Sewing problems.

Agahi

Scout
First off, I didnt know where I should put this. I am semi-new at sewing, and I have been making a robe for a while now. I have it pretty well constructed, and it looks nice, but the problem is that the sleeves are to tight where they connect to the torso. I made the holes bigger(which required me to patch the armpit area) but it is still feels exactly the same, too tight. How do I fix this without having to start over? If it is possible.

so its the sleeves that feel tight up around the shoulder area..does the shoulder seam sit on your shoulder??? I have found that when doing sleeves...I make it so that the shoulder seam falls off the shoulder, like wear a shirt that is a size or 2 bigger than you wear...if you make the chest/bust area to small it will cause the sleeves to lay wrong...just a few ideas of the top of my head...

~Matt K.

Bring it to the event TJ and I'll look at it too and I or another of the Ohio sewers can probably tell you whats wrong and how to fix it. :)

Ok, I'll bring it. Btw yes it sits on the shoulder, so maybe that is the problem..I just doubt I can fix it without redoing the entire thing..

without having it to look at (and it sounds like you are going to get that taken care of locally) My first guesses are:
1) the arm hole isn't in the right place (to low or to high or just not shaped quite right) a re-cut Might fix that. but in this case it didn't from the general flavor of you frustration.
2) the body is to small across the back, chest or both. A fix is to patch in a large gusset from the neck of the garment to the hem in the center back and center front to give more room for the whole garment to move and not bind at the arm.

to small isn't a thing I see often, but I also do some sewing for Civil War nuts, and let me tell you those arm holes are tight to the arm and body. But if they are fitted right to the person they don't bind at all, you just have to get used to the bottom of the arm hole and sleeve being Right there and firm against your armpit.

but this doesn't sound like that.

curious to see what the issue is.

Mieka

if this is still a problem and you need to fix it, my recommendation to insert a gusset into the seam that goes down the length of arm and beomes/connects to the side seam. The easiest way I have found to do this is make two triangles, each about 3 inches at the base (it can be wider but most "tightness" can be solved with this amount). The two other sides can be as long as you like. I would keep them not more than 6-9 inches. You will open the seams described above and put one gusset into each, with the 3 inch sides meeting at the sleeve hole. Hope this is clear. If not, please ask for clarifications and I'll try my best.

well, er I went to the event, and it seems that I just need to take out the extra fabric on the shoulder, and make the sleave and chest hole bigger. Thanks for the advice though.

as long as it's a fixable.. but what a way to learn the lesson (wry smile)

wish I could have been more help..

Mieka

yeah.. just had one of my students get word that his family (military) is moving... so I'm loosing him and his brother and sewing students.

so kind of bummed that I'm not able to be "helpful" so much of this stuff works better in person...

am still glad your stuff got worked out.

Mieka

Back