The Depths Have Been Breached

Samyania

Scholar
For those of you who were not aware, the Depths have been tunneled into from outside. This has resulted in a decline in the structural integrity of the literal foundation of some of the outbuildings of the Ceriopolis, in cracks appearing which issue forth the unresting dead, and likely is a contributing factor to the heightened number of dead clawing their way out of the ground elsewhere.

Due to our small numbers, the weather and Asha's impending assault, we did not react to this news with appropriate force or swiftness.

I visited the Eyes and Hands of the Beginning and End on Sunday morning to gain a better understanding of the situation. Recently, massive silvery constructs began to break through into the Depths from the outside, swallowing gemstones as they came across them and traveling generally in a straight line. When scouts were sent to discover the origin of the constructs, they walked for weeks in the direction of the Empyrium and Silver Mill, and did not surface. My theory is that these constructs were sent traveling in a straight line, and their controllers were murdered without issuing a command for them to stop. When the E.H.B.E. attempted to forestall the constructs, many of them lost their lives, to the degree that they are considering abandoning their posts of thousands of years and many generations.

The constructs must be stopped, and the Depths must be shored up, both with masonry and magic. Tulbor has offered what aid he can with the masonry while he is in the area, but given the danger of the location and his need to return to his home, that is likely to be limited. The Depths will need more help. The walls also, as they crumble, spew forth motes of magical energy, which can likely be used at a Crucible to aid in the enchantment's repair. This will require a great martial force, for the constructs and the dead attempting escape, masons and those who understand architecture to shore up the physical passages as well, and those strong of will and purpose who understand the motes to attempt magical repairs.

I will be attempting to repair the Depths again in January. If I need to, I will spend every one of the twelve shards of my spirit in the Depths, but I am certain all of my life alone will not be sufficient. Please be prepared to assist. There will probably be monetary compensation if the constructs can be stopped and opened.

Vellis Valeriana Tsalarioth, Psychopompos
Former Dominus Mortem
Member of the New Leaf Academy of Ceriopolis
Presumed Member of the Earth Guild of Ceriopolis
Earthen Journeyman of the Earthen Eye Magisterium of the Aquilix of the Odekrag

My apologies for being gone for so long. These Constructs sound eerily similar to stories I heard of Constructs in the Golden Horn, Tythonians I believe? There was a delicate ecosystem that was in place to keep them contained and that being disturbed, released even worse things upon the land. I hope this can be rectified sooner rather than later.

Maybe some of the older adventurers may know more about the Constructs.

Vellis,

It will be a pair of months until I've returned.

Continue to do your best, and I will assist as much as I can when I arrive.

I'm not certain how my magic can assist. Are there rituals that can be used to rebuild the Depths?

-Z

Vellis,

Now that Asha has been turned away from the Ceriopolis and our citizens are safe from her direct threat. I do agree this is the current biggest issue the Duchy faces. We need to martial as large a force as we can for this endeavor and be well prepared to face powerful undead as well as the golems at the bottom. Earth blades, shatters, destroy and traps should be preped in large numbers.

Know that myself, my squire will be there and you will not have to die alone on this endeavor, or preferably at all. I am sure we will be able to muster a large force and deal with this problem in the coming months. As the next gather approaches we should prepare ourselves.

Sir Tantarus Andrada
Knight of the Ceriopolis

Also,

Why does Asha now threaten the Ceriopolis? I feel there's a development that I should know about before I return in January.

I realize that I'm....rather out of touch with matters that occurred since the fall of the Houses, but I'd rather not learn everything all at once.

Anyone able to assist me with an update?

-Z

She is a member of the savage legion and has always been a threat us. Despite what others might have argued in the past. Her goal is to destroy all civilized lands. She brought a powerful artifact, her animus powers and bloodmagic to bear against us this last gather. We forced her to flee the field which was more of a push then a win on our part. But perhaps the best we could hope for given the power of her force.

Much has changed since you last set foot in the Ceriopolis. We have a single leader in his Grace. He has decreed the Savage Legion as our enemy as it should have always been. The war is official. They are to be given no quarter by his word. There will be no more deals or half measures when they are involved. To do so could be considered Treason.

Sir Tantarus Andrada
Knight of the Ceriopolis

Last edited:
I always knew that green skinned goblins were not worthy of live. (kelb spits on the floor) Death to the Savage Legion! I too plan on being there in January and my sword, although not as strong as many in our midst, will be ready to re-kill all it can.

Members of the Ceriopolis,

The words of Kelb, I fear, are likely representative of many.

While we steel ourselves and engage the Legion in battle for our land and lives, let us not abandon our ideals of compassion, mercy, and justice to anger and vengeance.

Let us defend, and viciously so, ourselves and each other.

Let us protect, heal, and build this land into something worthy of the ages.

But let us remember that our enemies are sentient in nature, and each individual member of the Legion can choose to live a better life, or not. Let us not destroy them simply because they are "green skinned goblins." That mindset is evil. That mindset is not justice.

In this time that I've been away, I've remembered why I came to serve Life. I cannot, and will not, abandon that purpose. There is as much Life in a Goblin as there is in a Human, a Kyn, or any other sentient race.

That Life deserves as much a chance to grow, and benefit all Life, as any other.

-Zeth
Primal Shaman of the Ceriopolis

I at one time sought to come to an accord with the Savage legion, to find a land they could call home, where they could live peacefully and cease their constant raids against others. I tried speaking with them, allowed others to deal with them in that hope.

My desire for peace has caused the death of innocents, my desire for balance blinded me to fact that their existence is antithetical to civilized existence. The High Orcs saw this centuries ago, when they left the Savage Legion at great cost to themselves.

Thankfully his Grace has put an end to my blindness. By his decree the savage legion our our enemies, so we may restore justice and peace to Calliphestus.

Zeth, the blindness you show now, and that I once suffered from caused the massacre in Silvermill, their empowerment by the artifacts stolen from there and the many lives that continue to be lost in their wake.

The only Savage legion I will spare, are those who take arms against their own in a desire to step away from savagery and towards civility. Those are the only Savage Legion worthy of the Life you offer.

Squire Eldor Dutain

Eldor,

Do not mistake my compassion and mercy for sentient life that has earned it a sign of blindness.

Nor do I refer merely to the Savage Legion. There are goblins in lands other than these that are not Legion, but Kelb's words ring of disgust for all such life, simply because of what they are.

"Civilized existence."

That term always seems to be defined by the speaker. When I see you next, we should discuss what your meaning is.

In any case, I've made my point. I am not blind.
I don't even know if there are any Legion who I would spare. But I will not commit atrocities to protect the Ceriopolis. If that is treason, let me know now, so that I know not to return.

-Zeth

No one is asking you to commit atrocities. But this is not the Domini's Ceriopolis any more. The enemy is defined as are the rules of engagement. No more making deals with the Savage Legion such as was done in the past with Asha and the Marauder. That would likely be considered treason if done now. And people are pointing out what those deals lead to, mainly the destruction of Silvermill directly. Had we eliminated those beings rather then made parlay with them, Silvermill would likely remain intact and the people there still alive.

I am sure there is a place for you here, no one requires you to make war or kill. But dealing with, healing, helping the enemy will not be tolerated as it was in the past. The healers guild is newly reformed under a new leader. I am sure you would find a place there and likely gain membership.

Also we are likely to make a deep venture into the depths in order to fix the breaches. There will be plenty of the dead for you and everyone to kill if that enemy is more to your liking. You should come, many things have changed, but I think you will find it for the better.

Sir Tantarus Andrada
Knight of the Ceriopolis

Back