Re : Metagaming

Wraith

AllianceCHI said:
Using knowledge of NPC/Plot logistics to gain unfair advantage, eg.: using a specific fighting style against an NPC because you've fought them before and know their weaknesses; leveraging the lack of NPCs on a mod or roaming around to one's advantage; "binding" up an NPC so they can't repop; etc."

Bit of a question on this one, Paul. Bindomancy is a standard and effective tactic for dealing with -anything-, and really frustrating as a player when NPCs simply 'die out' of it as it makes the player feel their in-game skill (spell or gas globe) has been wasted. Especially for Earth casters, who have no other offensive spells that will not land them in hot water IG. Many using these abilities put quite a lot of thought into just how, when, and where to bind an enemy so as to use them as an obstacle to other combatants. This being the case, is your intent here to say that using binding spells tactically is against the spirit of the rules?

I can't speak directly for the man, but I have a feeling what he's talking about is keeping NPC's "bound" for the duration of the encounter with no good reason other than to keep them from respawning. It's one thing to Confine a gnoll because you wanna question him after the fight is over, it's another thing to do it and then just leave him in it so that he can't respawn and make the fight easier. Same thing can be done with multiple Waylays, keeping a key NPC completely out of the game for hours on end. I've actually been guilty of "reverse metagaming" from time to time, that being intentinoally killing or releasing a monster so that they could go back and respawn when I know monster camp is particularly low on NPCs. Usually it's something like going to the NPC and saying "Hey, if you will trust in the fact that Joe the Cook in the tavern can keep you knocked out until later this afternoon when I'll wanna question you, can I trust to let you go until monster camp doesn't need you for a half hour so we can go in the back room and actually do that questioning?" and it usually works out best for everyone at that point, even though it probably would have been easier to keep him physically there for 45 minutes and then questioned him at MY convenience instead.

Now, if you have monsters that are, for example, taking a Sleep gas effect and then dissipating, I'd say that is kinda lame and an issue to be looked at. When we've ever run into that type of situation, we'll usually ask that the "sleeping" monster be dragged to the back of the fight and piled up, and someone keeps count of how many you have back there, and then the NPC can go back and respawn as a new monster, but you still have the one you slept to do with as you please, but it's tricky.

Jeff,

Spot On!

Keith,

No it is not my intent. I am a pretty reasonable person when it comes to these sorts of things.

I agree with your assertion that a PC often has little recourse but to use Mystic Force spells to control the battlefield or to have an NPC confined so as to block a door. I dont think anyone would ever assert that its against the rules, in fact, I encourage it as good tactics. On the other hand, the extreme can construe metagaming. If a player uses these spells "because if they cant repop the fight is easier" it is metagaming. I think any player will be able to work with the NPCs to find a just middle that allows the spell to have full effect while allowing the NPCs to go on about their work.

Also consider where this is coming from, where we have been dangerously low on NPC's in chicago for a long while now. Taking one NPC, not the monster, out of the fight can just plain ruin the fun, because at times that means that there MIGHT be 2 others, sometimes 1. Thankfully we should have a few more people dedicated to NPCing this year, which should make things alot easier. Always welcome more though.

Thomas

Good deal. I may be the most cynical thing on two legs, but I do trust you guys to always be trying to make sure everyone is having as much fun as possible. :D Thanks for the reassurance!

Back