Question about the Usefulness of Resist Fear

Egilsson

I'm new to Alliance and playing a Barbarian. I've learned one Resist Fear for roleplay and character definition. But aside from the IG sense of self as a fearless warrior, how useful is the Resist Fear power? How often are fear effects used? I assume they are only used by monsters?
thanks all!
:)

Yay Barbarian! Welcome to the tribe!

Fear is used a lot, but it depends on your chapter and local plot team. Yes, Fear is a monster ability.

I have always felt that Fear is the fighters bane. Its such a pain to be in the front line hacking away and bam, hit with that fear and you have to go running. Resist fear for a front line fighter is a good thing to have. You may not use it at every event but when you do you will be glad you had them.

Definitely chapter specific: have not seen used in many years...

Remember that some NPC's won't throw a fear at a Barbarian just like they won't throw a command at an Elf. When I npc I throw it at who ever is bothering me and the pc feels cool when they use there resist.

An NPC playing an intelligent creature is perfectly justified in taking resists into account when throwing effects at people, but if a mindless fear-beast (or whatever) specifically avoids attacking barbarians and orcs, they're playing that monster wrong.

It probably is a regional thing, but I can confirm you'd get some use out of your resists at SoMN and Chicago. It may not come up every event, but it comes up frequently enough that it's worth the build.

Definitely chapter specific: have not seen used in many years...
I have been playing for a little over a year and a half now and I have seen Fear used exactly once. It was used entirely for RP and was even out-of-combat. In other words, it seems to be very chapter-specific as to whether or not Resist Fear is going to be beneficial.

I've seen Fear used at a lot in Denver, to answer your question more specific to the region your playing in, of course that's based on the weekend. I've seen weekends with a lot of creatures that throw Fear, and weekends with none.

Resist Fear is the only racial that lets you resist Terror...

Played a barbarian almost exclusively for years. Resist fears are priceless when you need them. For the cost I would recommend 1-3 depending on what you feel like. They are cheap, and great to have in a pinch.

If you use a shield or are just quick on the feet you can also get in the way of packets that are heading for a friend and feel like a rockstar when you resist it. :)

Back