Spell Packets

I don't own a current rulebook, but I want to make some spell packets to donate to my local chapter. Can anyone tell me the relevant rules for their creation? From memory, there was a mention that they should fit in a film canister. Is that right? Are there any other relevant rules or pointers on how to make them?

Ideally, someone could tell me the perfect sized square of fabric and perfect amount of birdseed to use to make the perfect packet. Has anyone come up with such a recipe for packet perfection?

Thanks!

-Joe W.

Does anyone in this day and age actually remember how large a film canister is? ;)

The cloth should be about 6" squared. The bird seed should be one ounce and no corn, rice, or sunflower seeds. Fitted with a simple rubberband. the packet should have weight, but not be hard. Don't over pack the birdseed. Hope this helps.

An ounce? That sounds painful. Naw, the secret to true packet perfection is 4.3"x 4.3" with about two tablespoons of Family Farm and Fleet brand cherries and apple birdseed (no corn or sunflower seeds) tied with one of those little rubber bands you use for cornrows.

Hope it helps,

~Jesse

I was giving the book specs... not a personal recipe.

I know it. I was just saying which ones I use. The only other thing I can think of is don't use any fabric that frays real heavy. When I'm fishing around for an arrow packet in the dark and just find a spell packet that's unraveling!

I recommend using fabric that can be easily spotted in the woods. My first mistake when I was a noob was making red packets ... and I am red/green colorblind, so I had to ask others to help me find my packets!

6" square, half a film canister of bird seed, small rubberbands (never the thick ones).
Do it right, and they'll always fit into the film canister when you're done.

Nothing large, sharp, or hard in the seed. I personally buy a big bag of generic seed (which usually has sunflower seeds) and run it through a custom colander. (A regular colander lets small sunflower seeds through. My custom one is a piece of tupperware with holes drilled in it.) It takes out all the big stuff, no picking through seeds.

~Matt, WCV

If you go to a feed or outdoor supply store- sometimes even Walmart in their garden section- you can buy "Millet" which is the small round seeds by themselves. Its amazingly inexpensive. Food stores also carry it in the bulk section as you can cook with millet-- but its more expensive for human-food-grade. Anywhere that carries a selection of bird feeds or bird seed will probably have White Millet or be able to order them from their suppliers cheap.

mikestrauss said:
Actually, I do know of something roughly the size of a film canister (internal size). A shot glass.

-MS

And oh, how this information has benefited me through-out my college career. :D

Thanks for all of the thoughts (including the shot glass ref). Hopefully I don't hit the shot glass before taking out a sharp implement to cut the fabric, lest I need to summon my local healer ;-)

One more question--is an arrow packet just a normal packet with a green streamer? Does the packet have to be green, or just the streamer? How long does the streamer have to be? What works best to make the streamers?

Thanks again!

-Joe W.

Wait, what? I've seen arrows as just a regular spell packet with a ribbon on it. Never heard of it actually having to be a certain color. Did I overlook something in the rulebook?

~Jesse, the also colorblind.

I am not sure what the current rule is. In the old days when they ditched actual bows and arrows, we had to use green packets with green streamers. I have no idea what the current rule is.

Hope I didn't cause any confusion.

Any color packet (except orange), any color streamer.
Streamers must be 12" long, packet to tip (so don't cut them 12" long, or they'll be too short when you tie them).
~Matt, WCV

Back