Reminder about the Sacrifice Ritual

Just a friendly reminder from your Head of Rules. The Sacrifice ritual can not be used in the case of unavoidable deaths, such as Obliterate, Shatter Spirit, or Refusal of Ritual Magic.

Hey Sean, are any rituals other than Oblit, Shatter Spirit, Disinvestiture and Banish to Other Plane unrefuseable?

I don't recall seeing "This ritual cannot be refused" on any others, but you're all smart about rules and stuff so I figured it was worth asking.

I thought that in order to use the sacrifice ritual, the spirit has to begin resurrection, and if they refuse that, then the ritual cannot be used.
though I could be wrong.

Sacrifice Ritual Scroll said:
The ritual caster must spend 5 minutes in the casting of this ritual. This ritual lasts until the single charge has been used. This is an Earth Aspect ritual.

This Ritual allows the bearer to Sacrifice their own Life to preserve the strength of Spirit of Another. A valid Target for the Sacrifice Ritual is a character which has Dissipated and is currently in a Greater Earth Circle of Power awaiting or undergoing Resurrection. The Spirit within the Circle must have been inside the Greater Earth Circle no more than 30 minutes for the Sacrifice to work- waiting longer than 30 minutes will cause an attempted Sacrifice to fail (No Effect). This Ritual in no way gives the Bearer the ability to determine how long a Spirit has been inside a Circle.

To Activate a Sacrifice Ritual the bearer must stand before the Greater Earth Circle (able to touch the Physical Representation) or be inside the Earth Circle containing the Target Spirit and state "I Sacrifice my Life to you". If more than one Spirit is present in the Circle the bearer must identify which Spirit is the Target of this Ritual Effect. Once activated the Spirit within the Circle immediately regains a physical body without the
occurrence of a Death on their Card (and does not need to Draw from a bag of Chance) and experiences the effects of a successful Resurrection. The Activator of the Sacrifice Ritual immediately Dissipates as if they had been the target of a Killing Blow and their Death Count had completed, dropping all gear and In Game Items as per the Death/Resurrection process and moves to the Circle to attempt Resurrection following all standard Rules for a Resurrection (including Drawing from the Bag of Chance and receiving the Death on their Card).

The Targeted Spirit of a Sacrifice may not refuse the Sacrifice Ritual unless the Resurrecting Spirit also has a Sacrifice Ritual on their Spirit. By expending this Sacrifice Ritual the Targeted Spirit may counteract the bearers Sacrifice Ritual (both are Expended). In such an event the original Spirit will be able to undergo Resurrection as normal or, if the 30 minute window has not expired, receive additional Sacrifice Rituals. The decision to counter-act a Sacrifice Ritual is an Out of Game Decision of the Target.

Sacrifice will not allow you to take the place of a Character which has died due to a Players decision to avoid a Ritual Effect or as a result of any Ritual effect which is defined as "Unavoidable" such as Obliteration.

OOG:
A target may have more than one Sacrifice ritual cast upon it, but it counts towards the twenty ritual maximum. The Activation of a Sacrifice, and its Refusal, may be woven in the Resurrection Story of the character(s) involved.

The only valid target of Sacrifice is the spirit of a person that has dissipated and not yet been resurrected. They may be in the process of resurrection, or awaiting that process. The spirit must be within an Earth-aligned Permanent Circle of Power at the time the Sacrifice is expended, and cannot have been there for more than 30 minutes. As Sean mentioned above, certain circumstances make a spirit ineligible to benefit from a Sacrifice; these are if the spirit's body dissipated as the result of a ritual effect or attempted ritual which bypassed being Dead (in the death count). This could be from refusing a ritual, or from receiving an Obliteration or Shatter Spirit effect. Although there is no ritual scroll for Shatter Spirit, it is considered to be a ritual effect for circumstances like these.

Lauren has linked the complete text of the scroll above, including the multiple instances of extraneous capitalization.

Sadly, that's how it's written in the database. It's like looking at an old handwritten official document...

Wonder why THIS reminder is being made... :watsup:

Back