Service Animals and the Alliance

HBAnahi

Some backstory, I approached the Alliance of Oregon group back in July as a newcomer to the Allaince, asking about group schedules via Gmail, and spoke with their very helpful new player representative, Keegan. Our conversation was fairly brief, as I was informed that the Alliance chapters in Oregon have a strict no-animals policy, and that this extends to service animals as well. Since I am someone who requires the help of a service animal, I would be unable to play. When I expressed my dismay, Keegan invited me to open this dialogue in the http://www.alliancelarp.com/forum forum rules sub-heading, so I'm here!

It took me some time to think on it, but I do think I would like to begin this discussion. I understand that there is a rash of fake 'service animals' that have been cropping up, and they do pose a threat to those who need actual service animals and the public at large. Improperly trained animals, especially in this LARP situation where people are using foam weaponry, could be a danger to your players and that is unacceptable. I completely agree on that count, and would like to remind the Alliance at large that, just like an unruly human customer, you can ask any unruly 'service animal' to leave. This often is a clause that those with fake service animals like to ignore or leave out, as they are exploiting a service in order to bring Fluffy in public. I have included a link at the bottom to the US American with Disabilities Act (ADA) laws pertaining to the subject.

I completely understand that the safety of your players is paramount and adding animals into a highly charged event in any case is and can be a huge liability issue. However, I couldn't help but feel the strict no-animals policy is an extremely exclusionary clause for those with disabilities who wish to join your game, especially considering the ADA. Those with real service dogs recognize that they have a very expensive and much-loved medical 'tool', and would be more than happy to abide by any extra rules (like they already do in public every day) to keep their fellow players and their own fuzzball safe. I'm sure you have a few people who would love to join in the costuming festivities that are hindered by the no-animals clause.

In my case, I love to make chainmail and enjoy tavern-keeping RP in online forums. I was hoping to join as a Serpent Wylderkin Artisan, playing as either a blacksmith, jeweler or a tavernkeep; Some profession that kept myself and my dog safely tucked out of the way of the combatants, but still allowed me the pleasure of dressing up and interacting with what seems like an extremely fun and accepting community. I am more than happy to be an NPC. I would not wish to try and bring my highly trained animal into actual (if slightly foamy) combat, but am content to RP on the sidelines.

Acknowledging the liability and the presence of those who would abuse the system, my question is would the Alliance of Oregon be open to creating a subset of rules for those who want to be part of the community, but have service animals?

I offer a rule where service animals must be on-duty anytime there might be any combat in the area. If they must be off-duty to relieve themselves (which my animal does), the owner must find a place far away from any of the designated combat zones to allow the dog to be off-vest.

Perhaps since the players have to sign a waiver, those with service animals must also include a letter from either their prescribing doctor or the training facility where they acquired their animal? Several airline services are adopting this policy for the safety of their passengers, and I completely agree with it.

There could also be the option of certain areas where those with service dogs aren't allowed for the safety of others and themselves. Those with service animals would either have to apply or create their own thing, allowing for more 'town folk' options. Costuming rules could be made for the animals as well, so long as the dog's vest/kerchief/etc. is on and visible to show the animal is working. These items vary from service dog to service dog.

I have also included links to the ADA.gov website, that properly illustrates what public facilities can do when a dog is misbehaving, as well as the duties that the handler of such a dog MUST abide by. The FAQ from the .gov website also includes the question about Emotional Support Animals and Therapy dogs, which does not fall under a service animal category and thus does not qualify for the ADA rulings, which is IMPORTANT. Several people have attempted to pass untrained ESA's as service animals to force their way into public areas, and that is not what I am asking Alliance of Oregon to allow.

https://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

https://www.ada.gov/regs2010/service_animal_qa.html

I hope this opens a well-informed discussion amongst the players and their leaders, and look forward to continuing the conversation. Thank you.

Hello there!

I believe this was opened in the incorrect section of our forums (the National Forums are remarkably large and difficult to navigate at times).

Since this was something you were directing towards Alliance Oregon, would a Paladin please move this to the Oregon section, under Out of Game, please?

I believe we can handle it from there. Thank you!

edit to this as place holder.

Hello @HBAnahi,

My name is Rick Raddue and I am the Owner of Alliance Oregon. While we have done, and continue to do, quite a lot to help people with disabilities or physical ailments (I, myself, am a stutterer, for instance), we have never had to deal with anyone who has wanted to bring a service animal. While it is the Oregon Staff's belief (and hope!) that we could make accommodations for you and your animal, we are not the only people who have a say in this. The other entities involved are both our hosting locations and their policies, and also our insurance company and whether or not our policy covers service animals whom might end up injured. Unfortunately, if either our insurance or our hosting location do not allow service animals, we will not be able to make any accommodations for your animal.

I have reached out to both our insurance and our primary site and they will be getting the information back to me soon. Until that time, we cannot give you any kind of official ruling as to whether we can work with you on this. Rest assured, however, that if everything checks out we would be happy to continue this conversation.

Back