Shields: what can and cannot interact with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TardiS

I've got a multipart questiion that boils down to: what can and cannot be on a shield (and still have it function for blocking) and what cannot.

I've seen the underarm tuck plenty and I'm under the impression that people do that because if the sword touched the shield it would cease to function correctly because it would be two 'weapons' in one hand?

I've seen battle magic scrolls (and tags) on shields, is this legal because they are in not weapons?

Can packets be mounted/held on a shield?

I've also seen thrown weapons lodged between players forearms and shields. Is this legal? How is that different than putting a sword there?

Thanks!

You can strap all kinds of stuff to the back of a shield, including between your forearm and shield (like a throwie). You can even do it with a dagger. Packets (of any type), potions, scrolls, magic items, etc are all fine when attached to the back of a shield.

If something is sticking out from behind a shield and gets hit, it's not part of the shield, so you take damage. For small things like throwing weapons (and occasionally even daggers) they can generally be completely within the silhouette of the shield and not be hit. Larger things that stick out are targets.

I assume that you mean the "Templar Tuck" when you say "the underarm tuck," which is a shield in the left (assuming a right handed person) hand and their sword tucked into their left armpit, generally so they can throw packets. In this case, if the sword is hit, they take damage, they're not wielding it.

~Matt
SEA/OR Marshal

PS. Here's a picture of the back of my shield. (No scrolls: Biata.)

Upvote 0
So you could put a holster for a sword on the back of your shield if you wanted to, but if anyone hit the sword rep the hit counts?

Upvote 0
That's a chapter call, but I would say 'No' for three reasons:
1) Having extra things poking out could be a safety issue, potentially. Even if your design isn't a problem for this, it sets a precedence for allowing it, which may be an issue in the future.
2) In practice, in the heat of combat, you aren't going to be able to track what hit your shield and what hit your sword attached to your shield. Even if you were "really, really good at it," someone else will want to do the same thing and be terrible at it, and I will never make a rule that says "It's ok for Bob to do X, but not Tom." It's bad business.
3) Another chapter will tell you "No," and then your rep isn't any good there, which is always disappointing. This one isn't as big a deal, but sometimes chapters will let something in that they're not really that comfortable with just because "Chapter Y let me do it!" and they don't want to be the bad guy, then regret letting it in later. The first two are the main reasons, though.

That's why I said 'sometimes a dagger' in my first post. That's the only thing I've ever seen strapped to the back of a shield that didn't stick out (and it had to be smaller than max size).

~Matt,
OR/SEA Marshal

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back