Save Prosthetics Petition

This is Bill. Many of you know me through my character Amaranthus or as the Head of Plot for Nine Towers or perhaps as the Head of Food down in HQ . In real life I am a prosthetist: someone who makes artificial limbs. Most of the patients I treat are in their 50's and 60's as well as the elderly. These patients are Medicare patients and for the most part that works fine.

That is about to change.

There is a proposed Medicare rule change that will change the rules on what is considered "medically necessary" in a prosthetic device. These changes will make it impossible for me or anyone else in the field to make modern prosthetic devices for patients. The changes revert the available technology back to the 1970's, for those who will even be allowed to have one AT ALL, which is sadly going to be very very few people.

So I'm reaching out to the Alliance community. The gaming community has a great history of doing the right thing in big causes so I'm asking for your help again. First visit

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov//p...s-and-returning-amputees-1970s-standards-care

And sign the petition. Let the White House staff know that we find the proposed restrictions unacceptable and that the richest country in the world should not be using 40 year old prosthetic technology or telling someone that just because they are over 65 that a wheelchair is "good enough". Share this with everyone you know.

Second go to www.saveprosthetics.com and follow the links to submit a letter to the Head of CMS letting them know that prosthetics and the ability to walk are not a luxury. Share this with everyone you know.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. The deadline for public comments is August 30th 2015 so please, time is of the essence.

William Gibbs
American Board for Certification in Orthotics, Prosthetics, and Pedorthics Board Eligible Prosthetist
Staff Prosthetist, International Prosthetics and Orthotics in Bohemia NY

Done and done.

Back