Thrown Weapon Information

I could use some help. I've been asked to make a few thrown weapons (like daggers) and I'd like to know what others have done that has been successful. Over the years I've forgotten how some of the good ones I've seen were made. What type of foam works best? Thin or thick duct tape? What shapes have worked best for range or accuracy? What is not going to hurt someone OOG? I'm looking for hands on experience not theoretical answers.

Thanks!
Michael Hynes

ps. I made a prototype based off of something I have seen in another LARP. It is a closed cell pipe foam throwning dagger using the thick Duct brand duct tape. It looks good and flys ok but it can really hurt if you throw it hard. Back to the drawing board.

My future Platypus scavenger (he's in my sig now) is going to have boomerangs. I doubt I'll actually be able to get foam to behave like a boomerang but I at least want it to look blatantly obvious that I have boomerangs. I'll be eyeballing this thread with anticipation.

Telokh_Amdo said:
My future Platypus scavenger (he's in my sig now) is going to have boomerangs. I doubt I'll actually be able to get foam to behave like a boomerang but I at least want it to look blatantly obvious that I have boomerangs. I'll be eyeballing this thread with anticipation.

I know that there are some 'soft sculpt' boomerangs in existance - nothing but foam. But not sure they'd pass current guidelines. You might get a local marshall to allow them though.

Platy with a boomerang - I love it. :D

Mike Hynes you may want to try the shape of a "kuni" made our of open cell foam. This design has been used very well over the years in HQ. The weight comes from the duck tape. The attached picture is just an example, an alliance Kuni would be a bit bigger but it does work.

http://static.instructables.com/deriv/F ... MEDIUM.jpg

Justin H-

Again this is just an example, due to the way it was constructed it's not Alliance safe but if you make it bigger and wider it will have a good throwing range and should pass.

I've seen foam apples and oranges and bananas as thrown fruit in Seattle..

Opening a town wave battle with a thrown tomato = awesome.

I've used very well balanced foam throwing axes before, as well as a wine bottle, several rocks, and a throwing disc shaped like a frisbee.

That last one flew forever.

Coolest thrown weapon I made was a playing card. Open cell foam 1/2" thick, otherwise at playing card dimensions, using gaffing tape and kite tape for the designs. I had a royal flush set with an effective range of about 30 feet.

We had a girl that played many years back that had one of those Xena throwing rings she used a lot. Got good frisbee throw but with the space in the middle it had less tendency to fly off in random directions due to wind sheer.

thrown weapons have to be the squishy seat foam right? as opposed to the firmer pipe insulation tube foam? I'm curious because my husband is making a throwing or bonking weapon that is a broken wine bottle and we used the softer cushion foam and then duct taped it for prettiness...i would think the firmer pipe insulation tube foam would....smart if whacked a bit hard with it?

I've got about seventy pieces of open cells that are disc shaped. They are about an inch and a half think and roughly 18 inches in diameter. I plan on covering them in duct tape and using them like frisbees.

Collin

that actually sounds like fun....not that theres a ton of down time to play games but...ya never know on a rainy weekend...frizbee in the tavern????? fun fun fun

Laguna Hallik said:
I've got about seventy pieces of open cells that are disc shaped. They are about an inch and a half think and roughly 18 inches in diameter. I plan on covering them in duct tape and using them like frisbees.

Collin

You might want to experiement with aerodynamics. A hole added to the center might make them fly better and thus give you better chance of hitting your target. The best size of hole would need to be determined

So then wouldn't a foam frisbee or playing card which is only 1/2" thick be in violation of that rule?
~Joe

Morai said:
So then wouldn't a foam frisbee or playing card which is only 1/2" thick be in violation of that rule?
~Joe

In violation - yes. However, local marshals have the right to pass weapons on a case by case basis. If deemed safe enough, they will allow them.

A royal flush with an efective range of 30 feet sounds amazing! =D

Back