Question about wylderkin costume

Axle

I'm planning on being a hawk-kin or bird of prey as my first character.

You can see my initial look I'm putting together in the photo. (sorry about the messy bathroom)

A couple questions:

Do I have to have my fingers painted or covered by gloves or does this look ok?

Also, I have a black cloth mask underneath the hawk mask. If I were to pull that down would I need face paint or would I be ok with just the hawk mask covering the upper half of my face for kind of a batman type look?

Attachments

• Hawk-Kin.jpg
    Hawk-Kin.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 84
I think it's looks fantastic, especially as a new character.
Your mileage will vary chapter to chapter.
Where I play, having exposed fingers or lower half of your face would be fine.
Their is no defined requirement of square footage of skin that needs to be covered or painted. Kin costuming is a scale. The more you do the cooler it looks, but different people do different amounts/ have different abilities in makeup craft.
I would recommend you post this picture on the OOG chapter boards where you plan to play and get a ruling from the local plot/marshals/owners. Which chapter are you looking to play in? I can point you in the right direction.

While you are on those boards, ask about playing a Bird-kin. That might be too close to a Biata.

Looks sweet though,

-Joe

Last edited:
Bird kin aren't too close to Biata... it even says so in the book.

At most, the only part of my hands I make-up as a sarr are the very backs. If you look at most animals, the business and of "hands" tend to still be pretty utilitarian... and just about no one will blame you for not wanting to eat make-up. When I played a biata, I did wear a claw glove... but I would take an opera glove, cut the thumb entirely off, and crop all the fingers to the first knuckle. If not having your hands covered bothers you, you could try that.

People might mistake you for a raven instead of a hawk, though... :p

I think it's looks fantastic, especially as a new character.
Your mileage will vary chapter to chapter.
Where I play, having exposed fingers or lower half of your face would be fine.
Their is no defined requirement of square footage of skin that needs to be covered or painted. Kin costuming is a scale. The more you do the cooler it looks, but different people do different amounts/ have different abilities in makeup craft.
I would recommend you post this picture on the OOG chapter boards where you plan to play and get a ruling from the local plot/marshals/owners. Which chapter are you looking to play in? I can point you in the right direction.

While you are on those boards, ask about playing a Bird-kin. That might be too close to a Biata.

Looks sweet though,

-Joe
Hi Joe, thanks for the advice. I'm looking to play in the San Francisco chapter. My friend went to the last gathering they had and had a great time.

Bird kin aren't too close to Biata... it even says so in the book.

At most, the only part of my hands I make-up as a sarr are the very backs. If you look at most animals, the business and of "hands" tend to still be pretty utilitarian... and just about no one will blame you for not wanting to eat make-up. When I played a biata, I did wear a claw glove... but I would take an opera glove, cut the thumb entirely off, and crop all the fingers to the first knuckle. If not having your hands covered bothers you, you could try that.

People might mistake you for a raven instead of a hawk, though... :p
Hi Inaryn,

I'm trying to avoid makeup as much as possible. Too messy for me :D
It sounds like i should be ok for the hands. You seem like you're from the San Francisco chapter. Do you think it would be ok if the lower part of my face is uncovered?
The ninja mask can get kinda hot.

Haha, I think the mask is pretty raven like. I was thinking about painting the upper part of the beak yellow. Though it would be funny to have people think he was a raven and have it really.... ruffle his feathers. :p

Given the sf temps and campsites, in general, what you've got in that photo are pretty standard for mask use. I prefer make up myself, since I over heat easily. Water based make up seems to stay on pretty well without a lot of mess.

That costume looks pretty solid!

Given the sf temps and campsites, in general, what you've got in that photo are pretty standard for mask use. I prefer make up myself, since I over heat easily. Water based make up seems to stay on pretty well without a lot of mess.

That costume looks pretty solid!
Thank you! :D

Back