Thinking Sarr...

orcbane

Hey everybody,

Sadly no helpful tips coming from me for this one. However, I'd like to ask the costume/makeup community about how exactly they DO their makeup. I have an idea in mind, should this Sarr idea play out, for costuming. Now, I'd like to put together and see the difficulty of the makeup itself.

In the Alliance handbook, the makeup shown is amazing for it. Now, I'm looking to see what exactly they did- and where they got their prosthetics.

Anyone know where I could find some of these prosthetics and makeup? I'd love to take a gander!

Thanks,
Andrew

For Sarr/Wylderkin prosthetics, NorthFur is king if you're willing to shell out for it. I paid just under $60 for a large rodent nose, fully painted with filament whiskers. As a side-note, get cold or hot latex. Slush cast feel uncomfortable and rigid.

The shots in the rulebook are using a 3/4 face prosthetic from Lyonshel, as I recall. I used one for my Sarr, back in the day. It looked absolutely great, but had a bit of trouble with it staying in place under heavy fighting so switched to makeup instead.

As far as makeup goes, it was a black leopard Sarr, so the makeup went much like a dark elf:

Clean face with astringent to get excess oils off.
Apply Barrier Spray to reduce sweating through.
Black eyeliner for the bits that are hard to get to near the eyelashes.
Black pancake makeup.
Barrier Spray again.

In order to avoid confusion (and for good looks) additional props were needed to properly represent the race. Ears and a tail are easy and helpful. Just be sure that if you're going to go for the top-of-head ears, you wear a headcovering that covers your own hears for better looks. For the body, I went with UnderArmor, since it was easy to get shirts and tights in the right color and comfortable under, well, armor. ;)

If you really want to go all out, and have the cash, something like these would be awesome. I've also been known to use something like these to make the illusion stretch a bit farther. Getting all the makeup on is fun, because a look in the mirror shows someone -completely- different from your everyday self, and it makes staying in character very easy.

Wraith said:
If you really want to go all out, and have the cash, something like these would be awesome. I've also been known to use something like these to make the illusion stretch a bit farther. Getting all the makeup on is fun, because a look in the mirror shows someone -completely- different from your everyday self, and it makes staying in character very easy.

Oh, don't worry! I was figuring contacts may be part of the mix were I to decide to go with it ;)

Thanks for the help thus far everybody, it's making me mighty tempted!

I do a face scrub, then airbrush my base coat on. Barrier spray, spend an hour painting on spots, then barrier spray. Stays on all weekend, comes off with a baby wipe.

My biggest problem with the lyonshel (I have one) is breathing. I have some pretty severe sinus issues and it just doesn't cooperate with those.

The mask in the rulebook is indeed lyonshel, which is now sold exclusively by Northfur FX (easily googled online). You can order them prepainted, custom painted, or unpainted, and in the general mask (which is a bit larger) female mask (which would be the one I use, which is a bit smaller.), or their 'great cat' mask (which I don't like personally but *Shrugs*).

I do both mask and makeup - I usually have a tendency to do mask Friday night/Saturday night, and then makeup sunday..sometimes doing make up during the saturday day shift. The setback to hotfoam masks (at least for my skin) is it doesn't give it a chance to breathe....and in hot weather it has a tendency of sliding around. I also make sure to hit the blank spots the mask doesn't cover on my face with makeup. I've also found underarmor in your respective color extremely helpful for taking care of any showing skin. Its a little expensive, but well worth it.

For makeup, I've found Mehron to be exclusively what I use these days, but I mostly use the cream, as trying to airbrush yourself white never goes well with liquid without many, many coats. (Speaking from a very, very cold experience.)

Some people do teeth, some don't. Some do contacts, some don't. My only recommendation is if you're not used to contacts, go without - it is something that takes a lot of getting used to, and your eyes can potentially get damaged for the sake of a little more IG. Plus, most (if not all- cant remember at present) big cats do not have the slit eyes anyways (if thats what you were going for).

You can also purchase tails at northfur.

Having been a sarr player for 5 years, if you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

-Ali

zehnyu said:
For makeup, I've found Mehron to be exclusively what I use these days, but I mostly use the cream, as trying to airbrush yourself white never goes well with liquid without many, many coats. (Speaking from a very, very cold experience.)

Listen, you... at least the calendar shot looks awesome. And we broke out the blow drier by coat number 5, which is where you'd stop for playing game. The camera was much less forgiving.

She's right, though. Dark colors go on well for airbrush, light colors can require a combination of sponged on and airbrushed, you have to experiment a bit to find the combo that works for you. Eyeliner around the eyelashes is key, I always do it for my dark elf and it helps decrease the mangy look.

The three-quarter lyonshel (now northfur) masks are also awesome for being woken up late at night for stuff. Just slap it back on your face - instant sarr. Yes normally you should complete the makeup, but for a quick late-night stint, you are obviously your character.

They also save a TON of paint work for tigers, jaguars, cheetahs and leopards... no need to repaint your stripes/spots every time.

I will agree though that in summer it's tough to keep them on, but a headband (like a leather one) or bandana helps with that a bit.

But yeah, Ali's the sarr in the calendar (and one of the current longest-running sarr I know of).

For getting into the FEEL of a character you'd be amazed what they do.

Be wary though that if you're like me and have a larger nose, the female mask will not fit you properly. I had to get one of the "regular" masks and trim the sides down a bit. Which is why everybody thinks the sarr on the rulebook cover is a dude. <ahem>

Ezri said:
The three-quarter lyonshel (now northfur) masks are also awesome for being woken up late at night for stuff. Just slap it back on your face - instant sarr. Yes normally you should complete the makeup, but for a quick late-night stint, you are obviously your character.

>.>

The airbrushed makeup stays on while I sleep. Minor touch-up's in the morning around the neck from shirt rubbing (in general) and I'm good to go.

Also, eating food without having to take off your face. :p

Also part of why I couldn't go back to full-face masks : Moustaches are right out. ;)

Ezri said:
Be wary though that if you're like me and have a larger nose, the female mask will not fit you properly. I had to get one of the "regular" masks and trim the sides down a bit. Which is why everybody thinks the sarr on the rulebook cover is a dude. <ahem>

Totally knew it was a female :p. Thanks a ton for your input :). I was figuring masks like that would be a good call, as our last event someone who required a bit of makeup was ran to get woken up. Not sure if she was, however.

Back