Shield construction

Elandril

Greetings yet again. I have a question about shield construction. Ive followed the guidelines for the size and its not too big or heavy, but what about foam on the outside edge? will just a layer of pipe foam work?
Ill try to comment with a picture... I know the front needs foam but Im trying to get the edges first.

Snapshot_20140304.JPG
The bowl will be covered in full foam as well as the rest

Greetings yet again. I have a question about shield construction. Ive followed the guidelines for the size and its not too big or heavy, but what about foam on the outside edge? will just a layer of pipe foam work?
Ill try to comment with a picture... I know the front needs foam but Im trying to get the edges first.
Per the rulebook:

ARB v1.2 page 80 said:
All edges of the shield
must be padded with at least 5/8 inch thick pipe
insulation.

Chances are your shield will work with pipe foam around the edge. Just make sure it isn't too tightly taped. :)

sweet! And i was looking in the book, it doesnt say that the front needs foam... would the bowl need to be covered? im finding it more troublesome than i planned. The area around it is but would the bowl?

In my experience the front does not need to be foam. Here in the PNW I have seen metal shields that have passed safety by adding foam around the edges. I would worry more about your shield boss making it so you do not pass than the front being wooden.

(Disclaimer: I am neither a marshal or other rules person but I have build a lot of shields)

By adding the bowl onto the shield some may consider it to be adding to the overall surface area and max length/dimensions of the shield. If I were to measure it, I would tape measure it over the bowl when checking for max dimensions. However, I would recommend you check with your local chapter just to be 100% certain.

-Ryan

Back