Thin Weapon Construction

I seem to remember some conversation about this a bit back but I can't remember the specific verdict and it may have been on the old boards.

But the question I have is, can you build a sword say with a .505 kitespar core that has the 5/8 pipe foam around it but has a blade that is thinner than 2" in diameter, with tips that are "fatter" than the sword blade and are 2" in diameter across themselves? I realize this may sound goofy because it would produce a sword with a "fat" ended tip for stabbing but I've been thinking about trying some ideas to make this look cool and have a thinner sword. What was the call on this?

Secondly, would it be legal to build out the blade of a sword beyond the 5/8 minimum blade thickness in a v sort of shape to give the sword a more sword look? So something like this <O>. It would give the sword sort of an edge but would be foam, and if this would be alright would it have to be open cell foam or could it be closed cell?

Thanks! :)

People have made swords with a more blade-like shape to them. As long as the foam is at least 5/8" thick and whoever checks your weapon feels the edge doesn't make the weapon unsafe you should be good to go.

One sword I use as Kalaji has a flat blade. I think it's 5/8" in one direction and may 1" the other. When viewed from the tip it looks rectangular. Also, although the rulebook doesn't give a min/max dimension for it, I have seen other swords that use open cell foam to create a blade shape on swords.

This place is no longer making weapons for folks, but the blade pictured at the bottom of this page: http://larpsupply.com/_wsn/page8.html has a blade-like shape. The folks in SoCal who advised "Role Models" have used this company's weapons, and seem to like them. Even though they are no longer doing weapons, perhaps they could clue you in as to where they got their supply of foam.

while we are on the subject of weapon construction, where is the best place to get the 5/8 pipe foam. I have checked home depot and lowes but there pipe foam is not thick enough.

- thanks

Ace hardware, or all the department stores are starting to stock pool noodles, which are often too thick but can be shaved down and are actually great for making "flat blade" looking weapons if you're so inclined.

ACE hardware as was previously noted. Your local ACE may have it, you can certainly find in at their online store.

As per the weapon construction rules the absolute minimum a blade may be is 1 1/4" thick. That is 5/8" laying on 5/8" with no core. So absolute minimum with a .505" core is 1.755". Remember though that the tip must still measure 2" tall x 2" diameter. Some chapters will still fail such a weapon as the blade thickness is really close to eyeball socket sized without a tip.

It has been my experience though that such a weapon will wear out right wear the core ends at the tip more quickly than others constructed without absolute minimum measurements. Extra padding at the tip of the core will help with that somewhat. You will also always wind up with a phallic looking tip with these measurements.

--Chazz

Have you tried a plumbing store, a local hardware store (not the big chains), or just a person who does projects around the house. I know that my dad had some lying around, which I promptly stole. Also, if someone finds some for a good price, ask them to buy some for you, and then you can rendezvous at an event. I'd look around and bring some to the next NH event for you, but I won't be coming till June, as I'm finishing up my semester and then traveling some. Good luck though.

-Tim

I will look around. thanks for the suggestions

In Minneapolis I can pick up 1/2 in and 3/4in ID 5/8in wall pipe insulation from Menard's. It's reasonably durable stuff.

I've been messing around with mass weapon heads out of open cell foam. I've noticed that cutting it in flat angles with knives and scissors doesn't work terribly well. I'm tempted to find or make a hot wire foam cutter. I suspect that if you had the right tools you could cut a piece of open cell that would mate precisely with your pipe insulation and have an edge on the striking surface. Something like O>

Alternately, take a pair of thin fiberglass rods, epoxy the suckers together, and sandwhich them in a box of 5/8in foam. Basically, do what the Bel/Dag guys do with camp foam, but skip the camp foam for something softer. I don't know where you'd get a reasonably soft 5/8s closed cell in sheets, though. I'ma look me into this and see what turns up.

whorfin said:
This place is no longer making weapons for folks, but the blade pictured at the bottom of this page: http://larpsupply.com/_wsn/page8.html has a blade-like shape. The folks in SoCal who advised "Role Models" have used this company's weapons, and seem to like them. Even though they are no longer doing weapons, perhaps they could clue you in as to where they got their supply of foam.

http://larpsupply.com/_wsn/page6.html

Can we please make those crossbows legal? I swear I won't complain if a liche pistol whips me!

Basically would this be legal?

thinsword1.jpg

thinsword2.jpg

thinsword3.jpg

As you can see they have "fat" tips and waylay tips that are the 2" by 2" minimum. And although they look a little bit silly I don't think it looks too bad for a longsword, and they are boffers after all... I tried this design on a sword sword and it did look noticeably worse and didn't really help the weight anyways.

This guy has a 8" grip which can nicely fit two hands and the weight for a longsword is absolutely feather light and really makes it worth it.

Inquiry: Would thin camp pad style closed cell foam overlayed with open cell foam to bring it up to the 5/8" mark fly?

The only thing guaranteed to "fly" is 5/8" over PVC. Many chapters will accept alternative techniques if they feel it is up to par. But just because 1 allows don't expect others to as well.

I am not sure I'd pass open cell over camp pad. Of course I'd have to see it first no matter what. My thoughts though are that open cell doesn't last like closed cell especially in the blade area. Open cell also retains a lot more water and I question it after any bad weather. Then again if you used enough it would certianly be soft enough. So I guess I'd say that open cell over closed would fail if it were used to just bring it up to 5/8". Now if you used to bring it up to the 1"+ mark or some other point of ridiculous softness then I'd have to reconsider.

Multiple materials used to replace 5/8" pipe foam never really work out all that well IMHO. They never look as good and the weapons themselves mostly wind up dramatically heavier. Although I will say that I have a 1" PVC polearm I made for my first event. It uses 3 layers of 3/8" pipe foam because we had no access to 5/8". Other than tips that beast still passes after 8+ years. Please note that "Beast" is not an understatement. Looks like garbage and the weight is enough to knock a cow over with.

--Chazz

this may sound like a dumb question but the inquires above have me some what confused.. so to clarify...

so long as you have the 5/8 wall of closed cell foam around the blade you can thicken it with open cell foam with out worry of it auto-failing correct?

so for example if i am making a club and wish for it to cone up and outward and i start with a standard sword blade type with the 5/8 wall, then wrap it in open cell and shave it to be an angle it would theoretically pass so long as it didn't break any obvious rules.

As long as you left enough space (18" I believe) between the top of the handle and the start of where it begins to thicken, and it has enough volume to meet the blunt weapon minimums, then yeah.

Though oddly, if you were to make a sword, you could ignore both of thise things...

umm, yes. But your confusion has me worried that you are thinking something different than you are aking.

How else would you construct say the head of a club or axe or polearm? Just about every mace you've used at CT is UL core, 5/8' foam shaft with open cell taped on to create the head.

--Chazz

Babies are softer than open cell foam.

I'm gonna make sure to tell Kiersten to make a nephew check every time you have a weapon making session from now on.

True but their width makes them unsuitable for anything but the head of a 2-hander. Gotta maintain that minimum shaft measurement.

--Chazz

Back