Teaching Confusion

wolfan

I am confused about teaching. The rulebook says that you don't need to be taught again if you are just learning a new rank in a skill such as Alchemy.Then it gives the example of a person who doesn't need to be taught again to learn /another/ 3rd level spell. But someone else wants to learn their first proficiency, they would need to be taught that ability.

Now, I just played my first Alliance event and I got training IG for some skills I wanted but not for new levels of spells, (I'm an earth scholar) does that mean that this event that I am not going to be able to buy a 4th level slot? Or does that count as more of Earth Spells? I originally was thinking that I could just keep buying spell slots without issue, but upon rereading it I was confused, so now I'm afraid that next event I may have to not spend all my build and find training in 4th level Earth.

Also, does one need to be taught to teach? One of my teammates wants the skill, and I have it, do I have to use one of my teach's that day for him to learn it?

You do need to be taught the skill teacher in order to teach others, yes.

You need to be taught each level of magic, but not each slot. So if you have already been taught level 3 earth for example, you can buy as many of those slots as you like (adhering tot he rules of the spell pyramid system), but if you have not been taught level 4 earth, you can not buy any of those slots.

If however, this was your first event and first character, you have the option of completely rewriting it (keeping your build). If you like your character, you could simply rewrite it so that you start with the level 4 spell you failed to get teaching in. After all, the rule is there to help people who mess something up on their first time, recognizing how confusing it can be ;)

Back