To fend off the Void

Lurin

Duke
First off, let me congratulate and thank the adventuring community for their efforts in and near my lands over this past week. It does our king honor to see the vast support this effort is given and I know so many under my care sleep safer knowing that the dangers they fear are prowling the night are being dealt with.

As many have noticed, I have been absent at times, while this is partly due to the my continuing efforts in the war it's also partly due to what I am about to reveal.

The Tower

For those that can remember the Tower appeared just over two years ago with a deadly challenge, with only the knowledge that at the top was something the elder dragons believed we would be in desperate need of to save the world. Now why dragons can't just share what we need is beyond me, but I chose to rise to the challenge, as at the time the Knight had the Kazzik situation well in hand so while I was proud to assist with that so many worked so well to identify and counter that threat.

For those who are aware, the tower was indeed cleared, although it was only through the unexpected sacrifices of those scouting the 99th floor, I must thank my personal guards for coming to my rescue when the loss of an innocent life cause me to attempt to confront the final floor alone.

The tower has been destroyed by a wish made to the Djinn, so this will be the last time the tower is seen in our lands, and that may very well be a good thing.

At the Top

At the top of the tower was a confluence of the three elder dragons and they offered me an extremely powerful artifact to personally wield to confront the coming of void. But....I did not climb the tower along, and I could not climb or defeat the tower along, nor do I intend to try to confront the below danger to our world. So instead I had the dragons imbue my well with the power of an artifact, that I might empower champions from all walks of life, against this threat instead, for that is my role as a noble of these lands.

The Threat

For those who have traveled well you may have heard of a plane known only as 'The Void' to put it simply this plane is exact opposite to our material plane. Where the two meet, there becomes...nothing. The Void is attracted to planes by the use of the eight forbidden magics. Think the use of these magics like candles in the dark attracting bugs, the longer the candle burns, the brighter it's light shines, the more insects are attracted. So to is Void the same, and if the attraction becomes to strong we could lose our world to the Void like so many others have. Including the Deadlands and others.

I am not fully aware of the eight magics but it's time to start listing them, along with that there are Uhnies (pronounced oo-nye-s) These are artifacts that are able to tap into the eight seeds. I currently believe these are the magics long ago locked away within the Sapphire kingdom that has recently re-emerged. An Uhnie is both a problem and a solution, as it draws from the seed, or source of a forbidden magic, but in doing so obviously allows the user to call upon them, which is a problem. So the magics most likely to be in use will be the easiest to find.

My Plan

Work with others to locate the seeds, either through the Uhnies or other resources and counter them by whatever means necessary before the Void itself can be attracted to our lands. To do this I plan to use what additional magic my well can handle once the dragons have each spent 3 days imbuing it as per an artifact of it's own right.

To this end I am looking for volunteers to be the recipients of this power, with the understanding that while I will do my best I cannot promise your safety, nor can I be sure in what what this power will strengthen you as it will likely depend largely on your own nature, and the nature of the magic you are hunting.

The List

The Forbidden Magics include

Blood - > No current Uhnie, confirmed to be destroyed
True Name -> No current Uhnie, confirmed to be destroyed
Time -> The Limpet Pool of Time
Creation/Life -> The pool of purity
Void -> Unknown Uhnie
Spirit - Unknown Uhnie
Destruction/Shadow -> Unknown Uhnie
Nature -> Unknown Uhnie

These magics do NOT include Chaos (which is illegal, but not forbidden/call the void level) or Shadow (which is an elemental plane) Assistance completing this list would be helpful.

If you've read this far, you have my thanks, if you wish to assist in this please let me know, because all my efforts will be fruitless if others do not stand up to head the call, although I will do all I can to avert this disaster, and for once, it seems we might be ahead of the times enough to avoid a needless final confrontation, or at least that is my dream.

-Baron Enan Bluewater
Keeper of the Azure Ridge
Loyal Citizen of Wayside

Last edited:
Baron Bluewater,

After speaking to the Grandmaster of the Earth guild this market. The three magics you are missing are Spirit, Shadow/Destruction, and Nature.

I will assist in anyway I can although I will not be volunteering to be a recipient of power.

Ser Foss Fairfax

Bluewater,
the least you can do is say her name, after all we named her after you. Her death did not "cause" you to return to the tower alone. You chose to do that. And after your return, barely a word to me. No visiting her grave, no words of condolence. In fact I dare say it felt like you were avoiding the issue. Was Enara just a footnote to you? You left last market day without a word to me about the death of one of your own. I am ashamed to be associated with you and the Keep right now.

Neolani

Last edited by a moderator:
Baron Bluewater,

I will do what I can to assist you.

Corbell

Bluewater,
the least you can do is say her name, after all we named her after you. Her death did not "cause" you to return to the tower alone. You chose to do that. And after your return, barely a word to me. No visiting her grave, no words of condolence. In fact I dare say it felt like you were avoiding the issue. Was Enara just a footnote to you? You left last market day without a word to me about the death of one of your own. I am ashamed to be associated with you and the Keep right now.

Neolani,

I came to you twice, both times I was told in no uncertain terms I was either interrupting, or that you were quite too busy to talk. I did indeed visit the now empty grave after my assault on the tower, and I have never imposed myself upon you when it was made clear I was unwelcome. I will allow you to grieve for your child however you would like, and accept the fact you may blame me for her death, unforeseeable that it was. Returning to the tower was indeed my choice, but that choice was influenced heavily by the loss of a sweet girl that played with my own children. Feel whatever you must, condemn me if you wish, but know that if you ever have a need my lands will fulfill it, even if you choose not to associate with me directly in the future.

Foss,

Thank you for the notes, although there may be some confusion as to what shadow is, as it is a plane that has been accessed for a long time and I wonder if the forbidden magic's name has been sheltered under another due to it's nature.

Corbell,

Thank you, I will do my best to ensure you are kept informed as soon as a path forward reveals itself.

Eloquently said Bluewater. You can likely win the war of words being one of the "important" people and me just being a lowely kin. But your attitude after the fact reeked of arrogance and a flippancy about the whole thing. And as eveyone knows, perception is everything. It's not me I am angry for regarding this attitude, the attitude of business as usual. It's Enara. Make me believe you are grieving, make me believe you care. Make everyone believe it, because trust me when I say it... there aren't many that do.

Ooh, last time I was in town, a couple of us saw some weird gargoyles that the locals said a gray-skinned Gnome and some goblins had done something to to make them come to life! They weren't actually harmin' anyone, just bein' kinda tricky and annoyin', but I do remember the Gargoyles calling on Creation before they cast their magic! So maybe that Gnome has the Creation Uhnie, and maybe there are goblins around that might know where that Gnome is! I could be wrong about the Creation thing, though, so maybe someone else who was there should see if they remember the same thing I do!

Do we have any idea what kind of stuff the Uhnies might be? What does it take to destroy one? Was the Blood Uhnie that creepy book soaked in blood from a while back, since I'm assumin' that got destroyed? And what was the True Name Uhnie? Was it one of the rings that the True Name Bandit guys wore or somethin'? Maybe the Void Uhnie is that super Voidy book that Malthus the Void Guy (he probably had a better title - maybe it was Lord of Shadows? It's been a while, and I can't quite remember it) had! Or maybe it's somethin' the Dreadlord had, like the Black Sword or his helm (which might have just been called the Black Helm)? What ever happened to those, anyway? Did we destroy those?

And, uh, I sorta feel awkward for askin', but... can someone explain what all happened at the Tower?

~ Silp

Silp,

Contact me privately and when I am calm enough to speak of such things, will let you know all that transpired that day......

Nahani

Nehani, Neolani,

I mean no disrespect, but I feel your grief is clouding your view of the situation. I hope you will at least consider my words since I'm just a 'lowly' kin like yourselves...

I have not known the Baron, or any of you, very long. So I won't bother with much of my opinion here, as you are likely to ignore. But I will tell you what happened that day.

The Baron and I were sitting outside the tavern when the Lady Cyn approached to give us the horrible news. Once the Baron had obtained as much information as he could, including where the girl was to be buried, he sat in silence for a long while, tears running down his cheeks.

Eventually he began to stir again and I asked him if he was going to be ok. He said that he would be, once he fixed it. With that he stood and made for the Waystone. I saw what was happening, I panicked, hearing him speak the words to bring him to that dreadful tower. I let him go, knowing it could mean his death. Too frightened to do otherwise.

Aftetwards, I immediately alerted the town and it was arranged that Arc, Lu, and myself would go after the Baron. There, we too faced our worst fears. But nothing like the loss the two of you faced.

I hope the Baron is not upset that I am sharing this, but I believe I know what fear he faced in the tower that day. A fear that had already come true. The Baron faced your dead child's body, that was his greatest fear. Watched as that Fae tried to reanimated the corpse, and doing everything he could to keep her at peace. The only thing he could do at that point.

When we finally made it to the end of the tower, the Baron was asked what he desired for his reward. He asked for Enara back. He asked for all the events of that day to be undone.

The tower refused.

So he took what he could get.

I'm sorry for your loss, I respect your grief, I understand your hurtful words are said in sorrow. But, please, understand we did everything we could.

Crescent.
A fellow lowly kin.

Crescent,
I appreciate you telling me this. I don't doubt that this is how it happened, but this explanation was for the Baron himself to tell me, not you.
The Baron had close to a whole day to approach me on this subject. Every time I saw him, he was laughing and playing with you, or schmoozing with other important people.
I can only assume from this that I was lower on his list of priorities than said above activities or whatever else he was doing Saturday night or Sunday. Or that he was afraid to face me.
At this point it doesn't matter anymore what the reasons were. His actions or lack thereof are what matter.
I got personal condolences from almost everyone in town and even some from friends in other lands and have recieved an overwhelming amount of emotional support from those I had no connection to other than them being fellow adventurers.
On the day I most needed the love and support of my leader, which I would never have hesitated to give if the situations were reversed, all I recieved was the bare minimum, if that.
I also know if this had happened to you, he would be all about giving you the attention you would need and deserve. Enjoy being his new favorite while you can... it won't last.
Neolani

Neolani,

You were offered my attention, you rebuffed it, twice. While I resurrected in the hands of another Friday night, I do not bear you ill will for not coming then. All you had to do was approach me, after rebuffing me twice, and I would have given you anything I had to offer.

I am a Baron, I do not have the privilege to bear my grief openly, Not for Enara, not for Cehn, not for Hrek, not for Tumin, not for Lisonra, not for Grandel, not for Kol, not for any of the of others I have dealt with in this month alone. War is not clean nor can every innocent be saved.

Someone asked me to promise that there would be no more dead children, they have no idea of the true nature of this war and the slavery that comes with it....

Further venting will not change things, but you may of course do what you will, but this will be the last time I address this publicly.

-Baron Enan Bluewater

Ok,
I will say what Baron Bluewater refuses to say.

Enara, daughter of Neolani and Nahani had her spirit shattered on the 99th floor of the tower of heros when whatever intelligence controlling the tower rifted our two children into the room as our worst fears manifested into reality.

Every parent's worst fear is to lose a child and Nahani and I realized that fear that day. I stood in front of my little girl, powerless to stop her death.
I prayed it was some sort of illusion and did all I could to locate her, until her permanently dead body appeared in the tavern. Even then I prayed somehow there was some sort of trick.

Enan Bluewater's actions, however well intentioned caused the tower to pull her permanently dead body from her final resting place back to the tower and desecrate her gravesite and also her body with necromatic magic. That is the tower's fault, not Baron Bluewater's. However, Nahani and I aren't even aloud the solace of having her body.

My heart is on fire, and also as cold as ice. I want to explode and lash out but there is nothing I can do that will fix any of this. Nothing anyone can do. Not even the J'inn can bring back to life the permanently dead.

I wish I knew that her spirit was happy and where it is supposed to be but we don't even know where her spirit is. We couldn't find her. My 2nd sight was completely dark and I botched the ritual to seek her spirit.

In all reality her death is noones fault but my own as I was her mother. I just hope noone else has to bear the pain of losing as child. It will never ease, it will never go away. I will never ever be whole again.
This is all I can say about this matter. If anyone wishes to talk further, contact me privately.
Neolani

Nahani, Neolani, friends,

I wish to apologise for not speaking to you during the market faire. I heard about what occurred through another, and decided that, upon seeing you in a brief moment of comfort, I would wait and allow you time to grieve. I want to extend sincere condolences, whatever that may be worth. I also understand your frustration with the Baron. He does hold my respect, but your point does have validity. Our intentions in life do not matter, as our actions are all that is seen. I hope that emotions will cool over time, though I'll not presume to know what grieving parents feel.

Your friend,
Thorn

Nahani and Neolani,

I offer you the aid of my services. I am skilled at the craft of meditation and would be willing to sit with you and help you to find peace once more. This will be a long and arduous Journey but you do have others that need you. I can also offer the service of my mental abilities but I'm sure that you would refuse but they are there if you need them you need just ask.
Aramis

Nahani and Neolani,

I am so sorry and deeply saddened for the lose you both had this past market. I wish I could have been there to help you Nahani my good friend, and you Neaolani though we do not know each other that well. I have lost friends to adventuring, but never family and I cannot even begin to understand your pain right now.

If I can part the smallest bit of wisdom I can, I ask you to think on it.

First, what is dead is dead. It may seem like a good idea to seek them out but such actions never end well, and lead to more pain and heartache. Grieve, feel the pain, and in time that pain will lessen as you learn to cope with it. I wish there were another way, I really do.

Second, I ask you give Enan the opportunity to grieve in his own way as I am sure he is. Next market, perhaps the three of you can speak and the rift can be repaired. Friends are always worth holding onto.

Enan,

Good luck in your fight against void. I may have my own fight against it soon...

A final note, both of you are welcome in Dragons Reach. A change in scenery might help calm your minds.

-Fredrick Crawford

Nahani and Neolani

You know all I have said and all I believe in this.

I am honored the time we have spent together this week and the memories and pain we have shared.

From a mother who knows lost- no one can tell you how this will go or what you will feel. What you feel now is not passing, it will not lessen in time. Time only allows you to learn to live with it, adopt it as the new normal, but it never leaves and it never changes. Every moment will be bitter sweet and the pain just as real as it was the moment it happened. Learn to accept it and learn to live with it... the death of a child is now a part of you.

My love is with you both and Makk- and you have peace where you seek as well you know.

I will always be at Storm's Rose or Dragonreach, you know I stand with you.

Yours In Love,
Cyn

Lady IronRose of Storm's Rose
Special Envoy of King Grimlock to Dragonreach
Founder of Forgotten Hope
Mother

"My Life For Theirs"
"Defending the Dealings of Time and Space"

Back