Spirit Recall and Rift

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpariury

Duke
When Rifting out of a location, I am given to understand that choosing to use smart defenses stops the rifting out and burns that use of rift (if there are a limited number of uses). I am further given to understand that dumb defenses do not, and taking an effect does not (though you will still need to resolve the effect as per normal once you come back into play where ever you rifted to - i.e. you may be Dead, Confined [though out of LOS], or whatnot). Is that accurate?

Conversely, when Rifting in, does using a smart defense expend that use of rift and stop the creature/character from entering play at that point?

It has been clarified that the intent of the new Spirit Recall scroll is that so long as you can move your neck, you may activate it (though no statement of "Activate Spirit Recall" is needed - you simply begin your three-count). Once a Spirit Recall has been initiated, can anything interrupt it's completion, leaving the character where they were to begin with but with the recall having been expended? (Smart defenses, dumb defenses, taking an effect.)

jpariury said:
When Rifting out of a location, I am given to understand that choosing to use smart defenses stops the rifting out and burns that use of rift (if there are a limited number of uses). I am further given to understand that dumb defenses do not, and taking an effect does not (though you will still need to resolve the effect as per normal once you come back into play where ever you rifted to - i.e. you may be Dead, Confined [though out of LOS], or whatnot). Is that accurate?

Conversely, when Rifting in[/i], does using a smart defense expend that use of rift and stop the creature/character from entering play at that point?

It has been clarified that the intent of the new Spirit Recall scroll is that so long as you can move your neck, you may activate it (though no statement of "Activate Spirit Recall" is needed - you simply begin your three-count). Once a Spirit Recall has been initiated, can anything interrupt it's completion, leaving the character where they were to begin with but with the recall having been expended? (Smart defenses, dumb defenses, taking an effect.)

This post is to inform you that your question is currently being discussed by the ARC and once some clarification has been made will be posted here. Depending on the level of clarification and discussion (and potential involvement of the Owners or other national staff, if needed) this may take time

In addition, as per the intent of this forum, please try to keep questions to one per topic or at least related questions within the same topic. Multiple unrelated questions in one topic will result in a longer time before any of them get answered.

After discussion with the Ritual Committee, the following clarification should cover your Spirit Recall question (as well as the Rift question):

A Spirit Recall should be treated like a self rift. You need to be conscious, able to make decisions, and not be completely immobilized (sleeping, dead, prisoned and paralysis are no, binding effects, laughed or drained are a yes, for some examples) and like a Rift it can be interrupted via the same methods. The intent is to treat it as a PC rift.

This can be summarized as Spirit Recall following the activation rules of a Magic Item, with additional constraints that it can be interrupted just like Rifting.

-Bryan Gregory
ARC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back