Rewrites

Ok,

We've had the database updated. As a part of the update, character sheets, histories, etc, were moved over. However, skills weren't. So - if you have a character in the Chicago database - before you plan on using your character, please contact me, as you need to utilize the rewrite. Please email me with what character you're responding about, what class you want them to be, and I'll respond with the new skill cost breakdown, so you can write your card.

Contact me at waysidelogistics@gmail.com if you have questions.

Robert Sachs
General Manager
Database Monkey

Just a note, guys - the rewrites will not take effect immediately. They will take effect during the opener, once the plot team indicates the event causing the switch has occurred. So be prepared to use the old sheet and old rules for at least part of the first event.

You're going to use the out of game rules change as an ingame event?

Wraith said:
You're going to use the out of game rules change as an ingame event?

All I've been told is that there will be an in-game event to cause the changeover, to explain the fact that some things, like detect magic, don't exist anymore... or others suddenly have learned some skills and forgotten others...

Beyond that, I have to refer you to the plot team, because I've been purposefully kept in the dark on the specifics, so I can join in the fun too.

Eh, just curious, really, since the trend's been to try and stop talking about game mechanics as in-game fact. We'll see how it runs before I make any snap judgements, of course. :)

So we're being forced to do our re-writes now even though we're supposed to be allowed untile June to do so?

Oh I'm sure you can 'fight the effects' of the change for a few months if you spirit is determined to do so.

Togashin said:
So we're being forced to do our re-writes now even though we're supposed to be allowed untile June to do so?

My understanding of this is: the new rules will go into effect partway through the event. IE: all skills/spells from the current rules edition will work during the event UNTIL the switch occurs. At that time, you are still the same class with the same skills...but the ones that got dropped in the new rules edition no longer work. Celestial Casters will no longer be able to cast Detect Magic. Fighters will realize that they are hitting hard with both hands, not just the hand with the prof.

That doesn't mean (based on my understanding) that you have to do your re-write right then, or at all if you're still happy with the way your character is put together. It just means that the changes outlined in the new edition of the rules will take effect at that time.

Chicago Staff - does that sound about right?

Thanks Joy,

It is indeed correct, we are asking those people who know what they want to change to go ahead and set it up now to cut down on, surprisingly enough, Ryans extra workload during saturday reset.

If someone doesnt want to change their card then by no means will we force them to do so. If someone would like more time, no sense getting insensed by the change, please let us know and we will acomodate.

I could force a change in sheets to be immediate take it or leave it but though it would be friendlier to do so. Please dont make me a bad guy when I'm not being one.

Paul

No one thinks you're a bad guy, Paul. If they do, they're projecting their own inherent evil onto you ;).

When I read the initial post in the string though, it did sound as though people would not be able to come in as their PC characters until they had done the rewrite because their old skills had been wiped with the implementation of the new database. Probably not the intended message, but that was what I got out of the initial read.

My confusion is mostly around how we're going to be expected to deal with it in game. The spell changes are easy to handle, as magic is magic, and Just Works That Way. However, for the fighter types, how are we to explain suddenly not being able to wear the same armor rep we did yesterday to it's fullest, as it is now rated higher than our class allows? Or the damage changes? 'Duh, two hands hit harder! Maybe I'm safe to stop wearing a styrofoam helmet around the house! Yay brain!'

They work great as rules changes, but as things to explain in-game? Not so much. Better to just let everyone pretend that things have Always Been That Way for the sake of not having quite a lot of trying to explain things that don't make sense in-game as in-game concepts.

Just my two cents. If I sound upset, I'm not. I'm just confused as to why we would -want- to do things this way and hoping for an explanation. :)

When you are wearing a suit of armor, it's rating is indicating the MAXIMUM value you can tag it for. So, if you have an armor rep that is worth 30 currently, and it gets reevaluated to 37, but you can only wear 35 and you don't wish to buy levels of wear extra armor, you can use a 35 point armor tag for that 37pt rated suit. So, there's that one. As to the damage changes, well trust your plot team. If they don't dispel the illusion of cheese, then join with your fellow players and just wink at the camera knowing we're all having to do a slight suspension of disbelief in order to improve the game down the road. A lot of us have been here before (what do you mean I can't assassinate someone with a throwing knife? I've done it every day for two years now!) and it might be annoying but hey, as a two stick fighter, I'll be glad to play dumb and count my blessings :D!

Hey Keifer,

Sorry for the confusion. Several of the rules changes are not really explanable in-game in normal terms. While its easy to accept the changes to magic being caused by plot its a bit harder to imagine the laws of physics and swordsmanship changing in the blink of an eye. Its a little difficult to do in a day but bear with us.

In essence we have to use a bit of a "Deus Ex" plot twist to explain it all make it all fit without destroying peoples characters in the process. We've also added, with the help of the National Plot Comittee some plot to explain this major sudden change. I can't get into it 100% without spoiling it for everyone but we are trying our hardest to make the change both seamless OOG with only the slightest Hiccup IG. I cant guarantee everyone will be overjoyed by the plot line surrounding it but keep in mind that the best way to work through this change is to work together with each other and with your plot team.

Thanks,

Paul

2 quick notes:

If your character is based in another chronicle and has already received a rewrite and has the new rule set you may come in at the opener with said skills and use them.

You do not have to make use of the rewrite in April but may if you already know what you want to switch to please let us know so we can be ready for you.

Paul

Back