the fact we typically stay up rather late(often until 1 or 2 am) doing things so you could miss out on stuff if you left to sleep else where as well as the extra cost to you. When the events come closer a Prereg is put up for the specific event with all of the pricing and sleeping arangements typically given there.

End all is have common sense, prep for the weather that is to be expected, And bring what you can to costume for the event that fits in approriatly for our world, Ie renisance and medival era attire or as close as you can get. Another tip Is take some time to read over the rule book and race packets before hand. That way you won't be completely clueless and have a little bit of an understanding of what things do,which can be reenforced as you see things in game and ask what they do to those who are more experianced. .. You will have the option at the first event pcing to change you character if you prefer to play somthing else the next time you pc. There are plently of folk who can help you build a character and get you an idea you just need to reach out.

I wish you the best of luck and can't wait to meet you in person.

Melaina Ferguson

Link to current rulebook: http://alliancelarp.com/alliancerulebook.pdf

Thank you so much, that answers everything I needed! Look forward to meeting you all in person.

If the cooking fire does turn out alright we will be running an in-game food stand (hence maybe two merchants, maybe one merchant and a utility mage, maybe a merchant and a hunter-gatherer, we're still feeling it out). We will be bringing in some treats to share, no charge OOC. We will (leadership allowing) have a contribution jar if people care to toss in some coin; it will all go into bringing better treats in the future but would not be by any means an obligation. We are both cooking enthusiasts and love the idea of bringing our knowledge out of the comfort zone with all of our kitchen gadgets and into a challenging environment.

Let us know any food allergies and we will plan to have at least something everyone can enjoy!

Costuming may be a bit sparse for us coming in, but we will do what we can on that end via goodwill and some sewing skill. We have done LARPing in a parlor setting before but nothing fantasy based so it'll be some hunting to find suitable pieces that will also hold up to the weather. The dwarven merchant won't need weapons too badly (though she plans to wield a meat cleaver and a sauce pan shield when we can put together a decent representation based on plumbing supplies) and I am indecisive, so darned if I know what I need right now, but I'll figure it out in time.

We will continue reading the rules and come up with a proper decision and some backstory soon. I have the email to send that to from the last prospective player post unless that has changed.

Thanks everyone for answering the bulk of the questions. Portable fires are not allowed but any fire pit in our areas are welcome to be used. Each area has 1 or more fire pits.

Thank you. Open flame and vessels that can fit in a fire pit it is. Sounds like I can probably use a fire-containing vessel if it stays in the fire pit? I have a ceramic grill-like implement I'd like to use, but will not plan around having it in case this is too far out of our comfort zone.

Update, I am the chef, since crafting is the same cost for everyone, that frees up more for our dwarf to do and I'm really attached to the idea now. Barbarian cooking, coming up! I have determined that a mix of French and a sampling of global countrysides should do to keep things a nice mix of palatable and bizarre enough to challenge our boundaries. I am also determined to be the worst businessman ever, will be easy to talk him into giving at least a snack worth of food up for free if you can get around his partner.

Bonus points to plot crew if they tell me when a beast or other rarity is available for cooking. I can always theme my wares to meet up with plot! Will mention this when I toss backstory up.

Good will is a great place to pull together a costume that is a tad less expensive. ... It's where I started at and even my current most used shirt is a modified XXXL mens long-sleeve grey shirt that some modifcations were made to make it look like it belongs. See you in under 2 weeks, hopefully.

Goodwill is a life-saver. Already raided it, decided I'm going to make chest armor out of braided leather belts (noone wants those otherwise and they look pretty cool if you arrange them in a gradient!). They have already supplied our cooking station save a few key pieces. Think I'll be making an OOC thread regarding the cooking stall since we'd like to engage players as much as possible.

Oh one last consideration: do we need to bring fuel? Is there wood on site? Is gathering of fallen wood allowed?

A prereg list will go up later today and you can keep watch on that for a headcount.

The fire wood on site is always plentiful and of good quality. The Rangers take good care of us on that.

As for costumes, we have a barbarian and a dwarf. Think we'll be able to manage a fake goatee and some furs.

Also may bring materials to build weapons, but probably won't have them assembled beforehand, focusing on the stall. Maybe someone can give us some pointers on those and save us some grief while we're there.
Looks like we're going thematic and wielding cooking utensils, should be fun to make a giant foam meat cleaver! I wonder how to do the rolling pin...

As long as it's a prosthetic. The only time you need to be able to braid your beard is if you actually have a substantial beard and you don't want to wear a prosthetic. This is to tell the difference between a bearded human and a dwarf.

You should be totally fine with a fake goatee. That being said I still recommend adornment because style counts yo!

I'd like to thank everyone responding to our new friends! Seeing as you guys as in good hands, I will only add a little.

Feel free to contact me via email (in my signature) or Facebook (names Eldandiril Zanabanath) for any customer service or logistical questions. We can work on building your characters in advance so we have a card ready for your first go.

Look forward to chatting!

Vicki Hills
Head of Logistics

Also, check out the local race packets if you want to find out a little more about the existing cultures for Dwarves and Barbarians.

Back