The thing in the catacombs

ecrath

Scholar
Chicago Staff
So, last market a group of us when into the catacombs to stop a potential sabatoge of the infrastructure of a city. I don't remember the name as I am new to dragonreach and im sure someone can fill in that gab. However, when we arrived the sabatours had already been killed by creatures living in there. They were pretty standard trolls living down there, however there was another creature down there. He was a being of shadow who could deliver people into death by draining all hope from them. This creature being so close to a populated area is concerning to say the least. Next market I would like to lead a group to take care of this threat. I would accept all offers for help. This thing is hard to catch. I can give more details to those who are interested.

Short version, there is a problem in the catacombs that needs to be addressed.

Ignathis Nachtfeuer

——————————————————
Ig: Ignathis Nachtfeuer
Oog: Ethan Rath

Thank you for sharing this. Open communication like this is fantastic.

A being from Shadow would be very terrifying. Who else went on your mission to defend the infrastructure? Was this city in Throncyrf?

When you say it's 'hard to catch' what do you mean? did you fight it and it fled? or just it was mostly and insubstantial being?

-Gideon

Gideon,
It did not seem insubstantial but it could walk through the shadows and was able to do it anytime I approached it. Dusty and her crew were there, as well as the company, and lady avacyn. I believe Throncyrf is correct, it was while you and the other experienced adventures were fighting the oni enhanced soldiers in the woods.

Ignathis

——————————————————

Gideon and Ignathis,
This was the capital city in thorncryf, and I appreciate the knowledge that there is some sort of shadow beast living under the city. As far as I knew, there wasn't supposed to be anything like that down there, so I will inform Duke Arlien or his son in order to investigate that further. Should you wish to send a group there, I will assist you.

Ardos Irani

Last edited:
Boots warned us of portals to shadow being left open. Especially near populated areas. This can be real bad.
Shadows would kidnap people, bring them to shadow, drain their heat away, and replace them with a copy luring others into shadow.

Before we get into full scale paranoia, does anyone know how to tell the difference between a shadow puppet and real person?

-Gideon

Would a light spell be a good way to check shadow puppets? I know it works on shadow elementals in Wayside.

Ignathis

——————————————————

Unsure, we wouldn't be able to check unless we knew of a shadow clone already. Perhaps some other adventurers have more experience.

Talking with Boots, a kobold from the HugeMongus Rock tribe, would be good to reach out to. It might not be without danger, but if you're looking to get some research in before we gather again, he would be a good resource.

I can point you in the right direction.

-Gideon

Gideon,

Im sure I could spend some time doing just that. Please point me in the right direction.

——————————————————

Finding the shadow creature could be tricky. There was some signs that the sabatours were allowed to start setting up their plan before they were ambushed. A secondary group needs to prepare for such attacks to avoid a similar fate.

-Sam Gemclipper

They are drawn to heat. So if the catacombs are otherwise devoid of life, I'd imagine it would just take some time for the Shadow to find them and attack.

It walked into the shadows every time you got close? Were you able to attack it in any meaningful way?

-Gideon

I was able to hit it with a magic sword a few times. The blows felt effective.

——————————————————

Former Bestie, that shadowy crawly lurky guy thing with the face in the catacombs who I thought was fantastic but turned out to be less-than-great was really super terrible. He snuck around just outside of our reach quite a bit and charmed Dusty, but then I realized he was really just a misunderstood nice guy so when he politely asked me to go to him I did so. But then he grabbed onto me and wouldn't let go and and told me all these terrible, horrible things-- about how it was of no use, our efforts were hopeless, I would always be alone and never be loved again, and then the next thing I knew I sat up in the tavern with some pretty terrible wounds. I can't remember the last time anybody told me such horrible things, but I hope to never hear them again. That guy really got under my fur and I don't like him, not one bit (which is hard to say since I like pretty much everybody ever). Unfortunately, I don't have any advice for overcoming him and his awfulness. But since he did quite literally grab hold of me, I thought maybe sharing the experience could be of some use to you guys. Please be careful, that guy is no nonsense horrible.

Mutt

Thank you for your account Mutt. It was very helpful.
We should look into ridding him from the catacombs.

Ignathis,

Will you at the small gathering where we can talk more? Or perhaps the early fall gathering?

-Gideon

I will try to attend the small gathering. My business in wayside should not prevent me.

Ignathis

——————————————————

Any incursions to deal with this - I would like to volunteer as healer.

Yours In Service ,
Cyn

Lady IronRose of Storm's Rose
Special Envoy of King Grimlock to Dragonreach
Founder of Forgotten Hope
Mother

"My Life For Theirs"
"Defending the Dealings of Time and Space"

I have new information. If we have time i would like to hunt it on the first night of this gather.

Ignathis

——————————————————

Back