sewing leather on a machine?

i plan to be sewing leather soon, and i was wondering if anyone has any advice. i would like to do it on a machine... but if i have to i'll do it by hand. should I get special thread? is there a certain width the stitches should be in order to not make the leather rip but still make it rain repellant? perhaps i should do tent folds on it like if i was using canvas? is there a special thread i should use or is all purpose just fine?

thanks for your comments in advance

I have used a normal fabric machine for SUPER lightweight leather before and it worked fine for me with three caveats:

1. Buy leather needles.
2. Set the stitches to 5mm or so.
3. Run it very very slowly.

This is how I have made about half of a dozen bags* and the machine is still running great. Just take your time.

* http://i.imgur.com/PUBr4Vt.jpg I am the guy on the left and you can see the pouch on my bandoleer and the pouch on my belt in this shot, both of those were made with a regular fabric sewing machine.

I use leather needles and an old 70's all metal machine on 2-point leather and it runs fine. I generally use upholstery thread, but you probably don't have to. If your machine has any plastic on it, it might not be powerful enough. I know someone that burnt out a newer machine's motor trying to sew leather, so it's not for everyone. If your machine struggles, don't risk it.

alright, thanks for the advice. I took my machine to a sewing machine shop and had it looked at and they said it is heavy duty and could probably sew leather. the leather i bought is for couches so its not very thick. but I'll still take my time and go slow with larger stitches. thanks for the advice again.

As soon as I have it done I'll post a pic.

Back