Technology for Chronicling

Klandaghi

I would imagine that this comes up from time to time, but not sure I've seen a ruling on it. Are there any hard fast rules on recording video and the like?
I don't think I'll be ready in time for this event, but in future events, would there be an issue with securing a GoPro camera to say my chest region, would
that dock points of armor? If I could conceal it in the armor would that be an issue? They are rather rugged little things and I'm getting one from working
at my current job for the past 5 years. I'd like to see how it does, but would rather ask the question now then assume an agreeable answer later.

Thanks,
Klandaghi

I think this would make me uncomfortable for a few reasons:

1. It's one thing to whip out a camera to take a few stills during downtime, hopefully in a manner that is not intrusive or disruptive. I'd find rolling video more likely to disrupt the action.

2. I don't mind still photos of me appearing on Facebook, etc., although I always hope that other LARPers will allow their fellow players the courtesy to tag ourselves. Some people don't want their LARP photos tagged for coworkers and all the world to see. Video, again, involves an entirely different level of trust about my privacy. I would not feel comfortable with video of me out on the Internet somewhere.

3. Still photos are unlikely to capture my seekrit in-game conspiracies. I'm not comfortable with my roleplay being caught on video. How am I going to go behind my Baron's back to cut seekrit deals with the liche if I could be videotaped at any time? :ninja:

4. I could not possibly take you seriously with a camera strapped to your chest. I'd feel very self-conscious. I'd giggle. I'd probably avoid you. That would itself feel very disruptive to me.

All that being said, I certainly wouldn't mind if the game announced, preferably in advance, that it planned to video tape a field battle or a special court ceremony or something for marketing purposes. Advance notice and coordination with the game staff to minimize disruption are key elements shaping my opinion and consent there.

Thanks for asking, and I hope that I provide no offense with the straightforward delivery of my opinions here.

Trace Moriarty

I personally do not have a issue with videos of the game, thou i definitely think that is one of those things that everyone (which appears is not) would have to agree on.
Thou i do think it was very nice to ask ahead of time and not offend anyone :)

As an ex member of the media, my .02 -

In general asking permission is preferred for taking any recordings or still of individuals. I for one ******* LOVE pictures of myself in character, but as Trace said - I prefer not to get tagged in them for FB (my coworkers already think I'm weird). I love IC pics for use in brochures, wikis, etc. Video on the other hand I'm good with as long as I know it's going on.

I can't tell you how many times I've recorded people in things accidentally and gotten a shitstorm for it. (Unless there is a written consent form or a properly posted sign you generally do not have permission to use anyone eases likeness.)

Video taping a battle asking people to participate? Win.
Video taping a scene (with good lighting for the love of God) with everyone's consent? Win.

Taping someone in costume w/o their consent and you later tag them on yourtube and find out they're a pre-school teacher in a short skirt and they get fired over it? (names removed to protect all involved). Fail.

We enjoy each other's company in game and socially - doesn't mean we all know what everyone does of a living (moms, dads, teachers, lawyers, doctors, strippers, or public figures) so it's always best to ask! (most folks are okay with it. My rule of thumb is to ask at opening announcements tbh.

-Jules

Sounds good. Coming from a subculture like the furry fandom, I understand these concerns oh too well. That was part of the
reason for asking here, though I never mentioned that in the original post. Glad that it's all covered here and you have all
the bullets dead on for how we treat our fandom. For the convention, you can video and take pictures for personal use, no
tagging without consent, no posting video without consent, and no going to the media with it. If you want to go to the media
you must agree to the conventions media guide which states we have first right of refusal on using our footage based on
desired broadcast. Blah blah, more legalize than most people want to go into. I got yelled at initially for wanting to define
the term recording as "Any method used to capture a moment to be perceived by any of the senses at a later time."

I think the long and skinny of it all is, please no video. I've not had a GoPro before and my desire for hte video was to actually
be able to grab stills from the frames so we don't have to recapture or pause a moment, but have it as it occurred originally.
As to not be insensitive and I don't think I can get a waiver from everyone, I think I will leave the GoPro at home, or in my
cabin for "person logs" as they were unless requested otherwise. I noticed the waiver we sign states clearly that for the
organization's purposes, you are allowing your likeness to be recorded, unless you submit a form requesting otherwise. Being
as I am not officially affiliated, I know that being able to record does NOT apply to me. It's good to know where everyone
stands on it though.

Thanks for your responses and input. If anyone else wants to chime in with their thoughts I'd love to hear it. :rockon:
Catch you later all,
Klandaghi

WHat Trace said is dead on.

If you want to bring a regular camera, wear a white head band, and take still shots/action shots, I am all for it so we can use them as promotional tools, but that's pretty much it.

One day, I might schedule something where we video something epic and scripted to show at cons and things, but let's get teh game up and moving forward first. :)

Jesse

Klandaghi said:
I think I will leave the GoPro at home

I love the GoPro. Iv'e seen some larps do some really fun music videos with them (combat to music basically).

Maybe one day there might be a mod that's "Video recording ready"

-Jules

Back