Thrusting Tips on Homemade Boffer Weapons

Traceroo

Rogue
Hiya Everybody!

I've just been appointed as an official Weapons Marshal for Alliance Denver. I'll be assisting Jesse by conducting weapons safety check at future events. I'm also happy to check any player weapons at our Sunday fighter practices at Ladybug Park in Arvada.

After speaking with several players making their first attempts at constructing their own boffer weapons, my understanding is that the published guidelines on traditional boffer weapon construction may not be sufficiently clear in description of proper construction of the tips of weapons at both ends.

To define our terms: In traditional round-blade boffer weapons, closed cell foam is the pipe insulation that you use for the length of the blade of the weapon. In flat-blade weapon construction, you might use camp foam for this purpose.

In both round blades and flat blades, the closed cell foam should extend 1" past the core of the weapon at both ends. The core should be completely encased in foam so that no part of the core sticks out beyond the foam. Obviously, this is to ensure that there's no chance of beating your friends at Alliance with raw pipe since they tend to take that rather personally.

The gap between the end of the weapon core and the end of the closed cell foam should be packed densely with little bits of spare foam. For traditional round-blade weapons, make a + sign with tape over the end cap to keep that plug of spare foam in there.

Open cell foam is the stuff that throw pillows are made out of.

When I make weapons, I cover the open cell foam in cling wrap. I find that helps keep the duct tape from sticking to itself. It also makes the tips reuseable when they may separate from the weapon -- whereas once duct tape touches open cell foam, it is never ever coming off. Use an X-Acto blade or a thumb tack to poke a million air holes in the cling wrap once applied.

The end of your weapon which faces your opponent needs to have 2" of open cell foam at the end. That means that beyond the end of the pipe core, there will be 1" of closed cell foam, plus an additional 2" of open cell foam for a total of 3" of some kind of foam between pipe and opponent. The open cell foam will condense (squish down, essentially) when you put the final tape over it. My personal recommendation is that you cut your open cell foam to 2.25" to compensate for this before you tape it.

I further recommend personally that you tape the blade section of the weapon by itself before adding the open cell foam thrusting tip. Thrusting tips are the section of weapons that need most frequent repair. If you tape the blade separately from the tip, then replacement of tips is quick and easy -- You don't have to cut down the whole end of the blade to redo it.

The pommel of your weapon (the end which you hold) always needs the 1" of closed cell foam beyond the pipe described above no matter what. It needs the 2" of open cell foam if the weapon will be used in conjunction with the Waylay skill. If anyone on your team has Waylay or may pick up that skill, consider adding this to your own weapons as a courtesy even if you don't use the skill. Although not required by the safety rules, another personal recommendation that I will offer to you is that you add at least 1" of open cell foam as a thrusting tip simply for improved safety. It is possible, if we hope unlikely, that you may catch someone on the backswing with your weapon. As a Weapons Marshal, I won't fail weapons for lack of open cell foam at the pommel; this is just a personal recommendation you may wish to consider for maximum safety of your weapon construction.

The last part of that process I will clarify which may not be clear in the published guidelines is that you need to poke holes through the tape over both thrusting tips. This is just to make air holes so that the tips are squishy and condense with the impact of striking your opponent. I find that an X-Acto blade is the right tool for this purpose, although some people prefer to use a thumbtack. Poke a million holes in every surface of the thrusting tip, including all around the sides, not just the top. If you made a + sign with two layers of duct tape during the taping process, you might wish to pause to poke the holes in the first layer before moving on to the second layer of tape -- Makes it easier at the end of the process.

If anyone has questions about this process, I am happy to bring weapons making supplies (with notice) to Sunday fighter practice in Arvada to demonstrate these items. I live in Westminster and work in Broomfield, and if you're in my neck of the woods or would like to come up here, I'm also happy to get together to show any of our players how to make weapons.

Please don't hesitate to post questions here, contact me privately through Facebook, or email me at trace.moriarty@gmail.com.

Trace Moriarty
Weapons Marshal, Alliance Denver

Last edited:
Great tips Trace, Thanks a ton.

Foam and You

So I noticed there is a lot of discussion about what types of foam to use for what, and it can get quite confusing.
So here are my two cents. This is a tutorial on Foam types (and I have no idea what is/isn't approved, so do not use this as a reference).

1. The fundamental difference between closed and open celled foam has to do with how its made. Foam is made of cells with air in the middle. Closed cells are like stacks of balls that individually hold air inside them and squish only because the air inside gets compressed.
Open celled is foam where there are partial cell walls and the air can more or less freely flow between them.

This picture should give you a basic example
th.jpg

There are literally hundreds of types of foams out there. Most are not suitable for LARP and those that are will have different purposes. Hard foams (Polystyrene or Rigid Urethane) foams are not good choices - Polyethylene, Foam Rubber, and Foam Latex are more often used for making weapons.

A few common ones mentioned for LARPs (Not all of these names are official, as many are catagorized by their IEDD numbers or other names depending on where you buy it):

Polyfill (AKA Fiberloft / AKA Buffalo Snow)
il_340x270.404367968_jq8o.jpg
abhay1213-250x250.jpg

Not technically a "foam" but a bundle of fibers. Often used for pillows and stuffed animals. This comes in a loose and pressed form.
In LARP it would probably be most useful for thrown weapons and other soft props, but not great for weapon tips as it will break down fairly quickly and need replacement often.

Cushion Foam
LUXRfoam2.jpg

This comes in a variety of ILD Densities. This is typically what I have seen people recommend for weapon tips (medium density).
It can be gotten at most craft stores and is available in 1/2" - 6" packages (usually).

Memory Foam
upload_2014-4-8_15-5-19.jpeg

Do not confuse this with the foam above. It is a hybrid of open and closed cell foams with a bunch of strange properties. However, it is way too dense to be a good choice for most LARP weapons (for one thing, it takes too long to spring back, and it becomes hard as a rock in cold weather).

Camp pad foam
478588.jpg

When people talk about flat weapons, most people seem to be talking about this stuff. I think it must be really popular because it is cheap, generally available at Walmart for about $5 a roll.

Pipe insulation foam
PipeInsul2.jpg

Check with your local chapter for the actual Type and requirements for this foam.
Not to be confused with Pool noodle (which is allowed in a few LARPs, but not recommended for this one).
It would appear that the one on the Right is what is recommended for Alliance Denver. I have seen it occasionally in stores, but cannot find any good pictures online.

These are not good choices for weapons:
images

Water Pipe Insulation. Has a fairly shiny outside and a very squishy feel. This has a higher latex content than the ideal pipe insulation foams.

Pipe_Insulation_FG.jpg

Fiberglass. This really should not ever be used for anything LARP related. This is not the beige pipe insulation you are looking for.

itw-styrofoam-extruded-polystyrene-xps.jpg

XPS / Polystyrene / AKA Industrial Pipe insulation. Does not flex at all. I actually love this material for carving props. But its not what is recommended for weapons.

Hope that helps clear things up.
Feel free to add your two cents. Once again, this is just a basic tutorial on foam types that are often talked about, check with a martial for density, and ILD type requirements.
These sites have good explanation of different foam types here - http://www.rickmayercycle.com/foam.html and http://foamprops.com/about/facts.htm

**this post has been corrected with advice from statements below.
The reason I have not strictly called these closed vs open celled foams, is because there are literally hundreds of foams in both categories that would be bad choices. The material that the makes up the walls of the foam makes as much difference as the foam type.

Last edited:
Thanks, Luna!

Polyfill should not be used on weapon tips; only open cell foam (described as cushion foam above). Memory foam should not be used in any part of Alliance weapons.

The Alliance rulebook does not expressly prohibit use of "fun noodle" or "pool noodle". I don't recommend its use since it's heavier than closed cell foam or "pipe foam" as Luna describes it -- Safe, but not the ideal building material for reasons of weight and aerodynamics (yes, I went there!). [NOTE: This post edited after Luna changed the picture above, pardon me if this now seems a bit disjointed.] The kind of foam with the correct composition, weight, and density is usually beige when manufactured. Ace Hardware locations carry it -- Lowes, HomeDepot, and McGuckins (I believe) do not carry it. If your foam is black or lime green, it's probably not the right kind -- different weight, density, thickness, and so forth.

The exception to the above statement is for the more expensive, mail order (only) foam which is ideal for use with ultralite cores such as fiberglass kite poles or golf clubs. You can purchase it from McMaster-Carr: http://www.mcmaster.com/#4530k161/=rgnuer

Please note that McGuckins in Boulder has said in the past that it can order that type of foam for you for ultralites, but what they have provided to others (although it may have had a similar stock number) was not quite the same thing. If the foam you get from McGuckins is black, and "slick" on the outside instead of having that pourous look like what's pictured above, that's not the right stuff. It's made of different material than that which I've linked from McMaster-Carr.

If you have any questions about this process, how to build a safe weapon, our local requirements, where to purchase supplies, any of that, please contact me anytime.

Thanks,
Trace Moriarty
Weapons Marshal, Alliance Denver

Last edited:
Some resources for you:

Fiberglass Weapon Cores
Good source for ultralite fiberglass cores -- Shout out on the message boards to see if anyone wants to go in on a larger order with you to qualify for the volume discount pricing. $8 for a .505 core is a good price:
https://goodwinds.com/7018.html

Black Foam to Use with Fiberglass Weapon Cores
PVC foam with an interior diameter to match the fiberglass or golf club cores. Exterior diameter matches standard PVC foam. No "pie slice" cutting needed:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#4530k161/=rnctz5

Kite Tape/Sail Tape
"Spinnaker Repair Tape": Ultralite kite tape/sail tape/nylon ripstop tape (same thing). There is only one manufacturer of this, so every merchant will have the same color choices -- and it is not made in brown or grey/silver. If you find a place that calls it "grey" the color is actually more like periwinkle blue; trust me on this one. Shop around for good price per foot ($.30/ft is good):
http://www.apsltd.com/c-4455-sailrepairtape.aspx

Strapping Tape
Strapping tape guards against lateral and diagonal torque, and is great for connecting the infrastructure of your weapon, i.e., holding the foam onto the core. You can buy this at Walmart in the stationery section, but this 3/4" width saves you some annoying cutting if you make a lot of weapons - eligible for Amazon Prime shipping, too!
http://www.amazon.com/Intertape-RG-...qid=1398181882&sr=8-6&keywords=strapping+tape

PVC/Fiberglass Epoxy
Many of the ultralite weapons I build utilize a "hybrid" grip with a short length of 1/2" PVC glued over the fiberglass core around the grip for better balance and comfort. This is the product I use to glue PVC to fiberglass. Don't be stingy with how much you apply. Has to lay still to dry for 24 hours. Found at Lowes:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_44649-69-1363118_0__?productId=3220051

One additional note on light cores...a cheater method of getting them for people who don't want to spend $8 on a core just yet or who are making bulk weapons for NPC camp.

Golf repair stores. These places tend to have a barrel full of cores that have been sheered off by clumsy golfers which they are happy to give away for FREE. You DO NOT want fiberglass, as the integrity of the pipe is likely compromised by the damage. Aluminum is right out. Graphite however will usually break cleanly. Inspect before using and if in doubt, go see Trace with your cores.

Now, here's how you get these free cores...

1) Go to Golfsmith or similar store.
2) Ask where the club repair desk is.
3) Wander to said desk with smile on your face.
4) Explain that you work with a group that has ties to the Girl Scouts (true) and you wondered if they had any broken graphite shafts that would be just thrown away.
5) They will stare at you oddly, then offer you access to a bin filled with cores. Grab a handful, making sure none are cracked. You want clean breaks, no splintering.
6) Take your pile of free weapon cores home.

If you need to cut these down, make sure to duct tape them first. Graphite will shatter if you hit it with a saw, but cuts smoothly if you wrap it first.

Also, when in doubt, hit the Goodwill or Savers, you can buy Graphite and Fiberglass golph clubs for around a bucks apiece.

Jim, how do you cut graphite cores? Do you use a Dremmel?

Trace

I use a dremmel, but I've used a jigsaw in the past. So long as it's taped, it's nice and clean.

I've done the same with a Hacksaw, it's slower, but if you have a fine toothed blade, and wrap the shaft like Jim suggested it's a very cheep option for those just starting out.

I know most people will follow what Trace said above concerning gluing their PVC to their core for a grip if they go that way, but I definitely have to echo what she linked is the RIGHT STUFF. I went purchasing before I got all the information and ended up trying JB Weld because it said it worked on 'PVC' and worked on 'Graphite'/'Fiberglass'. I was not stingy, but after 3/4 a fighter practice, the impacts broke the grip free since it didn't bond the PVC to the core, just built up between. I've since re-glued with the epoxy she linked and it is the strongest bond I've ever seen.

OMG Dremmel! Why have I not used you before, my Arms love you forever!

Wanna say thanks for all the awesome tips. I picked up 4 graphite golf drivers at the thrift store for under 5 bucks. Now to break out the tools.

I'm going through the pains of creating my first weapons right now. I'm like 99% certain that my warhammer wouldn't pass safety. I had the BRIGHT idea to take two pieces of open-cell foam for the "head" of the weapon, to make them stick together, I used Locktite 12 spray adhesive, now I have a sheet of glue between the two halves of the head and it doesn't fully compress.

Also I went with the black pipe insulation (not the shiny exterior) because that's all my Lowes had in stock.

Then I found this by searching other chapters' forums on here and found this link for pipe insulation:

http://www.doitbest.com/main.aspx?pageid=64&sku=436193

I've purchased it, it's not bad if your using PVC as yoru core. If your using Fiberglass or Graphite cores the diameter of the inner hole is to small.

Seth, your warhammer reminds me of a throwing hammer I made over 20 years ago for my first larp. It used a golf tube (the plastic tubes that go in your golf bag that clubs go into) as the shaft and then open cell couch foam as the head. I duct taped it all up and used it like I was Thor. Unfortunately it never came back to me.

Lol, nice, Cedric. I ended up using my pipe cutter and just removing the head from the hammer in its entirety. Then I cracked open the Alliance rulebook and actually followed the directions about building the weapon like a normal sword, then securing the head to the shaft (there's no other way to phrase that) with duct tape. Now my hammer is ugly as hell, but it shouldn't hurt anyone.

Maybe I should just pony up for that Paladin Warhammer by Windlass that I liked so much, lol.

Back