Resolute vs Massive

Ken

Artisan
Can you Resolute against Massive damage?

Massive beats any kind of defense except the ones that cause you not to get hit in the first place (Evade, Dodge, Phase).

One of the defense types is "Reduced". While some "Reduced" type defenses are mentioned in the packet, Resolute isn't listed as a defense in the defense type table in the last packet (and the table isn't present in the ARB beta).

Is Resolute a defense? If so, it's not usable against Massive.

If it's not a defense, it still might not be intended to work against Massive, but I can't see anything else that would prevent it.

No, and there’s precedent for this.

It was ruled that you cannot use Resolute to negate Vengeance; the Resolute mechanics are treated as a negation that leave you at 1 Body, not a “reduction” mechanic, even though that’s the thematic idea.

As a result, Massive can only be negated by Dodge/Evade/Phase currently; I agree that there’s an argument for an owner vote to expand Resolute to this, but it wouldn’t currently have that capability.

Upvote 0
I agree as far as rules as written. It's a corner case that I'd bring to your owner to get a rules change, but as written, Resolute would not work against Massive.

Upvote 0
No, and there’s precedent for this.

It was ruled that you cannot use Resolute to negate Vengeance; the Resolute mechanics are treated as a negation that leave you at 1 Body, not a “reduction” mechanic, even though that’s the thematic idea.

As a result, Massive can only be negated by Dodge/Evade/Phase currently; I agree that there’s an argument for an owner vote to expand Resolute to this, but it wouldn’t currently have that capability.

Would you mind providing the link to that resolution? I remember it but I would like to read it as I'm still trying to figure out how I feel about this case.

Upvote 0
Resolute will not work on Vengeance. That's part of the "cannot be avoided in any way", which includes mitigation. Similarly, Threshold and Damage Reduction do not stop Vengeance.

Would you mind providing the link to that resolution? I remember it but I would like to read it as I'm still trying to figure out how I feel about this case.

The first quote was Bryan’s, regarding that Vengeance cannot be negated in any way. Massive is similar in that it cannot be negated except in specific ways.

Upvote 0
Back