Rule Books and Players Guides and stuff

A couple of announcements. Discussion welcome.

Cost Increase

Because of the increasing cost to print books, the Rule Book is being raised to $20. Sorry, I wish I didn't have to. I have tried always to keep the costs as low as possible.

This also applies to the Ashbury Player's Guide.

Ironically, my novel "Arch Enemies" is now being published as a regular title (instead of print on demand) and as such, the price has gone down to $19. Go figure. (Mind you, I don't set these prices, they are set by myu publisher.)

Downloadable books

I had made a deal with my publisher to have him distribute our books as e-books, which will increase visibility and make it easy for players to get a cheap copy for their computer.

Unfortunately the original idea (PDFs) has proven to be impossible, as the file would be just too big for downloading.

This means that the only other solution is to make the books available as text only, without any pictures or maps (I think I can include the charts though). My request for color pictures for the next Rule Book is thus no longer needed (although new pictures in general are always wanted).

Of course, the advantage of text-only is that it makes it very easy to search for terms.

So do you think people would want text-only books without pictures or maps? (I could add the maps to the web page and have a link in the book so people can download them separately.) And would you be willing to pay $5 for that?

I am somewhat curious as to why it would be "too big to download". I have technical manuals in pdf that are several hundred pages. In the world of high-speed internet, nothing is too big to download.

So -- are you saying we have to go with one or the other or is this just a general discussion? Because I think both are pretty viable and useful in their own ways.

I think having an e-book option is really good for brand new players who need to get a grips on the game before the necessarily play; I know I wish that option had been available to me when I started playing, because it was awhile before I could get a hold of a book. Even without pictures and what-not, it's a good starting point into the game and gives new players an idea of what they're getting into before they show up and start tossing packets and swinging pipe. Although I don't see how it can be too big of a file -- I mean, in a world where people are downloading full discographies of bands, a big PDF doesn't seem like too much.

Granted, pictures are kind of helpful as far as building a character. Trying to visualize the racial make-up requirements of some races isn't easy and having a visual of that is helpful -- but that's something that's sort of later in the game for most people (running on the assumption that most people will NPC before they PC), and they can eventually pick up a hard copy of the rulebook for that sort of thing.

Robb Graves said:
I am somewhat curious as to why it would be "too big to download". I have technical manuals in pdf that are several hundred pages. In the world of high-speed internet, nothing is too big to download.

My publisher makes his e-books available to any distributor who wants to carry them, which means dozens (if not hundreds) of on-line e-book stores. He says that they won't carry books that big; they are used to carrying novels and print books...

That's different from buying a technical journal, I guess.

I sent him our new Players Guide and he said it was just too big. He also said that if it was available in all e-book formats, it would sell better (as opposed to only PDF).

youthculture said:
So -- are you saying we have to go with one or the other or is this just a general discussion? Because I think both are pretty viable and useful in their own ways.

I think having an e-book option is really good for brand new players who need to get a grips on the game before the necessarily play; I know I wish that option had been available to me when I started playing, because it was awhile before I could get a hold of a book. Even without pictures and what-not, it's a good starting point into the game and gives new players an idea of what they're getting into before they show up and start tossing packets and swinging pipe. Although I don't see how it can be too big of a file -- I mean, in a world where people are downloading full discographies of bands, a big PDF doesn't seem like too much.

Granted, pictures are kind of helpful as far as building a character. Trying to visualize the racial make-up requirements of some races isn't easy and having a visual of that is helpful -- but that's something that's sort of later in the game for most people (running on the assumption that most people will NPC before they PC), and they can eventually pick up a hard copy of the rulebook for that sort of thing.

I suppose I could make the PDFs available myself. You'd pay for it, and when I receive payment, I personally email it to you (as opposed to sticking a book in an envelope and mailing it).

if you have too you have too but I for one like to see the pictures the people the costumes the how to do this or that
stuff like seeing the picture for the elf having a beard and saying Hay I can be an elf and have a beard or so thats what the hors on a Mwe look like
is kinda inportan (to me anyway)

fw

Fearless Leader said:
Robb Graves said:

My publisher makes his e-books available to any distributor who wants to carry them, which means dozens (if not hundreds) of on-line e-book stores. He says that they won't carry books that big; they are used to carrying novels and print books...

That's different from buying a technical journal, I guess.

I sent him our new Players Guide and he said it was just too big. He also said that if it was available in all e-book formats, it would sell better (as opposed to only PDF).

gotcha. that makes sense.

Although a download-able text would be better than nothing online I don't know if I would get it in addition to the regular rulebook. A pdf just would appeal allot more to me than just a text document because the pictures and formating add a really nice feel. Perhaps you can do the text file through the publisher and the pdf privately, if so that would be cool.

Text only version actually appeals to me a lot. It would be a lot smaller file and easily placed on a PDA. That would be great for quick look-ups when I'm at work, as opposed to pulling out a rulebook from a bag. Not that I let myself get sidetracked by Alliance at work... really... honest...

Fearless Leader said:
I suppose I could make the PDFs available myself. You'd pay for it, and when I receive payment, I personally email it to you (as opposed to sticking a book in an envelope and mailing it).

Is there a reason you couldn't do both? Have your publisher distribute a text/chart only ebook, and set up a way to distribute the PDF version yourself.

Frank Wiccan said:
if you have too you have too but I for one like to see the pictures the people the costumes the how to do this or that
stuff like seeing the picture for the elf having a beard and saying Hay I can be an elf and have a beard or so thats what the hors on a Mwe look like

fw

Which is why, even if you download the book in text form, we would make it clear that you really should buy the actual book.

Tom Andary said:
Fearless Leader said:

Is there a reason you couldn't do both? Have your publisher distribute a text/chart only ebook, and set up a way to distribute the PDF version yourself.

That's probably going to be the way to go. I need to talk to him though and make sure he doesn't think that would be a violation of any non-competition agreement we may sign.

Frank Wiccan said:

fw

I realize that it's just a mis-spelling, and I'm not picking on you, Frank. However, having said that...
I've always wondered what hors on a MWE looked like also. =)

Honestly, I would prefer a digital copy of the book in PDF format as opposed to a text-only document.

I may just end up ordering two books if a PDF isn't available; rip one apart and scan it at work.

Fearless Leader said:
A couple of announcements. Discussion welcome.

Cost Increase

Because of the increasing cost to print books, the Rule Book is being raised to $20. Sorry, I wish I didn't have to. I have tried always to keep the costs as low as possible.

This also applies to the Ashbury Player's Guide.

Ironically, my novel "Arch Enemies" is now being published as a regular title (instead of print on demand) and as such, the price has gone down to $19. Go figure. (Mind you, I don't set these prices, they are set by myu publisher.)

Holy moley! What publisher are you using?

If you look at, say, Lulu.com, a color cover, internal B&W paperback "perfect-bound" 8.5" x 11" (so same size and style as the current rulebook) costs you about $8 before any bulk discount. And that's if you're doing it for yourself ... if you're working with a separate publisher they should be using their buying power to make things *cheaper* for you, not far more expensive! Shipping is additional of course, but it's not $12 a book!

-Bryan

I would most DEFINITELY jump at the chance to have both a hard copy and an electronic copy.

Searchability on electronic formats makes rules easy to deal with sometimes.

Stephen

Back