Scavengers

Oi what a loaded question, Like anything else I think scavengers will each have a differnt experience.

Generally one of my favorite aspects of playing a scavenger is that they can have a vastly differnce point of view on life. For example my Turtle tends to take a long view of things, this can make him appear stubborn (they'll see he was right eventually) or uncaring at times, but its really just a fact of life that he lives at a slower (more deliberate) pace. The lack of desire for worldly goods can be very interesting, scavengers by and large simply do not horde wealth, they don't see a reason for it. Specifically why is up to you (IE is it because they think others will share their excess, or simply they can't imagining needing more then they have/the basics)

One thing I've found is that people will make great assumptions about your character based on what you are portraying. Stubborn suddenly because stupid (after all, if their glib tongue can't explain things to you so you agree....). Generosity has been taken by many to mean a total lack of awareness (just because I give it away, doesn't mean I don't see what you do it with, or just because I have a bag of 'random' junk doesn't mean its not obvious when someone steals from it, just that I don't care)

On the whole its a very entertaining way to play, and it can be a great way to choose your own plotlines/jump between groups as an inquisitive scavenger.

Ok. Here it goes...

I play a fox scavenger named Semaj. My character does have a different viewpoint on life. He doesn't understand nobility. He has no intention of becomming a Squire or a Baron. He sees things in a simpler fashion. He doesn't have much wealth but he will gather supplies and he will be resourceful with what he has. My character is curious, which sometimes gets him into trouble. He also is skittish around Gorbe (Sarr).

There are a few people who interact with him. There is an assumption that he is not as smart or civilized as other races, but this is untrue. What is cool is that Semaj does have a great sense of freedom by not being tied down by adventuring groups. This can work positively or negatively.

Another great thing is to be able to choose two racial abilities. Semaj has Racial Proficiency and Resist Poison.

The main disadvantages of my character are as follows:

1) Double cost for Read and Write and Read Magic: For a spellcaster, this was a slight problem to overcome earlier on with Semaj. It is a delay but afterwards there is smooth sailing for choosing skills.

2) Makeup and costuming: The great thing about scavengers is that a person can choose how to look like a certain animal. Semaj has a fuzzy fox tail that I made, a pair of gloves with black fur sewn on them to look like fox paws, a nose prosthetic, tons of red and white makeup, a black hood to cover the top and back part off my head, and black and white ears.

The main thing a person playing a scavenger has to keep in mind is that it will take time to get ready. Makeup takes time to be applied. Prosthetic pieces take time being adjusted and put on. Removing makeup takes time too (it takes time and alot of elbow grease to remove the red makeup because it really sinks in with the skin.)

The main point of playing a scavenger:

1) Research how the animal you will be playing acts. Note it behaviors, what it eats, how it attacks, etc.

2) Have fun with it. The main thing about being a scavenger is freedom to role play how you want.

Playing a Scavenger is an interesting experience. Having started out Gorbe, Shin's justifications for following archetype are a bit different from one who was born a scavenger, though.

I play a coyote scavenger named Mischief at HQ; from what I've seen, I play a very different type of scavenger from other people I've seen. She's more wild in nature, and acts a lot more animal than she does 'civilized upright'. She's also partaken in becoming a hunting dog to the barony she's a member of, since coyotes are small pack oriented, and usually hunt in pairs.

A lot of what I based her on came from the direct animal, as well as the native american mythos surrounding the animal (hence the name.)

Hope this helps?

-Ali

Dont forget plays the didgeridoo. Cant forget that.
Scavys are fun. No bones about it. Look at 'The Zoo' while it was around. They made more fun for them selves then plot did at least once.

Whatever happened to "The Zoo?"
I remember they were around the first time I played.
Then they poofed out of existance.

My other favorite scavenger team is the panda team.
I miss them too.

OH lord... those pandas....

I have a secondary I played just once in an Ashbury low level. His name is Boris, and he is a brown bear. Boris lives in caves, which are rather tight places, so he fights with a crossbow. He has Racial Proficiency and Racial Slay -- no claws. He likes to eat and sleep, and wanders great distances across the continent, and lives a solitary life, just as the large male animal the he resembles.

That one time I played Boris, he slept alone, and not behind a ward -- in fact, his first night there he found an empty "cave" (actually a totally vacant cabin, save one chair which I kind of slept in sitting up, back to the door to keep it closed, with crossbow in one hand and a handful of bolts in the other - just in case someone tried to come into the "cave" -- it was really OOG scary, in a way.

Boris is a cold weather character, and there is a chance that he might be seen on some other continent than where he is from ... if the opportunity presents itself.

I usually leave out the part about the didge....specifically because she doesn't exactly play it -well- :)

-Ali

I am looking to play a mouse scavenger for the time being. A fighter with resist bind and resist poison.

I just wanted to hear about other peoples experiences with playing/interacting with scavengers.

My secondary in the works (should make an apperence sometime in 2009) is a racoon scavy rouge. Its a remake of a charater (personality, manerisims, etc) of a character from another game that no longer exisits. He was soo funny to play back then that I felt that its worth it to make him again.
--bill

Marcena said:
I am looking to play a mouse scavenger for the time being. A fighter with resist bind and resist poison.

I just wanted to hear about other peoples experiences with playing/interacting with scavengers.

Most scavengers are seen as outsiders, even when they are amongst groups of people.
My fox scavenger is often seen among people but only a few people interact with him.
This is a benefit and a curse.
It is a benefit because he can observe everyone without drawing much attention.
It is a curse because being a social scavenger whose background history involved him being adopted by a non-scavenger family, he wants a few people to socialize with, especially other scavengers.

My character did get into trouble one event. He looked at a bunch of gorbe. The gorbe thought he was a gnoll so they killed my character, gave him Amnesia, and his his stuff.
He resurrected, and with the help of some of his friends was able to bring the gorbe to justice.

Overall my character is pretty easy going, social, and assists people when they need help.

Since your character is a mouse, you may run into some problems with people whose animal counterparts hunt mice like foxes, felines (gorbe), and others.

I would have to disagree. Not all scavengers are universally seen as outsiders. I can think of at least 3 that are on a team, and 2 that are on courts littered throughout the East Coast.

Whether your character is viewed as an outsider is completely dependent upon who the character knows, and how they interact with people.

-Ali

zehnyu said:
I would have to disagree. Not all scavengers are universally seen as outsiders. I can think of at least 3 that are on a team, and 2 that are on courts littered throughout the East Coast.

Whether your character is viewed as an outsider is completely dependent upon who the character knows, and how they interact with people.

-Ali

Heck, one scavvy I know started a team! Jehan, who was a wolf scavvy at the time, formed a team to be his "pack", his family.

I'm sure the Pankarens will show up again!

:)

Justin H-
One of the four slumbering pandas!

I have problems with this. If they gave you an amnesia, why did you go looking for justice? Also, if they bothered with the amnesia they didn't think you were a gnoll.
kitsune85 said:
My character did get into trouble one event. He looked at a bunch of gorbe. The gorbe thought he was a gnoll so they killed my character, gave him Amnesia, and his his stuff.
He resurrected, and with the help of some of his friends was able to bring the gorbe to justice.

Perhaps the perp made a mistake. This has happened to my character. She was amnesia'd then murdered, the last thing she could remember was being alone in the woods with two people. The next thing she knows, she's in the rez circle with all her things. She asked the two she remembers being with what had happened. "Oh, it was a desparate battle! We couldn't get there to heal you in time, so we had to go back to town." And she was "Umm...if it was such a desparate battle, why are all of my things here and what exactly was attacking?" They both had different stories as to what attacked us. They were executed by the Magistrate.

Amnesias in game tend to cause problems resolving. The only time I've seen one applied myself caused all sorts of issues that took awhile to sort out as everyone will have a differnt opinion on what someone who lost their memory might suspect, people should not look at amnesia as a get out of jail free card, unless the entire incident is covered by the one hour (from hi, how ya doing to mwa ha ha got yer stuff) they'll come looking for answers, and frankly amnesia would likely be anyones first suspect.

Back