SCAVENGERS

Okay I have a question.

I am researching the animal that I want to play as a scavenger. How close do I have to play my scavenger?
ie: if the animal only eats ___________________
do i have to role play out eating only _______________
or would there be differences? like can I eat other stuff ? heheheh

also the animal I want to play is primarily nocturnal but I go to bed at 12 midnight....would the scavenger version be different and sleep different hours or should I look to play something a little more like myself? heheh

Indeed. you are part 'human' as well so there is no set rule as to how that works.

I personally don't care about the cold, and while my snake scavenger is obviously not cold blooded, I constantly bitch about the cold when i play him, and I sit in the sun all the time. Even in the summer, which blows. I tell play that as having a lower body temperature than the normal person due to my reptilian nature, but I am not paralyzed by the cold, nor will it kill me (unless it is delivered in the form of a packet).

But I also play him as liking carrots, because we had multiple rabbit/hare scavengers that were afraid of me eating them so they would always give me carrots. He grew to like them.

So generally the way I see it is you should have some traits that relate to your animal, but you don't have to be exact.

I have seen several scavengers done fantastically well with incorporating their animal type into their character, and those are the characters I use as my 'role model' to try and make my own character better.

thanks so much for the advice! my husband and i are PCing for the first time so we created "easy" character that wouldn't require any costuming (gypsies) and now that we are starting to enjoy the RP so much we are already working on our secondary characters which we will build up over the next two years. I want to play a vampire bat scavenger but they ONLY drink blood and i'm thinking "jeepers I'm gonna be really sick of V8!"

Its one thing to play a bat scavenger but I'm not sure if you could actually legitimately call yourself a vampire? Because that is a huge NPC generally with vampire gaze and all sorts of crazy scary stuff exe exe...

Just use real blood...

I think that 'blood' should be a treat for your character. She'll eat and drink other stuff, but she 'blood' is her favorite.

You can largely pick and choose your scavenger traits. My dog scavenger never chases his tail, for example, because I get dizzy easily, but he does covet bones and circle his chair before sitting down.

I've been playing with the idea of starting an Opossum Scavenger. I'd agree, I'd play the diet of them as an RP flavor; a treat. (there's no way you'd find me eating bugs)
Because a scavenger is humaniod, that puts in a few extra food needs, because the nutrition in blood would not be enough. It'd need solid food.

Really you can make your scavenger as close to or as far away from the real animal.

What I do is I add the personality traits of an animal. I not only look at the biology but I look at books, movies, videogames, and anything else relating to the animal

I play a fox scavenger. Unlike a fox, he does not sleep in a den nor eats mice or bugs. Personality wise he is cunning, playful, inquizitive, and sometimes gets into trouble because of being gulible. I actually based his personality on both what a fox represents in Native American shaminism as well as from other sources.

JIM

<<< I've been playing with the idea of starting an Opossum Scavenger. >>>

Ohmigawd, you stole my idea! :)

I was hoping to one day play an Opossum scavenger who would "play dead" every time he took damage.

--- Eric Stehle / Ivan Drake

I was going to have mine "play dead" as soon as combat started, and the second an opponent (or presumed opponent) touched her she'd whip out the spells [planning her as a celestial caster]

Dreamingfurther said:
Its one thing to play a bat scavenger but I'm not sure if you could actually legitimately call yourself a vampire? Because that is a huge NPC generally with vampire gaze and all sorts of crazy scary stuff exe exe...

She's not playing a Vampire who is a bat scavenger... she's playing a scavenger of the vampire bat animal, Desmodus rotundus...

tieran said:
Dreamingfurther said:

She's not playing a Vampire who is a bat scavenger... she's playing a scavenger of the vampire bat animal, Desmodus rotundus...

And besides, it would be hilarious to watch the healers get up in arms about the 'Undead Scavenger!' until one tossed a destroy undead at her and got 'No effect, what the heck?' :mrgreen:

Its too bad vampires aren't real world animals... I would totally play a vampire scavenger ;-)

Not quite the same...

and I doubt I could justify Resist Magic and Racial Dodge for a Leech Scavvie ;-)

I reeeeaaallly only want to do vampire bat scavenger because of the nose. TOO CUTE!!! like a little piggy! but dark brown and black with wingies!

the other bats looke like foxes hence their misleading nickname "Flying Foxes"

but I found the mask finally and figured out the costume (and how to not die of heat while wearing it) as well as how to still be able to fight while wearing it.

but the more i read i was like JEEPERS this thing ONLY comes out at night and it ONLY drinks blood....i mean i think i'll keep V8 around for a treat like hoyce said but she's gonna HAVE to eat other stuff and wear a wide brimmed hat in order to keep the sun off ...not sure what clothes to wear yet either. ..hmm....what would a bat wear? heheheheh

id love to see more scavengers in game. i saw the koala scanveger once or twice at caldaria...it squeeks!!! too cute!! so one time i was NPCing a water elemental that had just bit the dust...the koala comes over and squeeks then whispers "I search your puddle" I was like "WHAT?!" it goes "i'm searching your puddle for treasure." I almost died laughing! problem with furry scavengers is i want to pet them and love them and feed them and call them George!

speaking of my bat....does anyone have a good idea for ears besides dark elf ears? a friend suggested putting them on backwards to they sling back instead of forward however a bats ears are rounded and bigger than an elf....any suggestions?

Well, bats are flying rodents. So maybe find some rat/mouse ears and tweak them a little?

Also, In-game she can tell people whatever she wants.

For example, my snake scavenger, could go around telling everyone he was a dragon scavenger. Hell, he could go around telling everyone he was a Biata (Which would be all sorts of fun, just to piss off those feathery jerks!).

The card has to say an actual animal, for which Vampire bat qualifies.

Make sure you pick the correct variety of vampire bat that fits the closest with what you want to play. The hairy-legged vampire bat has better sight than the other two, and tends to be more solitary. Might be good for just a pair of you, and make it so you don't have to worry about bad eysight, and non-superhuman hearing.

Back