The twenty dollar A-frame tent

FrankManic

Artisan
12x9' Canvas dropcloth/tarp - 15$

1"x10' PVC pipe - 3 $

String, tent pegs, whatever - ?

End result? Maybe a cheap, easy tent to spruce up monster camp.

Has anyone tried this before?

The PVC pipe sucks. It will really sag in the middle. A better option would be to get a 10 foot closet pole, find a 1 foot piece of PVC that will fit over the end, cut the pole in half, insert two ends into the PVC piece and then drill a hole through both items at each end to put a pin through.

You'll then need a pole at each end to hold the ridge pole up with. Cut a closet pole to the height you want then, placing the ridge pole on top of it, drill a hole through the ridge pole and about 1/4-1/2" into the end pole. Use a nail that is long enough to stick out about half an inch after putting it through the ridge and setting into the end pole. From that extension, attach two guide lines to hold the whole shebang up with.

It might cost a wee bit more than $20. But it will look and function a great deal better. I suppose you could also use 2x2's as well.

If you're talking about using it as repping a tent IG for like a bandit encampment or something like that, yes done it many times and will do so again in the future. Best, cheapest way honestly is to just use clothesline rope between two decently sized trees. Also, bed sheets work well for this because they look a bit more like an actual cloth lean-to than the plastic tarp, they're smaller to pack up, and in a pinch monster camp can use them as table covers, cloaks, door blockers, walls,.....

Got one in my trunk, actually. Plastic tarp, though, as a good waterproof one is too expensive to keep kicking around with the spare tire.

I should note that I'm using mildly water resistant canvas drop cloth rather than plastic tarp.

I've got an eight-10' length of 1.5" wooden dowel. I suppose I'll try that for the ridge pole.

You can get a military shelter half on ebay for about as much. They'll be way more waterproof and look a million times better. I have one for use at game since the Army does not really use them anymore.

Gormegil said:
You can get a military shelter half on ebay for about as much. They'll be way more waterproof and look a million times better. I have one for use at game since the Army does not really use them anymore.

It also freestanding, no tie lines to trip over during combat, and it takes about 10-15 minutes to setup. I like the one that I have, and I have used it for a bandit camp at a gameday.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c367/ ... 2306-1.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c367/ ... 06GD-2.jpg

I've seen them for about $20 at surplus stores.

Back