Question about Alliance Player Culture re: the need for Craftsman

Egilsson

Question about the Alliance player culture:

If I see my character as a scout, ranger, and tracker - do I need to take Craftsman Tracker, or Craftsman Ranger skills, even if I don't really need the coin, and my character concept is that he is not using those skills between games to earn coin?

Is it frowned upon to not take the Craftsman to represent a known profession?
Or is it purely at player discretion?

In-game I plan to act the role of a ranger - scouting the lands for dangers, then reporting back to guilds and adventuring groups what I've found, and leading them to the sites of potential danger and adventure. Between games my character is camping and exploring, practicing his weapon skills, foraging off the land, and not earning coin (he's a Barbarian warrior).

So from a strictly roleplaying stance, it makes sense to take some ranks in Craftsman-Ranger; but from a practical stance, I'd rather take powers that can do more benefit for me in-game.

Thanks for your thoughts on this!
:)

Play your role in-game, not your character sheet. The craftsman can help in-between game actions (IBGAs) or mods where your craftsman skills could get you additional information for an edge. Other than that, not really needed.

Usually if you have a "useful" craftsman skill, it comes in handy in fairly specific situations. One of the more broadly useful is Craftsman: Tracker. You want to track the bad guy back to his lair? Or follow the trail of a kidnapper? You can only do this if you either have Tracker or have a guide who knows the way. I've seen other craftsman abilities come in handy in really odd situations- Lawyer, Merchant, and Blackmarketeer were my favorites. :)

It should be noted that Craftsman use outside of the coin are extremely chapter specific. Tracker is a common one that will get you lots of use in many chapters, other chapters actively try to discourage any one particular CO from becoming a bonus skill and might have different requirements on tracking things.

Usually if you have a "useful" craftsman skill, it comes in handy in fairly specific situations. One of the more broadly useful is Craftsman: Tracker. You want to track the bad guy back to his lair? Or follow the trail of a kidnapper? You can only do this if you either have Tracker or have a guide who knows the way. I've seen other craftsman abilities come in handy in really odd situations- Lawyer, Merchant, and Blackmarketeer were my favorites. :)
I did love having Craftsman (Tracking) as Cael. That came in handy so many times.

I like craftsman from the standpoint of giving me more flavor to my character. I think all but 1 of my characters has a craftsman due to character history or due to skill sets he developed over years in adventuring.

^^ exactly, same here. Craftsman: Sailor and Craftsman: Crochet. And I might add Craftsman: Dancer as well ^_^

Mileage may vary based on the chapter you are playing in. In the NW we have given out additional information and mod hooks based on craftsman skills.

Mileage may vary based on the chapter you are playing in. In the NW we have given out additional information and mod hooks based on craftsman skills.
This is absolutely true, and I have a story:

My old character had two levels of Craftman (Brewing). We ended up hooked on a mod where there were some people from a rival town burning down a building. The plot person with us described a smell but none of us could place it until I told them what my CO skill was. He turned to me and said, "oh. Well then. It's moonshine. And from the smell of it, there's a ton of it."

I told everyone to stand back because there wasn't any way we could save the building by that point. The building went up the rest of the way, exploded for 20 Flame damage to everyone within a 30' radius (of which no one was in because I told them to stand back). Quick way to save a bunch of people from having to repair their armor or use any healing.

Back