Refugees and Farms

Druk

Rogue
For those wishing to aid and organize the refugee efforts (especially regarding aiding the farmers) between now and the December gather, let us coordinate our efforts over the next few days to maximize our efficiency. I would like to have a solid plan within a week, contact me by Friday if you would like to help. I know Dab is interested in aiding the farmers, if someone could point him in my direction, I would appreciate it.

I will aid in the identification and registration of individuals and families.

Earthen Apprentice Vellis Valeriana Tsalarioth

Dab will be sent your way... I'd rather him aid you than pester me.

I would be more than willing to help organize and teach any refugees. We will need to setup shelters, build latrines, warehouses and start getting them supplies including food, water and clothing. We will need to find anyone with skillsets that we can use and put them to work. We will need to also take people with skillsets and a propensity to teach to start teaching others their trade.

I will gladly teach swordsmanship, archery, hunting, tracking, snaring, tactics or any other subject that I know the slightest about.

I suggest that we start by scouting out a suitable location. We will need it near farmable land and near a fresh source of water. Hopefully, we can also find a location that is defensible.

-Durnic

You should also seek scrolls of Wizard Lock and items that can Ward, to provide effective shelter from the Savage Legion. It is far easier for less skilled people to learn how to use such, then to actually teach how to memorize magic of that power.

Dab owns farmland nearby and has offered to house and feed these refugees in exchange for aiding in upkeep as is necessary. They would work the land and build shelter in order to provide their own food and housing. He seems amenable to transferring ownership of his farm to them, in part or whole after they have established a routine to keep this farmland sustainable and productive for their mutual benefit...

There was a Keep at the last gather that we cleared of Savage Legion not too far out of town - perhaps we could verify that is still clear and set up an outpost there. It has good defenses.

I spoke with the herald about farmland. The land they used to use as farmlands in the old ceriopolis should have shorter trees that are more easily plowed and cut. That land was used to harvest food for the entire city. Once we get enough crops growing for the city we can trade extra goods to other nations. Some of us have farm experience working on daybreak in the valley. Some of the Celestial casters would also commit 1 Ward a day to a building for the safety of civilians. Perhaps we can begin doing this again until we can open a school and teach folks magic.

I also like the idea of building outposts. Or perhaps watchtowers as well. Early warning systems with fires to light, or signal with smoke.

Like my brother said, I've already begun setting up a farm. With a little modification, the cabin that's half-built can be made to support more families than just the Cooper clan. I've had the chance to speak to a few refugees and I've informed the Magistrate to send any able-bodied that don't want to be a part of the militia to me. The soil is loamy and the ancient farmland is still only kinda arable. But with my skills I doubt it'll be a problem.

I've rubbed elbows and procured a good amount of farm seed and stock and even visited the ol' Golden Emperium for the beginnings of an orchard. Derriworth Sour Apples are just a start. Problem with that is that it'll take a while to come to fruition and so long as the orchard isn't placed over what used to be a graveyard, the apples will taste like a crisp autumn morning once the first yield comes in.

Now don't you people worry about farming, I'll handle all of that. So long as I can keep taking in the refugees that used to be farmers or farriers or simple blacksmiths and their families and ilk, food will never be a problem and neither will lodging.

Be sure to spread the word that Dab Flynt will ensure housing, clothing and food as well as wages for coming to him for employment. Families will be afforded their own residences and land based on the size of the family unit.

This is my destiny.

There was a Keep at the last gather that we cleared of Savage Legion not too far out of town - perhaps we could verify that is still clear and set up an outpost there. It has good defenses.

Kasuni I believe I know to where you are referring. The entire structure was destroyed utterly. It was not fit for any measure of habitation.

However I have scouted the surrounding area and will information to help guide you to areas which may provide for an excellent source of stone, lumber and water. It merely needs to be attended to by a force that has the expertise and means of utilizing this resource.

-Squire Shin

Farming is all well and good, but we do ned defenses. Having farmlands open to the Savage Legion and wild animals will not last long. Perhaps we could use some of the larger tree land area for farms, once we clear the trees out for basic defensible walls. As Dab, the only experienced farmer I know of here, has said, the food will take time to come to fruition. Unless someone had a bountiful harvest on hand.

Farming is not a short term solution, in the mean time, those with experience in hunting/trapping/fishing and foraging should train refugees and lead parties out to find food to hold us out over the winter.
~Bhaskara

I can teach how to hunt with a bow and track wild game. With a little expertise and patience, setting snare traps is simple. If people are willing, I will also teach how to read and write since it is such a valuable skill to have in these times.

Many of you have great ideas and amazing initiative in helping and teaching these refugees and I personally thank you. However I ask that we remained organized and informed so we can better work together in building our society.

As the house of Light and Lies currently has no Dominus I will try to act as one should and I thank you all ahead of time for your participation. For those of you who do not know our house is one focused on order and structure. I do not pretend to think we can do so without your help nor would I want to. My aim currently is to acquire information so that it might be spread to the houses or people that need it. What I am hoping for is that any refugees be at some point sent to one of the members of my house so that we might find out basic information about them such as what they are hoping to find here, whom they might be looking for or missing, what skills they are interested in or already know so they may be of help in the right areas. I not only ask this of them but of all of you already here.

I want to make this part clear. If anyone is uncomfortable with giving out information about themselves they are in no way required to or judged for not. All I am hoping to do is keep us as organized and structured as possible so that we can all work that much harder, be that much more supported, and flourish together.

Next gather I will be not only donating more funds to this cause but asking others around to as well. My plan with this is to either turn it over to the magistrate or deal with the houses/people myself to find out what they want or plan to do and how much they need to accomplish it.

Again I absolutely love what all of you are doing and I hope that you will help me help you. If anyone would like to discuss any of these matters with me or even just meet me as a person I highly encourage it and hope that you do. Thank you to whomever reads this for your time.

- Equitem Vanyal Anarion

Last edited:
I am willing to acquire a Bountiful Harvest that I will use, in order to provide for these refugees. I will even Empower it this December, and though the magic will only be useful for five days, perhaps that five days will help in some way.

Dab, how far from the Ceriopolis is this farm? If it's only an hour or so away, I'd be willing to aid in this way.

It's close enough. And I'd wait until after this next gather, at the soonest. It'll take a while to settle parcels of land, tilling of soil, planting of seed and the like.

Flynt, Trunk help? Good with animals, know how talk them, raise them, teach them, keep them live to harvest. Used to work animals long time, and like work. No have gold for them, new to town, only have Trunk for them. Will give Trunk because nice people hurt by bad people, and Trunk no like when nice people hurt.

All help is welcome, my green chum. I might have a thing or two to learn from you, in fact. We'll talk more soon.

I would like to start a ledger of the refugees as outlined by Sir Krieger at the last gathering. Names, Family / Friends missing, Home and situation of their displacement, along with Trades or Skills.

I can teach basic medicine in first aid along with veterinarian, potions, alchemy, mountain survival.

Wonder if other Orcs help? I know only Bones. Seem like ok guy, would like get know more of him. Maybe get know others too :)

Last edited:
Back