Snake-kin question.

Theo Zhounil

Artisan
Had a friend who wants to play his first event as a snake-kin. I know i've seen someone play one before at another event and wanted to know what they had gotten for racials for that particular race.

My friend wanted to try for resist binding and racial assassinate. I thought the assassinate might be too much but maybe not.

Thougths from others please, or perhaps an answer from that guy who i know already plays one?

Thanks alot.

Basically the racials of any scavenger (now wlyderkin) are suggested by the player and then verified/vetoed by the plot committee of the home chapter.

For a Snake-kin I think I could justify any of the following:

Racial Assassinate
Racial Dodge
Resist Binding
Resist Command
Resist Magic
Resist Poison

And of course, any others that you feel you can make a compelling argument for.

That would be SNAKE HEAD MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN. But I will let him answer for himself. I can see Resist Binding and Racial Assasinate being solid choices. I guess it depends on the type of snake he is playing.

For example.
Rattle Snake: Reisist Poison and Racial Assasinate (becuase it is ambush preditor that bites you poisons you lets you go and comes to get you when you are dead)

Side Winder: Racial Dodge and Resist Binding (because of the way they move virtually skipping across the sand)

Really as long as you provide well thought out justification for it anything is possible.

Half cost for scholarly skills because Sammy the Snake taught me all about the letter S on Sesame Street.

Or you could forgo racials and play a Eastern Hognose Snake however I don't think rolling over an playing dead every time you are threatend is probably not a good idea.... I however think it is funny.

Duke Frost said:
Half cost for scholarly skills because Sammy the Snake taught me all about the letter S on Sesame Street.

*Nelsonlaugh* Ha Ha, you're old! I know this because I, too, am afflicted of the eld, and I remember Ssssammy the Ssssnake. That was before the coming of the anti-christ, Elmo.

yes yes it was.... ahhhh memories. Mr Hooper was awsome

Maxondaerth said:
Duke Frost said:

*Nelsonlaugh* Ha Ha, you're old! I know this because I, too, am afflicted of the eld, and I remember Ssssammy the Ssssnake. That was before the coming of the anti-christ, Elmo.

I prefer the ringing aliens talking to the phones.

BTW, excuse my dumbarsenss here but can you get skill deductions for kin racial traits? Such as a Raccoon kin getting a -1 to all CO Skills?

If you were asking seriously, then I believe the answer is no. Like no scavenger race can get "half cost for archery" or some other race specific benefit that is not a "racial, or resist x".

David is correct. The answer is no. You can't get extra body either. Only skills that actually appear on the racial skill chart with a build cost.

Racial assasinate works, I woudl say resist binding is pretty good too actually. I never really got the whole I'm venemous therfore I get resist poison thing but its pretty standard for wildkin at this point to use that rational.

The final word is with your plot team but generally I have found that that if you have a good explanation for why it goes with that animal they allow it.

As has been stated by many people. If you can justify the reason for a racial you can probably get it. You should have him look into the type of snake he wants to be, and go from there. I cant really see resist binding racial assasinate being difficult for just about any type of snake.

I justified Gypsy Curse for my Raven. Anything is possible with a good concept and awesome plot peeps.

The racials ended up being Racial Assassinate and Resist Binding. I suppose that the racials could be changed in my post-1st-event rewrite, but I think I like them as is.

I have a second question now, and this is the thread for a snake-kin question. How could I safely add fangs to my half-mask? I suppose I'd want something soft, so that it doesn't stab my face, but elastic and durable, so that it doesn't easily get damaged. Being snake fangs, they would need to be as skinny as they could practically be made. Any ideas what material could work best?

How about latex? The celicerea (sp?) on my spider mask are slush-cast latex. They're flexible, you just have to make sure you don't get any airbubbles while casting them.

The word you are looking for is chelicerae (=mouth parts on an arachnid)

Ezri said:
The word you are looking for is chelicerae (=mouth parts on an arachnid)

The animal expert has spoken.

I always find great inspiration for character names by looking at the latin names for animals. I got the Gyps (hard "g") for my vulture scavvy from Gyps fulvous, the Griffon vulture. My Cuulanni (a people with quills in place of hair) was named Erethizon, which I got from the Order (?) that procucpines belong to, Erethizontidae. Even if you don't play a scavvy (er, Wylderkin), if you can get a feel for your character by equating his/her behavior to an animal you might find you name by searching for their latin names.

Hammerfist said:
Or you could forgo racials and play a Eastern Hognose Snake however I don't think rolling over an playing dead every time you are threatend is probably not a good idea.... I however think it is funny.

I don't know about every time, but Shin's gotten out of more bad situations than I care to mention by knowing when to eat dirt until they turn their backs. :D

Back