Some clarification

Theo Zhounil

Artisan
Hoping we will see some rules layed down for the LCO by voice abilities. I don't know what to use against them because it isn't in the book.

Usually Resists, Cloaks, and Banes against the effect type will work, as does being in a Prison. Dom?

Joe Siegel

Id agree. I'd also say u can dodge it...but how does say los spells work? Is it from the npc whom yells it out?

"By voice" abilities are for all intensive purposes voice delivered spells with an area of effect equal to the range of the voice.
Voice range is defined by the distance at which you would be able to hear the caster clearly. Essentially, if you can make out what was yelled, you are in the effect area.

Being that this is not a weapon or packet delivered attack, applicable defenses are a bit different.
  • Dodge is an invalid defense (you can't dodge a voice)
  • Spell Parry is an invalid defense (you can't parry a voice)
  • All other defensives apply. Spell Shield, Reflect Magic, Elemental Shield, Poison Shield (it could happen) Cloak, Bane, Resist, Guard. I'm pretty sure that's all of them.
  • Being in a Prison would make you No Effect to all "by voice" abilities.

With LoS abilities such as Fear, the caster is who you would need to break LoS with.

I apologize if this was not made known. By voice is one of the ones that are used so frequently across chapters that I forget it is not a rulebook delivery. I will also bring it up at opening ceremonies at our next event. Thank you Mike for bringing it up.

Edit: By voice is actually covered in the rule book on page 97 under Radius

Radius: Radius deliveries include traps,
contact poisons, and monster abilities such as
eye contact or sound of voice. Usually a Hold
is called when a radius attack takes place and
everyone partially within the radius is affected.
Radius attacks can never be Dodged or Evaded.

Last edited:
Follow up question. If I am on another side of a building and hear the by voice command but can't see who the caster is how am I affected as far as LoS goes?

What's LoS when its a marshal that yells it (happened at last seasons closer)?
Also how can spell shield and a cloak work but not spell parry?
SPELL PARRY:This ritual allows the wielder of the weapon the ritual is cast upon to use a parry (if they may parry with the weapon) to Cloak any one magical effect that would normally affect them.

First off, very sorry for not responding to these sooner. I don't check these boards very often. I'll be putting out better information for contacting me in another post for when people have questions.

Follow up question. If I am on another side of a building and hear the by voice command but can't see who the caster is how am I affected as far as LoS goes?

By voice is is a radius effect with the radius being "the ability to hear the call" Obstructions such as buildings will not stop a "by voice" call. LoS has no bearing on a radius effect.

What's LoS when its a marshal that yells it (happened at last seasons closer)?
Also how can spell shield and a cloak work but not spell parry?
SPELL PARRY:This ritual allows the wielder of the weapon the ritual is cast upon to use a parry (if they may parry with the weapon) to Cloak any one magical effect that would normally affect them.

Dave, after looking at the wording for the Spell Parry scroll, you are correct. As per the scroll a Spell Parry works exactly as a Cloak: Magic would and therefore can be used to defend against an applicable "by voice" call.

Back