Race Upgrades

Jorundr

Artisan
Has it been kicked around before.. the idea of paying Build Points to play a race that might have better stats?

so here's how it would work

you pick your starting race
you buy a "Skill" or whatever you can to call it so the d-base can recognize BP expenditure
you then have access to that race and its ads/disads.

Example:

Player B chooses Elf as his core race
under elf he would have access to XYZ different races that stem from the elf core.

Player B in this case chooses quickling as his upgrade race..he would then spend XYZ build points to access the quickling package.

under quickling it says he has to wear blue and white make up with yellow lighting bolts or streaks on his face as well as elf ears and maybe silver in his hair.

disads: all binding spells regardless of level do 10pts of dmg straight to body (as chaos)
*maybe double dmg from silver
ads: dodge (able to be purchased 2 times)
resist battle magic (able to be purchased 2 times)

===

The player would be subject to effects that target fey and elf.. so race reavers, pantherghasts etc.

I think it's a very cool idea role playing-wise:

"My son, Erestel Forlanderthil (we call him Ernie), went out adventuring about decade ago and when he came back, he had all sorts of lightning markings on his face and strange colors in his hair. I asked him what they were and he turned to me and said "I'm a Quikling now, mum." Now all he can do is saunter about, showing off his new fey rubbish. I knew I should have never let him hang around that crowd. Kids these days, honestly!"
- Elven mother

Seriously, I think it would be an interesting way to mix it up a bit for players with very high level characters who have been playing for a long time. I don't think it would ever actually be feasible, simply because of the enormous shift it would cause in the game world. Throwing twenty new PC races into the game all of the sudden would be a recipe for chaos. I love the idea of high level PCs becoming "racial elders" (something like what is suggested here), but instances of it would have to be few and far between to maintain "cool factor" and game balance.

thats easy... do a evolution chart as a means of progression.

what I mean is you need to have X build and/or X skills to qualify for the next step.. the next step is your able to buy other skills.. when you buy enough of these "other" skills you can make another leap forward buy purchasing some other "other skills" until you have enough to be a racial elder of some sort.

Then you buy the skill "Crotchity Old Timer" and you become an elder, and get discounts at the local taverns :p I like it HAHA

Similar things have already happened IG. You work your butt off role-playing and doing all sorts of kewl, IG stuff for years and you rise to the point of becoming an NPC. Dragon Mages are an example of this, albeit not as a race, but the analogy is accurate. As an NPC they can give you whatever skills they want and have you look however they want. Why limit yourself. Set a goal for something you want your character to become then work with your plot team to achieve it. One of my characters fancies the Fae so much that it's crossed his mind that he might be able to become one! Anything can happen!

(*QUORK* LOL)

this is where the separation and OOG mechanics need to come into play.

you become a dragon mage you lose your sheet..there can be some justification done IG about not wanting to ever become one.. like

all the dragon mages I know must be insanely busy.. they are never around and always seem to be tied up in the biggest things going on.. why would I want to devote my life to that.

I mean there can be similar rationale but that wouldnt be meta-gaming to badly. what I was purposing is a way to advance your character on some level without becoming an NPC. as it stands there isnt room much for advancement after a certain level of experience ... skill wise

the way to change your character gets kinda limited... as a templar you buy a bigger tree.. some slays and PTD skills and then perhaps some profs and formal levels.. once you've hit level 25-30 bracket the skill purchases get stagnant unless you go the production skill or OCS route.. which admittedly isnt bad just leaves ya with 2 options... I mean other then a second tree.

ok im a newbie/doughnut but ill chime in

As long as its balanced I think its a cool idea
if the powers/skills they get are worth the BP no more no less then thats great
balance is always the hard part

Jorundr said:
as it stands there isnt room much for advancement after a certain level of experience ... skill wise

the way to change your character gets kinda limited...

What happens when you level past those skills? Do we add more skills on top of that? MMOs do it when the playerbase get high enough that such a change would benefit everyone. There just aren't enough people at max level to warrant a new set of skills. Besides, Alliance likes to keep the rules simple so the emphasis is on roleplay.

You can always RP going senile and thinking you have awesomely cool dragon magic...like:

"Fear my draconic magics! Stone Bolt!...of dragony fierceness!"

What happens when you level past those skills?

Nah, Alliance and other larps do something that I think shouldnt.. they dont stagger the cost of skills. so if a skill cost 4bp to buy the first time it would increase for the next purchase to 6 then to 8 then to 10 etc.

there tentatively should be 2 ways to purchase skills.. capped skills which you can buy at the same cost over and over up to the cap and progressive skills.. which you can infinitely at a rate that increases each purchase so the 2 4 6 8 10 etc.
*One time purchase skills dont count as they are 1 time purchases*

Its what happens with Spell Slots.. why doesnt it happen with profs?..

All capped skills depending on what they are would have a different cap

Racials you could say cap at 10 of each type (example)
Production Point Skills would be progressive skills
Profs and Backstabs would be Progressive skills
Spell Slots would be progressive Skills (as they are now already)
Formal Magic Levels would be capped at say 50
PTD Skills should be progressive
OCS Skills would be capped (for each type not total) at say 20

its just a way to put a much larger build curve into the game which would artificially lower the overall damage totals in the game and help decrease monster levels.

Jorundr said:
What happens when you level past those skills?

Nah, Alliance and other larps do something that I think shouldnt.. they dont stagger the cost of skills. so if a skill cost 4bp to buy the first time it would increase for the next purchase to 6 then to 8 then to 10 etc.

there tentatively should be 2 ways to purchase skills.. capped skills which you can buy at the same cost over and over up to the cap and progressive skills.. which you can infinitely at a rate that increases each purchase so the 2 4 6 8 10 etc.
*One time purchase skills dont count as they are 1 time purchases*

Its what happens with Spell Slots.. why doesnt it happen with profs?..

All capped skills depending on what they are would have a different cap

Racials you could say cap at 10 of each type (example)
Production Point Skills would be progressive skills
Profs and Backstabs would be Progressive skills
Spell Slots would be progressive Skills (as they are now already)
Formal Magic Levels would be capped at say 50
PTD Skills should be progressive
OCS Skills would be capped (for each type not total) at say 20

its just a way to put a much larger build curve into the game which would artificially lower the overall damage totals in the game and help decrease monster levels.

Alliance does not stagger Build costs because it instead staggers build earned, so the effect is similar. If you use both build points earned and build points spent to slow the power curve, you would be penalizing higher characters at an exponentially growing rate. Eventually, character advancement via build and skills would all but cease.

Also, it's a little faulty to think of spells as progressive. If you think of a single column of spells instead, it's always the same build expenditure. Obviously it's a little slow at first due to having to pyramid up, but after the 4-column, every 25 build becomes another column 1-9, assuming you're just buying spells.

Back