Thank you

To the people of the Deadlands present for the final gather,

I can not thank you all enough for the work which was done this past gather. My people can now reclaim their home for the causes of the right and the just, and a great and powerful foe to all lands has been greatly diminished if not defeated in whole.

I must again thank those who traveled with me and Viera to assult Emilio's Mind. The few extra hours I got to have with her thanks to our success can never be truly repaid. Just to hold her in my arms again, was more then I ever had dared to dream. I can not express in words how greatful I am for that opertunity and all of your help.

Should anyone be in need of me, I will be spending the winter in the Icenian Capital. I wish all the Bastions of the Deadlands the greatest of luck in the future. Again, I can not thank you all enough.

Forever in your debt,
Amaranthus Valcere Landcharmer

remember - by ending one enemy we have opened the door for another. this is only a chapter in our waging war: fever grey will come and more blood will spill before the thaw

our winter will be painted red unless we protect the work at stoneroost that others have died for

- sevaria

Sevaria, it pains me to think that you of all people should consider me an enemy, especially under circumstances such as these. What do you think you have won? Some great victory that heralds the beginning of a glorious new day? You have taken the tiniest step down a road paved with horror and war. Who do you think you have defeated? Some dread foe that was chief amongst your woes? Barringer was a puppet that danced to the tune of an enemy you cannot fathom. With what do you think you have allied? Some benevolent light that will shield you as it drives out the shadow? Your much vaunted Puriel has caused you more direct suffering than Void has. How valiant Paladar was offered up as a sacrifice for Puriel's benefit. How noble Wynn too was given as a sacrifice when Puriel could find no better use for him. Have you ever stopped to ask yourself who will be called upon next? How many battles does young Vry have left? So full of promise, surely Puriel will spare him. How many narrow escapes are left for Kainen? He is mighty indeed, surely he could not leave you.

Are you so blinded by Puriel's shining light and Void's inky darkness that you cannot see them for what they are? They do not care about the slaves and soldiers they come by. They do not weep when their champions fall. They merely find new champions. You talk of war as if you knew anything about it. These two things have waged war against each other since the first second ticked by when the world was new. You have taken on an impossible task; to end a conflict as old as time itself. You cannot know the forces you are struggling with, and you cannot know the consequences of your success or failure.

And in all this you account me as your enemy. Perhaps you are as blind as your oracular kinswoman. What lasting harm have I done you? What malice do you fear I bear you? You know what I want; a home apart. Have I not shown myself willing to be reasonable in this matter? Have I not expressed appropriate thanks for the good turns you have done me?

I will fight for Stone Roost. For as long as my subjects have need of it, I will defend it from any who seek to deny them its sanctuary. But I do not seek to remain there. It is a stop on a longer journey, and no more. Rather than throwing yourselves against me and mine, aid me in swift victory, that I may depart all the sooner. Support my efforts, and I will support yours. From atop my throne I will free you all from your adopted obligations to your unfeeling and uncompromising white master, and restore the balance of your world to where it belongs; to that which existed before this most ancient conflict began. You, Sevaria, you should know of what I speak.

Until we meet again, I bid you pleasant dreams.

-Fever Grey, Prince of the Fae.

i know - i see - all those pretty words

those who have held puriel have done so willingly - not for greed or protection but to bolster her hope with their own. they died for what they believed in. their war has become our war, for it affects what is to become of our world. never will i force my hand for a fight that i do not believe in - and while i am sure you have your place, i do not think that place is a gilded throne - and i suspect that you do not have the power to achieve or keep it, much less mold puriel and void to your will as you loftily suggest

time will tell

as for war: yes and yes - this is the road i and others have chosen - this is the road i walk until i see the end of it

- sevaria

I don't understand all of the history behind Puriel and Void, but I do know that Void is a real threat to the living, and I'd give my life to stop it whether Puriel wanted me to or not. I also know that you're dangerous and tricky, Grey. And it could be because I stll act like a child that I feel this way, but I don't trust anyone who works with peoples' fears; the only person someone like that helps is themself.

- Caillen

Umm... Goodness knows I don't know much aboot anything, but if all this Fever Grey bloke wants is to go home with his people, why don't we just let him, eh? I mean, I don't think anybody wants to do any more fighting than we have to. I certainly don't. Can't we just let him have a place, and, you know, share?
-Helix

Those who wield Void have also done so willingly. Does that make their enslavement any less real? Madric conjured it and died shortly after. Aevalic captured it and was slowly drained of all his power. Bjorn and Emilio gave themselves fully to it, and look how they have moved to their master's will. Emilio has been used up and forgotten by Void, and the vampire will be no different.

Void destroys irrevocably. Puriel creates unthinkingly. Both are hopelessly without balance. Neither is appropriate to govern the fate of the world. Is it because you are mortal and thus limited that you cannot see that?

We are what we are. I can no more change my nature to something mortals find more palatable than you, Caillen, could remove your foot from your mouth without benefit of radical surgery. You were warned in August on this very posting board not to trifle with me. You demonstrate yet again that you have all the savvy judgment of hole in the ground.

Guard your mind, child. If you hope to aid your precious Puriel, you will need to be much braver. In the darkness, you dream of a crowned skull with burning eyes and your failure to trick him, and being trapped alone within enclosing walls, and a pretty girl named Haley that you try so hard to be like.

Do not address me again.

At least there is one reasonable being among you.

-Fever Grey, Prince of the Fae

By my count, Grey has spoke not one lie.

I would snap Puriel like a twig over my knee to have Wynn back.

~Heresy

Heresy,

One need not lie to twist the truth, old friend. And that is all that little Grey has ever done. That he would use Wynn's name at all is an afront, as it was his own hand that did once murder Wynn's sweet wife, Thrace. So pay this Grey no mind, nor give credence to his words. He is a creature of doubt and lies and children's fears. It is not a home for his people that he truly seeks, only a throne for his own glory. He will seat it gladly on our ruin, or even upon the blood of his own people.

The loss of Wynn and Paladar has struck us all. And it may well be that this war between Puriel and Void is indeed not a thing that can be ended or won. Perhaps it is there simply to be fought and endured, as we struggle to create a new world from the darkness to which we have fallen. And it is in that vision of a new world that lies the worth and righteousness of our cause. It is for that vision of Laerthan reborn that Wynn and Paladar chose this fight, and sacrificed themselves with bravery and honor.

I have spoken with our friends of late, and I must confess that I am worried about you Heresy. Please, come see me in Stoneroost. We could use a good man like you here.

Ever in faith,
Nicodemus

Nicodemus, you will have to dig much deeper to find the depths to which I have sunk. As I wrote before, we are what we are, and I was not fashioned by own hand. That blame lies with another. It is far from the wisdom of your befeathered ancestors to dismiss the testimony of one as ancient as I simply because I have a different moral compass. You think I have twisted the truth? Truth twists in the mind of he who beholds it, no matter what its source. You cast aside the witness I offer because you, like me, are petty. Can you not see that a mutual enemy has inadvertently granted us all an opportunity that has never before existed?

I am growing, changing in a way unparalleled in the history of the Fae, because never before now have Arcadia and its High King Oberon been absent. Without his merciless will, we are free to adapt, to open new paths for ourselves. I am on such a path, and if you do not interfere, then I have no reason to be your foe. Perhaps we will never be allies again; I remain proud, as befits a Prince. It may be true that I have wronged you and yours too much in the past. Think on this, however. Once Wynn chose to sacrifice his wife to hold to the highest standard of nobility: sacrifice for the good of those he protected. In your heart, you shall not now count me different as I make war upon those who set themselves against my design: the rebirth of dazzling Arcadia, that the dreams of the world may again have a place to call home.

I have little time, and less to banter with you all, as refreshing a distraction as that proves. I will say my purpose plainly: I can be an aid in your great war, as any of you could be in mine. It is not hard to contact me, some among you have done so already. If you are sick of losing friends to a fight you cannot win and barely understand, tell me. I will give you new purpose, increased power, and something truly worth fighting for. A chance to win.

Yikes. If Nicodemus (who does not like to be hugged - I'm gonna remember that) says this fellow is truth-twisting and wants to sit on ruin, that must be right. I'll be quiet now.

Sorry for interrupting your thanking, Amaranthus-whoever-you-are.

I'm being quiet now.

-Helix

You speak of giving out purpose as it was your will alone that can decide a persons fate. You say you are evolving as if that proves you are a choosen being on a path of destiny. You evolve as all things evolve, as puriel evolves, as void evolves and as the collection of life itself evolves. Change is inevitable in all things and evolution does not implicate that you are becoming the better. You have no power to choose the fate of others and mandate their purpose. Only as an individual governing themselves does one ever find true purpose. Hand outs of directional leadership simply give them an exuse to ignore their own abiltiy to choose a path. You say you are proud as a prince should be... perhaps you should try humility and an outlook that you like all things exist in a world where it takes more that a witty tounge to change things. If you want to prey on peoples doubt and and try to rationalize your view on moral code than you will get no where. There will most likely always be fools to follow fools, and there will always be pawns to be lead in the endless struggles that Fortanis is comprised of. If they seek you to give them guidance and purpose than they will die by your lead, as those who follow void have died, and as those who follow puriel have died. Do not try and riddle your way into a position that is any different. To follow anything blindly will surely lead to demise. If you want to aid someone then do so, but don't preach about those who have made sacrifices for their beliefs. Right or wrong.

~ Avian

You assume so much about what you think is going on all around you, and your assumptions leave you flailing helplessly, balanced on the thinnest of threads. The only reason you don't see this is that you have never had a chance to see things otherwise. You have always been shown the right way and the wrong way, the left and right paths, the black and the white. You are not trained to find the third option, the hidden middle path, the shades of grey. I am a shade of grey, and as they say, like calls to like. I know far more about the truth behind all this than you even imagine there is to know. Have I not already told you that Void and Puriel are beyond ancient, that they are eternal? They are elemental icons, child, of the most elemental precepts of all: creation and destruction. They do not evolve. They persist. Your claim that they are otherwise is testament to your insurmountable ignorance on the subject.

It astounds me that any mortal should presume to lecture me on leadership, or morality, or humility of all things. You know nothing about me but what you have been told by those who loathe and dread me. If you are reasonable in the slightest degree, you will concede that this is no valid basis for a thesis. To accuse me of being no more than a witty tongue would have been tantamount to suicide two years ago; witness the regrettable incident regarding Lady Thrace Geffrin. Surely my inaction on this point is demonstrative of the changes I have already mentioned. If you require more proof, ask Royal Adviser Nicodemus how well he has slept of late. Of course, he may simply lie, but I think that his rather warped sense of honor would require him to admit the truth, however damaging to his preconceptions about me.

I am beginning to wonder if I shall ever reach through to the majority of you and convince you that the third option I am offering will prevent you from losing any more of your friends to this unwinnable cause you have married yourselves to. You will not win my aid with bitter words, child. I am not an altruist. I am the prince of a race of powerful beings, and I have the best interests of my subjects to consider. But by all means, keep dispensing trash in my direction. That will certainly motivate me to save you when they move to recapture their wayward subject.

Dear Avian,

I'm going to put you in a pink dress and slap your bottom, tulip.

-Preston LaFey

P.S.
STOP TALKING TO GREY. HE WILL TURN YOU INTO A FOOTSTOOL.

Helix, I missed you!!! Where have you been? I'm glad to hear your voice. When it comes to fae, things usually are MUCH more complicated than they appear on the surface. Next time I see you I'll have some things to tell you about this that I don't want to say here. Ssssshhhhh. Just remind me because I'll forget.

I don't know a lot about the conflict between Puriel and Void. Clearly creation and destruction cannot exist without each other, this is the natural way of things. Life begets death, from which new life is made. Except that Void has ended up in the hands of a spectral liche and a vampire, two beings who have clearly stepped outside the cycle of creation and destruction. Neither side can win becuase without death there will be no room for new life, and without life, death would result in nothingness. Destruction in and of itself is not evil. Creation in and of itself is not good, but Void and Puriel do seem to have polarized in more than just those two ways.

Sorry, I'm just a puny mortal and therefore cannot hope to understand these things without some help!

Michiko

P.S. I bet Avian looks very nice in pink.

Back