Rougue/Fighter Skills

A.mungo

Scout
Marshal
Atlanta Staff
Okay, so here is a weird one. I am using the ARB 1.1

Wording from the book under skills

Skills listed with a * can be bought multiple times to improve or increase the skill. Read the description carefully

Disarm*: ...This skill can be purchased every time a character has purchased a Weapon Proficiency or Backstab...
Riposte*:...A Riposte may be purchased once for every four Weapon Proficiencies or Backstabs...
Slay*:...A Slay may be bought once for every two Weapon Proficiencies. (After Weapon Proficiency +2, +4, etc.)...
Shatter*:...This skill can be purchased once a character has purchased Three Weapon Proficiencies or Backstabs...
Stun Limb*:...This skill can be purchased once a character has purchased Three Weapon Proficiencies or Backstabs...

So my question is this. By the book it would seem that I am able to purchase any number of Shatter's or Stun Limb's that I can afford once I have purchased Three Weapon Proficiencies or Backstabs. Is this true.

Information leading to this:
Disarm qualifies it as every time the other skill is purchased
Riposte specifically calls out that it may be only purchased once per four of the other skills you have
Slay provides an example after putting the same qualifying language
Shatter and Stun Limb have no qualifier. They just state that it may be purchased once you meet the minimum requirement which seems to be three

Is this something that was purposely not updated (or not necessary to be updated) with the new rulebook? Was it intentional? Is it supposed to be that I can do this?

I am looking for something a little more official than that is just the way that it has always been done. Upon just reading it, and going by the intro paragraph on the skills page, and not having the backing of experience (i.e. if I was starting a new chapter [which I am not]) I would naturally believe this to be possible. I imagine this has been brought up before, but with no change to the wording in the *New* rulebook can I assume that it is an on purpose and go stun limb crazy, or am I still hobbled by conjecture?

Yeah it's poor wording they mean you can purchase it once per every three. Otherwise some limbs are about to get stunned!

A.Mungo said:
Is this true.
No.

A.Mungo said:
Is this something that was purposely not updated (or not necessary to be updated) with the new rulebook?
It was missed. I blame JP. ;)

A.Mungo said:
Was it intentional? Is it supposed to be that I can do this?
I doubt it was intentional and no, I don't believe you can do this.

A.Mungo said:
I am looking for something a little more official than that is just the way that it has always been done.
Then you should put it up for the ARC to rule on. Otherwise, you will just be getting the ruling based on local interpretation. Until I hear otherwise, as Seattle Logistics, I will be ensuring that players only purchase one Shatter and one Stun Limb per 3 Proficiencies or 3 Backstabs.

Awesome. I appreciate the answers. I know it seems common sense, but I wanted to make sure that it was a mistake as I am working on a relational database where the wording is important. I will throw it up to the ARC just to get a consistent final answer (obviously if someone is transferring in and their chapter uses the strict wording of the book there could be an issue.).

A.Mungo said:
Awesome. I appreciate the answers. I know it seems common sense, but I wanted to make sure that it was a mistake as I am working on a relational database where the wording is important. I will throw it up to the ARC just to get a consistent final answer (obviously if someone is transferring in and their chapter uses the strict wording of the book there could be an issue.).

I just posted it to get the ball rolling.

http://www.alliancelarp.com/forum/viewt ... 98&t=12843

Awesome! Thanks again Seth. It will really help me in my program.

ARC has spoken:

Yes, the intention for these skills is definitely that you can purchase one for every X purchases of Backstab or Proficiency.

One Disarm can be purchased for each purchase of Backstab or Proficiency.
One Stun Limb can be purchased for every three purchases of Backstab or Proficiency.

If you have three purchases of Proficiency, you can purchase up to three Disarms and one Stun Limb but no more until you purchase additional Proficiencies.

These guidelines continue for the other similar skills (Slay, Parry, Assassinate, Evade, etc.).

-Bryan Gregory
ARC

Back