Thrown Weapons

Nikorisu

Artisan
Hey, when I was at the April event, I tried a few thrown weapons that were laying around in monster camp and they seemed terribly inaccurate because they had absolutely no weight. I went to the rulebook to check if there was a way around this and I cant see one. My question is: has anyone found a way to effectively use thrown weapons? preferably small ones, around 5-10 inches

I don't use them super often anymore but when I did it was usually from about 5-10 feet away. The light type that are in monster camp work decently at that range, sort of a middle range before the enemy gets close enough for melee. I'd be impressed if you could find a way to make thrown weapons work as a primary weapon.

Generally, no. We used to, a decade or so ago, have some fairly effective javelins because at the time and under that much older ruleset, it was acceptable to weight them.

The present rules for thrown weapon construction do not allow them to be weighted or cored.

Thrown Weapons can be of many different shapes and sizes. They must be constructed with no core and may not be internally weighted with hard materials. These weapons can never be used as a melee weapon in a fight; they must be thrown. Because they can be odd sizes and shapes, they must be approved on a case-bycase basis. All Thrown Weapons may be used to Waylay. Thrown Weapons with any single measurement over 24 in. / 61 cm. should be tagged as a “Heavy Thrown Weapon” and will have a base damage of 3 instead of 2. Chapters may rule that some specific Thrown weapons, called Boulders, may only be lifted by creatures with Superhuman Strength and the skill Thrown Weapon. Boulders are usually represented by garbage bags full of wrinkled paper or open cell foam and will be tagged appropriately

By the letter of the rules, you might be able to build a more throwable thrown weapon out of heavier closed cell foam, however I would highly recommend that it be padded with open cell to pass a marshal's safety inspection, and not have any narrow edges to protect your fellow players' eyes in case of accidental face shots.

"May not be internally weighted with hard materials"

I think that verbiage was added to keep people from using things like batteries to weight javelins. You can still use softer, relatively dense stuff to weight thrown weapons. It's admittedly not as effective as a battery, but a duct tape "slug" (just a bunch of tape wrapped up on itself) works well enough to add a little weight. I think the threshold for what isn't allowed is basically anything that would be legitimately unsafe to throw at someone unpadded.

I have a few latex throwing daggers I am not currently using yet, if you wanted me to bring them to try out. I just got them from an online store myself.

Yep- just look for the caterpillar-kyn.

Back