Stuff you want, but can't find

FrankManic

Artisan
What is that one piece of gear you've always wanted, but can't find or afford? I've just started making leather goods to sell, and I'm wondering what people really want.

I want a leather backpack... .I had one years ago but it started to tear up and become more of a liability than anything else.

I would pay for that.

Any special kind? One strap, two straps? A historical soldiers haversack? A modern daypack? I could start working on a design, see if it's feasible to make a good, durable pack at a reasonable price.

markusdark said:
An insulated wooden keg that could hold/use a 2 liter bottle of soda.

One of these days, I'll make one...

Great, now I have one mentally designed...
Now for some time in the garage...

Look online for the Fizz Saver or Fizz it up - basically do a google for "2 liter soda dispenser" and you'll find a couple of gadgets that will handle the whole pouring thing. You just needta design something to go around it and keep it cold. If I wasn't so anal about looks, I could easily put a box around it. But learning coopering so that my barrel looks good is what's keeping me up at nights. :)

Angrydurf said:
Just cast a 2 piece foam cover it'll help insulate too. Well within your skills no coopering required :)

Oh, I plan on casting the foam inside for insulation, but if I'm going to do this, I'm going to go all the way and make it a wooden barrel.

Of course, I could make the molds, pour them in hi-desity foam and sell them to people.... hmmm....

Realism for myself or Cha-CHING for everyone else?

Larping is a wonderful way to learn skills you didn't know you didn't know. I swear, we're going to be the only one's left after the apocalypse, sitting pretty brewing beer, making AK-47s out of duct tape and rocks, and making everyone else refer to us by our noble titles just because we can.

FrankManic said:
Larping is a wonderful way to learn skills you didn't know you didn't know. I swear, we're going to be the only one's left after the apocalypse, sitting pretty brewing beer, making AK-47s out of duct tape and rocks, and making everyone else refer to us by our noble titles just because we can.

Sorry. The SCA will kick our non-bruised butts.

honestly and unfortunately I think the best we could really hope for is to peddle our skills for protection from the crazies stockpileing guns and ammo for such an eventuality.

on the other hand certain SCAdians think otherwise

SERIOUS STEEL

OH! The bombs went up and the crunch came down
in the middle of Pennsic War
It left us stranded in Cooper's field
ten thousand souls and more
We had nothing with us but what we brought
our cars and camping gear
And our arms and armor, tools and skills
we had worked on all that year.

Chorus: Dress your ranks, lift your pikes, tight as the teeth of a comb
Rattling, clanking down the road, the war is going home

So a truce was called, and a council held
and we argued all that night
Then we all set off in a caravan
in the early morning light
We had tipped our arrows and pikes with steel
and were armored everyone
Our swords and bows hung ready to hand
for the time of rattan was done

The very first town that we came to
we stopped for fuel and food
The gasman said they had none to sell
the cops were worse than rude
They drew their guns, we drew our bows
they fired, we won the day
For their backup radios all were dead
and shortly so were they!

The very next town that we came to
they had no fuel at all
The mechanic said he could change our cars
to run on alcohol
But ten thousand cars would take as long
as to grow a crop of grain
So we made a deal and moved on out
in a horse drawn wagon train

The very third town that we came to
the rulers had gone bad
The cops tried to enslave us all
and steal what all we had
Our armor proved half bullet proof
our weapons worked as well
The townsfolk afterward thanked us all
for freeing them from hell

So! Town by town we worked our way
just to take our people home
The legends that we left behind
it seems would rival Rome
For now the folk come seeking us
for to take their dangers on
To be their teachers and champions
in a world where law is gone

How can we not take up the steel
for to serve our peoples needs
How can we leave our land to fall
to any bandits spree
When we have the skill to save our folk
from what ever evil thrives
And admit the truth this is the chance
we've hoped for all our lives

SO! Dress your ranks, lift your pikes, tight as the teeth of a comb
Rattling, clanking down the road....
Dressed in leather and steel and woad
All too aware of history's load
The war is going ho~~o~~ome
The war is coming home!

S.M. Stirling wrote a couple of good trilogies on roughly that premise. What if, for no readily apparent reason, all electronical and high energy chemical systems stopped working, but everything else stayed pretty much the same? Answer? Apparently the SCA would switch out their sticks for swords and conquer.

Back on topic....

I notice you all tend to carry your boffers when you're not using them. Who wants boffer strap/frogs/scabbards!

I love frogs and straps but the problem with most is that you cant really get your weapon out quickly enough to matter hence I dont always use my frogs/belts/straps.

AllianceCHI said:
I love frogs and straps but the problem with most is that you cant really get your weapon out quickly enough to matter hence I dont always use my frogs/belts/straps.

Ahah! What's that you say? Can't draw your weapon in time to block that incoming halberd! Not anymore! New and improved boffer frogs, with snaps and a big darn pull flap so you can free your weapon in a jiffy!

Yeah, I ran into this problem last weekend. I'm prototyping a couple of different quick draw rigs at the moment.

let me know when you've got one that works for you I might be interested in a purchase.

Paul :p

Might I suggest magnets instead of snaps? Get those that you can find on purses at a thrift store and they come apart much easier than either snaps or velcro.

AllianceCHI said:
I want a leather backpack... .I had one years ago but it started to tear up and become more of a liability than anything else.

I would pay for that.
I bought a black leather rucksack/backpack from Oregon Leather 9 years ago for $150, and have used it for everything: NERO, Alliance, travel, school, work. I've carried picnics, laptops, all manner of stuff in it, and it's held up great.

I'm looking for a leather pouch, either with a strap or for a belt. Also, I'm looking for a cloak, and I'm looking for cheap boots that look somewhat in-period.

Back