The city streets

Having spent the last few weeks inside the Sanctum walls, Vaegar makes his way out into the city for a walk. Smelling nothing but candle wax and fire wood while at his studies, The cool wind and fresh air of the city was a delightful change. The wind was cool upon his face and his skin flutered with goosepimples as he made his way along the slow winding streets of Calanhelm.

The Moon was just riseing in the east. It yellow glow peaking through the thin veil of clouds. Soon it would be High in the sky, full and round, with more then enough light to bask the city in. After having to listen to these Halfbreeds and humans go on and on about the "Power of the Encant" and the "enchanting properties of the stone elementals mateing ritual", the soft sounds of the city were a welcoming change. He could here the revalries of the Pub just down the street, and snarrls and growls of two street cats battling over some food. It was peaceful.

All the talk around the city was of this Vampiric Duke how has now made threats againts the kings sister. Stupid man. If you want to achieve your goals you dont attack the sister of Royalty, you go for the one controlling the family, Plus I would have nailed that poor sap to her picture, not the door. The thought brought back some fond memories. This duke was of no real concern. Having spoken with him at Her Graces ball he seemed pleasant and polite, not qualites all Vampires have in common, and was even forthcoming. Telling every one about this stone that is lost in the hills near parsons breach! Ha, tip your hand and the whole table knows what you have. Now every half cut halfbreed with a sword is going to be out there hunting for this stone, when it might not even be there. "Never trust a Vampire,Vaegar" Uncle used to say, "It will lead you right into its gobblet if you do." Wise words old man. More memories.

He turned around the corner and saw a few of the citys watch coming up the road. He nodded as they passed, not wanting to seem disrespectful in case they were of some rank, but also because he knew the job was a thankless one and it was one of the few things that he truly appreceated others for doing. These were the men and women of the frontline, and should always be respected...in his books anyway.

After and hour the Moon was rising full and high in the sky. His eyes had adjusted enough to see well. He bought a cup of spiced wine from a local pub that had tollerable vintage and stepped back out side to enjoy his time away from his studies.

Im glad no one back home could here me now, he thought to himself, but what a wonderful night. These Sunheads dont know what they are missing.

Vaegar's thoughts are abrubtly halted as he hears several howls within the city walls. These are not the howls of ordinary wolves. The pitch is off. There seems to be a more "human" tone to them. The hairs on the back of his neck stand at attention as he can hear the padding of pawed feet in an alleyway just off to his right.... something "big" is there and he can feel it's gaze upon him....

Sipping his drink with the utmost of dignity, Veagar take two steps from the door and turns right. Keeping his eyes on the ally he reaches the mouth of ally and casuly glances around the street, hoping that no one was out and about. With his right hand tucked in to the small of his back he turns and stares into the Allyway, the goblet not inch from his mouth. With every ounce of energy in his body, he calms his breath, slows his heart and musters up the most challenging stare he could think of, the one his mother used to use.

As he turns to meet the gaze of the largest wolf he has ever seen, Veagar also notices a shimmering light from beyond the hound. This wolf stands at least 3' at its shoulder, fangs the size of daggers. It's eyes are the most peircing red that Veagar has ever seen. It's more than animalistic thought behind them though. He can almost sense the intelligence of the beast. It's gaze locks with Veagar's and he feels as though this wolf is peering into his soul.

With a last growl the wolf turns from Veagar and moves to the shimmering light. It lets out a howl which echoes down the alleyway and is immediately answered in other parts of the city and then it steps into the light wich fades behind it.

Veagar squints as the sudden light fades away. He remains where he stands, letting the howls within the city fade as well. For many heartbeats he stares intently at the now dark ally waiting for any possible danger to come. When he is satisfied that the beast is gone, he removes his hand from the hilt of his dagger and takes a sip from his now cooling glass of wine.

He turns and walks slowlyback towards the Tavern. His head is down in thoughtful contemplation and his eyes dart back and forth watching nothing. He leans against a barrel not far from the door and strokes his beard. hmmmmm..... Another sip of wine. It couldnt be....

Veagar puts down his glass on the barrel and makes his way back up to the Sanctum for further contemplation.

Arriving back from his patrol of the surrounding area. Phelan moves to the alley beside the ogres head tavern.

Vaegar makes his way along the streets back to the bar which sells the only Vintage of real quality (if you could call it that) that he enjoys. He passes the various shops and stalls one would find in the city this size.
He arrives at the in just after sunset, orders his spiced wine and steps outside to take his place on the barrel of the door. His eyes move slowly up and down the streets, scanning for any sign of this portal wielding beast. I hope his night proves fruitfull.

As Phelan reaches the mouth of the alley, the smell of spiced wine and Dark elf let him know that Vaegar is here. "Well met Vaegar. What can I help you with this fine night?.

Vaegar cocks his head to the side, at the sound of boot falls, but when the muzzel of Phalen appears, the dark elf turns back to his drink. "Well met, Phalen, and good of you to come. But before we start, go grab a drink to shake off the cold." Vaegar waits for the wolfkin to return, sipping his wine and relaxing mentally (a little) at the thought of the help he was going to get. When the wolfkin returns, he begins "To start with I should let you know what I know. Two months ago around his time a young child was killed rather brutaly in these city streets. I head of the attack a day after I had arrived and thought not of it. well, untill I heard the details of the childs death, then my interest was peaked." he pauses for a sip, "I had decided to see if I might find out alittle more since it seemed the Authorities seemed to be bogged down, so a month ago at this time I went out in the streets of this city to find not only a tavern that sells exceptable wine, but also, the trail of this killer. To my surprise, I did." He pause for effect.

" Aye a horrible thing it is. At the Duchess ball the Commander of the Home Guard asked me to use my "nose for trouble" as it was and help with the hunt. But Ive had no luck. What have you found out?

" Well My friend, I was sitting on this very Barrel, enjoying a cup of wine as I am doing so now, and pondering at the beauty of the moon light, when I heard this most unsettling growl coming from that very Ally you arrived at. I could feel the piercing of eyes upon my body that felt as if my very soul was violated of all its secrets. It was a most unnerving feeling." He pauses once more to finish his wine and place it next to him, "So with the feeling all about I went and cautiously looked about down the Ally to see what had felt. Low, and Behold, but A Beast stood before me, Three feet at its shoulder and more fur then even you my friend. but before i could raise an alarm or strike out at it, It vanished, Poof ," Vaegar uses his hands to motion as to what a Poofing sound would look like, "in to Portal of white light. This is why I have called you hear, Phalen, to assist me in tracking this beast, if my suspicsions are right. Tonight My Boy.......we hunt."

With a feral grin and a low growl Phelan loosens his blades. "Lets hunt". Phelan steps to the side to let Vaegar lead the way.

Veagar smiles, but quickly rest his hands on Phalen paw to holter his blade, "Easy my valiant guardian, do not be so hasty to draw steel upon this creature. I know it goes against the very fiber of your being, but in order for The Hunters to catch the hunter you must make yourself the prey, and this creature is no mear beast. Only Magic can open a portal and even then it must be in a fixed place. This beast opened one on the spot in the middle of the city that houses a vast magority of Mages. We must be careful and cautious, but do not fret, you will get your kill" Vaegar hopes down off the Barrel, Finish your drink, lad, and then head out into the streets, keep this Tavern as your bearing and only go a few blocks away, i shall do the same. We must present our selves as innocent people out for a walk, enjoying the night air. If you, or I, should catch wind of this Creature, we muct call out, to aid the other. Understand?" Vaegar nods and starts to move east down the street.

Phelan watches Vaegar head off down the street. "Let the hunter be the hunted eh..hmn that gives me an idea" Phelan says with a smile. Taking a deep drink of ale form his "special" tankard, he lets some of the amber brew dribble down his front. And with a ditty that he learned from a Crow-kin friend of his spewing off key from his muzzle,Phelan lurches off down the west side if the street "singing" out loud in drunken manner all the while using his hammed up drunken antics to masks his real intentions.

The night is cold and dark. The smells of the city assault your senses. The corners are dark and the shadows deep. As you have such keen scenses you note that many of theses are not as "empty" as they appear. The denizens of the night are out as well. Your "act" has caught the attention of several of the locals. As they each in turn move towards you they all eventually notice your distict features...and move away back into the night. One one of your several tours of the area, you pick up an odd scent. As you stop to evaluate this your ears pick up an odd sound as well. You note that they eminate in the very same area as you last saw Veagar in.

Moving quickly,Phelan straightens up from his feigned stupor turns and runs down the darkened street blending into the shadows. Straining his senses to the max Phelan makes sure that his blades are loose and in easy reach. " Hopefully Vaegar hasn't gotten to far " he mutters as he lopes silently down the cobblestones.

As you strain to determine what this new scent and sound is you temporarily lose your situational awareness. You round the corner of the block and the new scent is overpowering. Standing in your path between you and the dark elf, who now stands at the other end of the alley, a larger creature that the scent is coming from.

Having made his way down and around the street, Vaegar smiles as the howls of a drunken wolf reaches his ears. A good choice, that one. His smile wavers as a mild smell reaches his nose.

Vaegar moves along the street turning his head from side to side, "admiring" the shops on the street, all the while scanning the dark corners and rooftops for the "hunter".

After a moment, Vaegar stops and listens. The sound of Phelan rouse could not be heard. Fearing the worst, Vaegar turn down an ally way in the direction of the Wolfkins last song. His movement is halted by Creature of abnormal size. Quick as a Fiddle, A dagger is in Vaegars hand. Empress guide me.

Quickly stopping. Phelan drops into a defensive posture. With a low growl Phelan draws his blades blades half way, scanning for any signs of hostility from the ominous shape before him. Now what do we have here? he wonders to himself. A feral grin grows across his muzzle as his predator side surges forward inside.

Standing before you both, the creature appears to be posed as if listening to something. You both instantly realize this creature is actually a member of the Sarr family. He stands tall and has a huge mane of hair. Strapped to his side is a gigantic two handed weapon. He is dressed in fine clothing and you both notice an aura of magic emminating from his hands as he remains motionless not even appearing no notice iether of you.

Back