Some advice

Kauss

Fighter
Just some advice and warning to all in the town. The nighthag has the power to rift spiders through the protections of the town, this means that we have spider problems again as well as all the other problems. Do not travel alone, even if its just a short distance. Always be at least lightly armed, and try to be aware of where you, and others near you are.
If you need help, clearly call for help, and if you can, a location. The faster someone can tell where you are, the faster your help can arrive.

Along these lines, Johnathan and I will be patrolling known inhabited buildings in town nightly (and probably separately) so my advice is if you're used to staying in some of the outlying buildings, move in and occupy any of the recently vacated ones closer to the Earth guild to make it easier for us to track each other. Also, as you renew your Wards I recommend seeking one or both of us out to be invested in there with you so that you don't end up needing to pass us through on a rescue, we can get the Life spells to you even if that's all that remains to be done.

Two conceivable problems:

1 - My understanding was that a proscribe was created. To my knowledge, the effects of such a ritual require that the creature that is proscribed against it must immediately seek to leave the circle by the shortest route possible, and not engage in combat in any way.

2 - I thought we killed the Night Hag?

Given the above, wouldn't it be more reasonable to assume that the protections that were once in place are no longer functioning?

Also, Solomon,

Last month, for some reason the Earth Guild's circle decided to up and move to a region almost directly next to where the House Zodiac was located. Which location were you refer to, the old one, or the new one? And, unless things have decided to further up and change, if you meant the old one, to my knowledge, the other homes nearby are occupied by Zodiac, Shikar's Guild, and the Laetshi.

Apparently someone of more than decent power out there decided that, since the flue was stuck on the chiminy and we couldn't have a fire to keep warm, that they'd up and move things. I suspect that, if the chiminy's been fixed by now, it'll be moved right back.

jpariury said:
Two conceivable problems:

1 - My understanding was that a proscribe was created. To my knowledge, the effects of such a ritual require that the creature that is proscribed against it must immediately seek to leave the circle by the shortest route possible, and not engage in combat in any way.

2 - I thought we killed the Night Hag?

Given the above, wouldn't it be more reasonable to assume that the protections that were once in place are no longer functioning?
The nighthag is preseumed to be alive again, and not perminently killed. And the circle that keeps the spiders out, is in many ways like a perscribe, but isnt one. If you can pass the edge of it, you can stay in it (if your a spider) hence how the phase spiders have been doing it. Apprently the barrier still works, but people know of the nighthag rifting spiders through it.

Kauss said:
The nighthag is preseumed to be alive again, and not perminently killed. And the circle that keeps the spiders out, is in many ways like a perscribe, but isnt one. If you can pass the edge of it, you can stay in it (if your a spider) hence how the phase spiders have been doing it. Apprently the barrier still works, but people know of the nighthag rifting spiders through it.
If you are truly worried about rifting spiders and what not in a building, I suggest you find a local trap maker. A room full of spiders and mists are easily overcome with just a gold or two in supplies and traps. Particularly with the spiders, make sure you also give a good yell if you become webbed by them.

~Balryn

Kauss said:

How have you ascertained the nature of the ritual used, and its current state? Not in any way trying to be insulting, but when I want information on the geology of the Zorost Mountains, I don't ask wizards, if you understand my meaning.

Any new formal magic, though, sounds interesting. Any information you can provide on its reagent and catalyst use, the difficulties in casting such, and other pertinent information would be most appreciated. Maybe that, and reasoning on why the town chose to use an inferior spell like this new one, rather than a Proscribe.

Yeah, that was kinda wierd. I suggest anyone drifting into town that's gonna stay the night, find Slice. She told me she and her militia were already hearding folks into a tighter, more easily defensible area. She'd be the one to get directions on what areas to concentrate in. I was just kinda getting it into the grape vine.

Gregor,

As to the movement of the earth guild I think you were a little turned around. We moved, the earth guild did not. Although we have been in the same house so long, I don't blame you for the confusion. Either way though, now that our house is no longer "occupied", we will most likely be moving back, leaving the home closest to the earth guild open to occupants. Secondly, I believe I have all the information written down about the ritual done to put up the proscribe, so I will double check and let you know what I find. As for pushing spiders out of the circle, I don't think that occured when we put the circle up. I believe we still had to clear the inside area, but it has been awhile.
Others,
I would be more then happy to assist people in finding close and decently secure places to stay when they arrive. My biggest request is that you do not stay alone, and when in your home, be prepared for an assualt which can rift through your ward. A large number of people were attacked, and one was killed, because they were alone in their cabin at night/early morning. My recommendations, make sure you are in pairs (at least) at all times, or if this is inconvienent for you, set traps, put up seperate wards within the cabin, put up a temporary cirlce, or just be prepared to kick some major spider ***. Either way, travel with others especially at night, and sleep lightly.

SLICE

Slice said:
My recommendations, make sure you are in pairs (at least) at all times, or if this is inconvienent for you, set traps, put up seperate wards within the cabin, put up a temporary cirlce, or just be prepared to kick some major spider ***. Either way, travel with others especially at night, and sleep lightly.

SLICE
I would simply say... Ambush them. Things appearing next to you don't have to catch you off guard. In fact when something materializes near you, there are several seconds where they are the ones left off guard. Utilize those seconds to your advantage. Even if you sleep alone, waking quickly and getting out is possible before they fully materialize and can harm you.

Balryn

Slice said:
As to the movement of the earth guild I think you were a little turned around. We moved, the earth guild did not.

No, actually, I walked to the building directly across from the Laetshi building and the Earth Circle wasn't there. Instead it was really really really close to where your old house was. Don't worry, though, Deira cleared up why it moved. Apparently it was cold. Which makes sense in a town where people have houses that sometimes bite their inhabitants.

Either way though, now that our house is no longer "occupied", we will most likely be moving back, leaving the home closest to the earth guild open to occupants.

Sounds good. I'll be in that place that I was that one time when the thing was happening with you-know-who. (Get out your decoder rings for that one, kids, cuz I ain't talkin' about my plans so publicly)

Secondly, I believe I have all the information written down about the ritual done to put up the proscribe, so I will double check and let you know what I find.

Awesome possum.

As for pushing spiders out of the circle, I don't think that occured when we put the circle up. I believe we still had to clear the inside area, but it has been awhile.

That's okay, I don't even think I was alive around that time, so I have no clue. Back to my other question though, since you were around: Why did you guys use such a lame ritual, given that Proscribe is much more effective? I mean, based on other events and happenings, there have been a great many Proscribe scrolls in the region.

For that matter, were spiders so much more a threat than, say, undead, or trolls, or bugbears, or finfolk, that such a ritual, weak as it may be, was used on them instead?

Since we have a few questions.

The ritual used to keep the spiders out of town killed all the ones inside it when it was put back up. It is aprently much older than the proscribe ritual, and has some diffrences. One may be the fact that it has an radius of 3 miles. I dont know how large a normal proscribe can be. My information comes from A) I helped find the old ritual and was there then it was put back up. B) the magistratum put it back up the first time, and have told me some of what they know about the ritual. In addition when I was visiting them recently, I also was informed that the nighthag was rifting spiders into the protected area.

Also, since I know it was asked, if anyone wants to know exactly where the old razor grass/weed field was found, since I have been in that area now. It is barren and nothing grows there anymore.

jpariury said:
No, actually, I walked to the building directly across from the Laetshi building and the Earth Circle wasn't there. Instead it was really really really close to where your old house was. Don't worry, though, Deira cleared up why it moved. Apparently it was cold. Which makes sense in a town where people have houses that sometimes bite their inhabitants.

Well, I certainly appreciated the move. Not having sick people getting sicker is always a plus.

jpariury said:
Back to my other question though, since you were around: Why did you guys use such a lame ritual, given that Proscribe is much more effective? I mean, based on other events and happenings, there have been a great many Proscribe scrolls in the region.

For that matter, were spiders so much more a threat than, say, undead, or trolls, or bugbears, or finfolk, that such a ritual, weak as it may be, was used on them instead?

You know, thats a good question, the first part anyway. I guess it kind of comes down to what you said to kauss earlier, he's not a wizard, so if your going to do wizardy things don't ask the dwarven merchant and the Slice if the ritual is the best way to get the job done. I was informed it would keep out the spiders over a 3 mile radius and I went, sweet. The end. As for why spiders, at the time they were a much larger threat then anything else. They were really bad, and were only getting worse. When spiders 4 times the size of the inn start showing up and deciding you look tasty its time to find a spider repelent. So we did.

Kauss said:
My information comes from A) I helped find the old ritual and was there then it was put back up. B) the magistratum put it back up the first time, and have told me some of what they know about the ritual. In addition when I was visiting them recently, I also was informed that the nighthag was rifting spiders into the protected area.

If possible, could you delineate which bits of information come from which source? I'm having rectifying the reliability of the information with its potential sources.

For example, I would agree that the spiders were rifting into the region that was considered to be off-limits to spiders. However, the idea that the Night Hag was responsible for the rifting runs counter to how that ability works. Rifting is a personal ability, not something that you do to others. While others can be included in the rift, it still requires the individual to be included in the rifting. (Lest anyone ask, I have, in my extended past, possessed the ability to rift, thus my knowledge comes from firsthand experience with the procedure.) As the Night Hag was not part of the rifting process of those that attacked us during our attack on her, we can thus conclude that the spiders rifted to our specific location under their own power. This doesn't actually answer the question of whether or not the pseudo-proscribe is still currently in effect.

So, what you've listed as sources are as follows:

1) You helped recover the scroll.
2) You were present when it was put up.
3) The Magistratum told you. Caveat - The Magistratum did not tell you everything they are aware of involving the ritual.

Now, as bits of information surrounding the ritual, here is the information you've given:

1) The pseudo-proscribe didn't extend from the circle in which it it was cast, rather, it apparently rose like a fence out of the "ground".

2) The Night Hag rifted the spiders in.

3) "The magistratum put it back up the first time."

4) The ritual is a really old one, so, the magic just works that way.

5) The ritual was used because it was suggested.

6) The ritual is still in effect. (This is inferred from statements made, rather than an overt statement on anyone's part)

Which source from the prior list is responsible for which items on the latter?

With regards to the statements made:

1) Did it rise like a fence, a dome, or a globe? What are the complete dimensions? If the ritual is "shell-like" in nature, rather than "aura-ish", what prevents a creature capable of rifting itself from simply bypassing the shell? What is the thickness of the shell or fence?

2) This runs counter to how the ability works. Given that the source you initially identified, I'd have to pass that off as either miscommunication, or else your source is less than reliable in this matter.

3) I'm trying hard not to get nitpicky on the language, but i want to be sure that I understand your intent. Dreams being the fickle things that they are, I'd rather avoid confusion if possible. The magistratum put it up the first time, or it was up once, and then they put it back up, and then it failed again, and someone else put it back up a second time? How many times has the ritual been put up?

4) This one doesn't make any sense either. Almost all of my artificed magics, both internal and external, have been rendered useless in the world of Fortannis. Ancient rituals that existed prior to the splitting of the worlds into Fortannis and Tyrra simply don't work. For instance, if the arguement were to hold weight, I should still be able to Fire Shield myself. Likewise, everytime the power of the universe that is magic is altered, anything that did exist shifts into a comparable new form. For instance, fire shield and ice shield, both spells with which I am sure all of the elder races are familiar, became elemental shield. When it happened, it happened to everyone everywhere, period. This occurred with everything from scrolls written by grand dragons and shadow mages to simple things like vorpal coatings.

5) I'd be very interested in knowing the source here. I'm not blaming anyone, except maybe the people who should have known better and spoken up, you make with what you can, obviously, but given that proscribes clearly were plentiful at one time, and this scroll apparently required some great amount of questing, I think there may be much more at work there than meets the eye. As we all know, nothing in Iyave is ever simple, and people familiar with the territory often take advantage of those who are not for reasons that pass common understanding.

6) This one would also be interesting to know the source of. I'm sure Derek would be able to see it, but I'm not sure how many of his kind are around that we can trust.

Some other questions that plague me, and I thank whomever can answer the knowledgably by experience or study in advance and so indulges my curiosity:

How many and what components were used in the casting? Did it require a catalyst? Verbatim wording of the scroll would be great, if anyone with the ability to read them has a handle on that. What was its duration? Did it require any extension rituals? What aspect was the ritual? Was it spellcraftable? Who did the casting? How difficult was it? Did the caster utilize any assistants?

You have a lot of questions Gregor, and most of them are hard to answer here and now, some I cant answer. However what you can do is ask the Magistratum. They have a copy of the scroll I think, and were the ones to cast it most recently. They should be able to tell you exactly what it does.

As to the nighthag rifting, thats what I was told, by a representative of the Magistratum. I was told that the Nighthag was rifting spiders past the protection. I dont know if she is pullng them in some way, or grabbing them and rifting herself. The point is, she is making so that spiders other than phase spiders can come into town and eat us. No matter how she is doing it, killing her should help slow the prossess down.

jpariury said:
Did the caster utilize any assistants?
I wasn't there Gregor... however we could just put up a proscribe and it would be easier for me to understand. Unfortunatley Derek and Kerjal will not be in the area, however we could hit a few cabins with one with sufficent casters.

~Balryn

Kauss said:
The point is, she is making so that spiders other than phase spiders can come into town and eat us. No matter how she is doing it, killing her should help slow the prossess down.
The nighthag has got to have better things to do than pull spiders from another place and send them against us... it just doesn't make sense that she would choose to rift in such worthless little critters. I mean really, if you could rift something into your opponents homes- wouldn't it be something like a death knight or a greater elemental? Why would you bother with wasting so much power to rift creatures in that are so easilly killed?

Seeing what I did of the night hag a month ago... I'm rather happy that for whatever reason she is choosing such pathetic little creaturest to send in against us. Whatever realm she was birthed from, apparently she considers "spiders" to invoke some fear in us?

I watched a few fellow adventurers smack her upside the head when she was last seen, perhaps we should just keep whacking her minions and see when she realizes her all mighty powers are simply frustrating us rather than causing fear...

I doubt she'll come around after the beating we gave her last time. Maybe this is her version of sending us angry mail through the messenger service.

Aside from that, I would think the Magistratum needs to be more forthcoming with information regarding the safety of the realm. For such a lofty organization they are so shrouded in myth and mist... if they continue to act like they have and withhold vital information throughout the conflict in their own best interests they will surely be charged with crimes of treason against Dagliano and the Diadem.

~Balryn

Balryn said:
Aside from that, I would think the Magistratum needs to be more forthcoming with information regarding the safety of the realm. For such a lofty organization they are so shrouded in myth and mist... if they continue to act like they have and withhold vital information throughout the conflict in their own best interests they will surely be charged with crimes of treason against Dagliano and the Diadem.

~Balryn
On the matter of the Magistratum, who exactly has been asking them for information? I have found whenever I need to visit then that they have been rather forthcoming with information, as long as I talk to someone who would know things. (And not one of the members who never sees the light of day.) Since I havent had any problem, I am curious if there may just be some confusion.

Back