Spell Scrolls

Tanuki

Anybody know why, out of 43 Celestial spells, only 29 can be scribed? Or is this another thing where I'm completely missing something obvious?

Hi!

There are a couple reasons:

• Level 9 spells cannot be made into Potion/Scroll form. That takes five Celestial spells out.
  • Solidify isn't available as a scroll because it was intended to be used as a good reason to have a Celestial caster along when fighting Vampires (who can go Gaseous)
  • Confine is excluded because the creators of the game envisioned it being a more powerful version of Web and therefore not within their vision of being an available spell on a scroll
  • I don't have a good reason for Subjugate, Charm, Banish, or Fortress being excluded other than they were probably missed in the last iteration of the rules when those spells were added
  • I don't have a good reason for Elemental Blade or Magic Blade being excluded other than possibly a balancing factor against Earth Blade also only being available via memorization (this feels like a flimsy excuse)
  • I don't have a good reason why Enflame is excluded either

All in all, there really aren't many good reasons beyond the exclusion of L9 spells.

Charm is excluded because it used to be Dominate, which (like Poison Shield) was left off to make Alchemy cooler.

Subjugate, Banish, and Solidify exist so that people have to bring celestial casters on things rather than just scroll all of the situationally useful stuff.

Elemental Blade and Magic Blade (and Earth/Chaos Blade) were removed because there are other vectors for obtaining the results:
1 - get a magic item that does that
1b - get the ritual version spellcrafted on
2 - High magic it on yourself

Back