Roleplaying non-humans

meirya

Artisan
When you RP a non-human (PC race or NPC race), how do you roleplay "not human"? Do you just RP it as a cultural difference, humans with prosthetics and different cultural norms? Or have you found ways to access and express the non-humanness (otherness, alienness) of the species you're playing?

(This is of particular interest to me as an NPC, as I think a lot of the NPC races venture further into the alien than most PC races. I'm also particularly interested in how one can distinguish dwarves, elves, hoblings, and mystics from humans in ways other than just makeup/costuming, because they all seem pretty close to "human" in behavior/culture.)

I am inclined to believe that it's not necessarily a bad thing that non-human races act "human" rather than "alien." They aren't alien - they're as natural to the world of Fortannis as humans are. For me, the differences are cultural and from a perspective point of view (especially when it comes to long-lived races), rather than a "blue and orange morality" mindset.

I try to save the truly alien behavior for truly alien beings, like extraplanar creatures.

How do you particularly communicate "alien" when you play an extra planar creature? What tips would you give a brand new NPC that is playing, say, a small elemental or something?

Right now I tell my NPCs "try to move like the animal/element/creature you're playing" but it's nonspecific advice and I'm wondering if anyone has more tangible ideas.

Motivation is everything. Why is the elemental there? What is it doing to accomplish its goals? What difficulties is it experiencing?

Knowing that the earth elemental is there because it eats gold and silver and wants to get it from the PCs but it can't move quickly through air informs a lot about the way it moves and the actions it takes, for example.

I agree. Motivation is great. the 'you are here to die' motivation is no fun. its not engaging. The 'you will most likely die, because you are elementals, but these letters are given to you to deliever a message of insult to players' is a lot more fun. Especcially if those NPCs survive.

I always put a lot of thought into how I move when I play different creatures, especially when it comes to playing non-humans and non-humanoids. It's sort of hard to describe specifics without seeing it in action or trying it yourself, but simply the way you stand and walk when you play assorted races can really help convey a bit about them and makes it seem less like everything PCs meet is just a human player in makeup. More civil races are more controlled with their movement, whereas more savage races are more unpredictable and wild in theirs.

For example, this comes into play with my PCs: My elf stands very straight and is rigid in his movement, whereas the movement style of my uncouth little dryad was specifically designed with the word "floppy" in mind. I did this to make me seem really different when I'm playing my dryad versus my elf at events and make the omnipresent "it's just Alexander the real life human dressed up in different outfits" less noticeable.

I figure that when dealing with something that has a psychology that doesn't necessarily follow a precise human template, the goal is to make it be perceived as alien. So you start by removing the sociological structures and nonverbal cues that tell people you are "from around these parts." Preferably in ways that communicate the specific "otherness" of that entity in question and that highlight the "alien shores of another's mind" (to borrow a phrase from CS Friedman) even if we otherwise look identical.

To go with a quote from Patrick Rothfuss from Wise Man's Fear on the Fae:

I have heard people say that men and the Fae are as different as dogs and wolves. While this is an easy analogy, it is far from true. Wolves and dogs are only separated by a minor shade of blood. Both howl at night. If beaten, both will bite.

No. Our people and theirs are as different as water and alcohol. In equal glasses they look the same. Both liquid. Both clear. Both wet, after a fashion. But one will burn, and the other will not. This has nothing to do with temperament or timing. These two things behave differently because they are profoundly, fundamentally not the same.

The same is true with humans and the Fae. We forget it at our peril.
So how does one communicate this? I won't claim to do it well, but I am striving to improve in this area. I like to borrow the worldbuilding tools that science fiction and fantasy writers have used for ages.

I start by removing the sociological structures that people will associate with being "from here" (not necessarily human, but from this place since the word "alien" comes from the Latin alienus or "belonging to another"). To me it is important to ask not just what is "alien" but what conveys a sense of the "alien" to most people.

So what is my concept of time? What is my concept of space? What is my emotional template? How intelligent am I compared to the human average and how would this manifest? What are the social rules that are common among humans but which I—coming from whatever background it is that I am coming from—probably have at best limited awareness of? Do I understand concepts such as "gender" or "age"?

Then there are matters that are defined in relationship to the local culture that every human culture does a little differently. When we look at the subcategories for nonverbal communication we have concepts such as haptics (touch), kinesics (body movement), vocalics (paralanguage), chronemics (sense of time), and proxemics (sense of space). There are also varying degrees of high and low context and matters of how the character would view status.

Consciously thinking about these is a great way to portray the "alien." This goes when trying to portray something that does have a human psychosocial template but is from a significant region (humans from different regions should generally have different cultures, after all) as well as when trying to portray something that is truly inhuman.

So a Mystic Wood Elf is both incredibly long-lived and incredibly focused on the present. Sensation, emotion, but also with a long lifespan in which to contemplate these things. How does this change how that character interacts? How does this character interact from the standpoint of rank and status? Since the race is almost defined in terms of their passions, is there a way to effectively communicate this through tone of voice or how I pitch my voice? The MWE might have a very difference sense of what constitutes "personal space" and naturally stand at a distance that others would view as uncomfortable. Or spontaneously end up sitting on the table because that's a more comfortable place to sit for the conversation at hand.

If I am playing Life Elemental it doesn't even have the context, necessarily, to understand the beings it is talking to. Perhaps a flat affect and level pattern of speaking, maybe adding slight pauses to the speaking pattern to give the impression of it translating "english" from something more alien. Then there are the cultural notes in what it talks about and how it refers to things since it really isn't from around these parts. Its sense of time is not. quite. in. sync. so it might make sense to refer to things in terms of "lifespans" ("that will happen in the lifespan of a fruit fly" instead of "an instant") or in terms of seasons (instead of months, since seasons more closely match growth than a kind-of-lunar calendar). Perhaps make every movement very deliberate, or shift restlessly when on the mortal plane because of being surrounded by small deaths everywhere.

There are myriad other ways to interpret both of these, of course, just take the basic principles and extrapolate outward and you may end up in a very different place that still gets the point across. That—to me—is really the important thing.

Last edited:
Back