The Sweet Spot

averzwyv

Looking back at coming to game, and playing a templar.

Not sure whether it is earth Templar, or Celestial templar, but will be a Bear Scavy.

Around 240 build-ish, not having played a templar before, but having played a fighter, and a scholar, where is the sweet spot of effectiveness for character functionality? I know as a templar I am negating 20% of my build in additional costs, but how are people playing it these days in Alliance?

The short answer is that you are making a really great choice by going with templar. Since your well over 20th level hump half classes are going to give you much more overall "power" than the strait classes. Because we'll, you won't be stuck with one "trick" so to speak.

One of the big choices you will have before you is whether or not you want to go weapon heavy, or spell heavy, or cut it right down the line. If you go pretty even you could have 4 profs (swing 6's base damage) and a 4 column all the way through your 9th level spells. Alternatively you could drop off some of the spells and go for swinging 8's. Or only swing 5's with not so many weapon skills and perhaps have a 5 column or a 4 with 5-10 lvls or ritual. And in case you hadn't noticed ritual these days is sweet for combat with the new high magic.

As far as Celestial vs. Earth really I'd say that would strongly depend on how you like to use your magic. Because essentially Earth is supporting magic. You'll be able to memorize some offensive stuff like binding and curses, but you'll probably want a solid number of protectives and healing to keep yourself on your feet as well. And of course that is the beauty of a Templar or half class mele/casting class is that they can really be a full self service station. With Celestial you'll give yourself a much more offensive option with your magic. Even if it isn't all Evocation with a full 4 column you'll be able to throw 5's with your wand charges which can definitely come in handy. Not to mention you give yourself access to the best offensive/defensive spell in the game IMO, Prison.

Another thing to keep in mind that how you build your spell column might be something you would want to chose depending on the type of magic you pick. For Celestial its all about getting your columns and 9th level spells now. Since those augment your Wand damage and give you the best spells the Celestial school of magic has to offer. With earth it can actually be perfectly useful and handy especially for a half class to go wide base on their pyramid because the lower level earth spells can be really awesome for being a "combat medic" and just picking people up off the ground.

As far as the sweet spot for effectiveness that will depend a lot on how you like to play your game. If your more of a fan of the "beat them down" version of things then I might go weapon heavy, earth templar. If you like to mix it up a bit more and perhaps spell things down 2 or 3 times a day when you decide to use what you have consider the celestial templar option. One last thing to keep in mind longterm is that if you should ever get access to a Mercury Golem, the celestial templar option with 5 or 10 levels of ritual to store themselves with high magic into that unholy killing machine will make you one of the most powerful possible characters/classes on the field... Really only possibly second to the celestial Adept... But that's another conversation ;)

Any more specific questions? That's my broad picture overview of some of the various strengths and whatnot of the awesomeness of the half classes. IMO once you are beyond 20th level with pretty much anything its really well worth it to go half class, cause lets be honest, swinging 20's really isn't "necessary" even if it is supper cool. :)

Oh and for the perspective of how people are leaning in Alliance these days Templar is getting more and more popular, and in many event breakdowns that I've seen recently they have outnumbered the Fighters.

The only thing he didn't touch on was buy the expensive or large build items first. Like if you know you want to swing 8's for your final character buy that first. Because it's alot easier and feels quicker getting an extra spell or formal each event. Then it is to wait for the full prof up grade. Ya you get crit attacks on the way, but in the grand scheme not really usefull, compared to the temtaion of buying more spells, lol.
I've played ever half class. What I liked the best was playing a Templar that could swing the damage, and use my spells for reserves, or special ops like mods or plans. Also unlike other classes, templars are extermly differnt depending on your fighting style. How were u thinking of fighting?

The only thing I can suggest, from personal experience, is if you are going for a templar build, don't buy 70 build in racial resists first....

lolz, well yea, but that does give your character other strengths... ;)

Another thing to consider is the IG way you want to play a bear wyldkin. Do you want to be a melee ferocious type bear, or more mellow? Do you want to go with what many traditional Native Americans view the bear as, a symbol of healing and the earth? Some things you might want to ponder as well to help you decide how to build it.

I highly recommend a two-handed weapon for a Templar. You will be buying fewer profs than a fighter and 1.5 x Prof plus the Base 3 for a two-handed weapon helps with the damage output. I will give the warning that it's much harder fighting against a sword-and-board user. In other situations the effect isn't really noticeable. However, as a Templar you will have your spells to fall back on.

I would agree that numbers wise using that damage multiplier will definitely help a half class that has a harder time buying as many profs. 5 profs with a 2 handed weapon gets you swinging 10's which is definitely a sweet spot as far as damage numbers are concerned.

But 6 profs has you swinging 12s so I'd use the extra 18 build myself. At 240 build 8 profs is also in reach if you want to swing 15s.
Dreamingfurther said:
I would agree that numbers wise using that damage multiplier will definitely help a half class that has a harder time buying as many profs. 5 profs with a 2 handed weapon gets you swinging 10's which is definitely a sweet spot as far as damage numbers are concerned.

true enough, I'm just saying if one would rather go spell heavy, that is one way to still have a good number but lots of build left for spells and such.

it all depends on your vision, not all templars are made to cut down foes on the front line. Personally the build I'm going for is designed to be able to hold his own a little better then a scholar, but by no means chop things down. This makes sword and board a much more effective choice for me as my goal is to wade through battle lines alive and get to that poor downed rogue/adept/scholar/npc who was supposed to die but I'm going to screw with plot by bringing him back alive/new player.

Of course I don't expect many people to build similarly to my build as the sheer number of resists have proven to require quite a bit of patience in having to wait for about a full year plus of play to start adding spells...

Lurin said:
it all depends on your vision, not all templars are made to cut down foes on the front line. Personally the build I'm going for is designed to be able to hold his own a little better then a scholar, but by no means chop things down. This makes sword and board a much more effective choice for me as my goal is to wade through battle lines alive and get to that poor downed rogue/adept/scholar/npc who was supposed to die but I'm going to screw with plot by bringing him back alive/new player.

Of course I don't expect many people to build similarly to my build as the sheer number of resists have proven to require quite a bit of patience in having to wait for about a full year plus of play to start adding spells...

Parry...much needed to "hold your own".

Back