Re: photo permissions

Signing a waiver to play specifically states that images taken become Alliance property and can be used based on the signature on the form.

But yes, it is weird.

Good thing I scratched that part out (and initialed) when I signed.

Considering I paint myself up like a jaguar, wear a mane and tail, and run around a park yelling strange phrases such as 'nausea gas poison' and 'I call forth a flame bolt'... No. At least I know that my pictures being used in the rule book are going to be used positively.

Now, documentaries... That's something I'll never agree to again...

Now, documentaries... That's something I'll never agree to again...

We had someone from the Discovery Channel contact us at OR about doing one on us our our players, but given past experiences and the super short notice before our May 2015 event (like, 2 weeks or something), we said no. And even then, if even one player had said "no", I'd have said 'no'. Just not worth it.

As some one who has been in and behind the scenes of TV/Movies its easier now to ask people that don't want to be shown to sign a release form (or non-release as this case would be) as that is usually the smaller number and less forms to print.

I think asking who wants out instead of asking who wants in is weirder now than I would have thought a couple years ago. Since then I have started doing research with human subjects. In many countries, including America, researchers are expected to get informed consent before collecting data from people in their studies, even though the published studies hide identifying information.

Getting informed consent from the players at a larp doesn't seem like too difficult a task. Unless a player is under 18, then getting informed consent becomes difficult.

Still, if an organization plans to use someone's picture in a publication, I think the right thing to do is to make sure the person knows what's going on and is cool with their image being used.

Apparently Seattle has a different rule - you have to have consent before filming/photographing people?

To be really clear - I have no objection to having photos of me used for the rulebook or website. I'm all for it. But I'm also aware of a number of people who are professional models (to whatever degree of success that may be) who play that might object to having their images used in a professional publication/display. As we've often mentioned, the people who populate these forums tend to be the minority of players - posting a thing here probably doesn't really provide a good degree of coverage on ensuring players are properly informed.

I hadn't really even thought of the minors factor. How are we ensuring parents know that they need to opt out their <18 kids that play?

Again, I'm by no means ripping on anyone or calling for regime change or anything silly like that. This just struck me as weird.

My assumption is (and I'm not actually involved in the process or anything) that the opt-out system is being used here because they're looking for permission to use photos that have already been taken. If you're asking for permission to take/use photos *before* an event, it would be fairly simple to obtain prior permission from everyone during logistics while signing waivers. However, if you've got a big pile of pictures that were taken who knows where, it's going to be a huge pain to identify all the players in an out of makeup and seek them out individually. Whereas if someone objects after the fact you can look through the photos and just remove a few that show that person.

Again, I'm just speculating...

Does it strike anyone else as weird that you have to opt out of having your photo used in the rulebook, rather than explicitly grant permission?

It's just a hell of a lot easier to identify the one or two who don't want their pictures taken than it is to go through hundreds of waivers to make sure everyone is OK with it.

Back